Just getting started in Georgia

Ddawg

Hello all! This looks like a great group. The last plastic scale model I built was in the 80’s. I have built and flown RC for years, but I have always been fascinated with scale plastic models. WWII aircraft will be my primary focus.
I’ve been doing research on what to buy to start off with, but there’s a ton of choices out there.
Finding the basic tools has been straight forward, but I would love to get peoples thoughts on Air compressors and Airbrush kits, plus where to buy supply’s and Model kits.

Thanks!
David

Last edited:
I used to fly RC, but not so much anymore. I do have 3 projects I should finish one 'a these days.
My mom and step-dad used to live in the Kingsland-St. Mary's area. It's easy to find. Just look at a map and go as southeast as possible with going to Florida or into the Atlantic. There it is.
As far as airbrushes go, this is one of my favorites:
https://neoeco-airbrush.com/products/neoeco-nct-sj83-gravity-feed-dual-action-airbrush

The video embedded in that page is done by a guy who does a lot of airbrush, paint, and equipment reviews.
As far as compressors, my recommendation is to get a quiet compressor from a hardware store or home center.
This isn't the precise compressor I have (it's no longer available) but it's real close:
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...ompressor/3301842/p-1536042526175-c-12910.htm

I use it for airbrushing, plus small jobs around the house.

Welcome brother,
This is a great site full of excellent people all willing to help.

I would recommend Tamiya models the parts fit really well and easy. There is very little to zero flash to clean or sand.
Most of my models are from Tamiya the great thing about the company is they will send replacement parts small ones have been free. I tend to lose small parts. lol :D
Airfix is another good company too.
Or the good 'ol Revell/Monogram great kits. There is some flash, but manageable.

Some tools I got at Harbor Freight like "Exacto" type knives, clamps, and pin files.
Brushes; I used some of my older water color brushes others I bought at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby.
My air compressor and airbrushes from Amazon, it's not top if the line, but it gets the job done.

I hope this helps some. I'm looking forward to watching your builds.

Last edited:
Hello all! This looks like a great group. The last plastic scale model I built was in the 80’s. I have built and flown RC for years, but I have always been fascinated with scale plastic models. WWII aircraft will be my primary focus.
I’ve been doing research on what to buy to start off with, but there’s a ton of choices out there.
Finding the basic tools has been straight forward, but I would love to get peoples thoughts on Air compressors and Airbrush kits, plus where to buy supply’s and Model kits.

Thanks!
David
Hi David and welcome to the forum. Loads of help and advice to be had here.

I'm not long into the hobby, just a few years but I have found it best to get lower priced kit to practice with and then slowly replace it with better stuff. That way you don't end up spending a fortune on kit you will never use.

Looking forward to seeing your work. Pantherman

Hi David, welcome. I do mostly ww2 birds also and I'm a big fan of Paasche Talon airbrush and compresser. I use a .2 needle for like 80 percent of painting, never going over .3 needle.

If you like older kits I use Rare plane detective. Bought several old kits from them and never had issues and very timely delivery.

Overall my go to site for supplies is Scalehobbyist.
https://www.rare-planedetective.com/

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/account/login.php

Thanks for all the great Info! I ordered my first kit. It looks like a straight forward build that can be detailed as far as you want to take it.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61046-chance-vought-f4u-1-2-bird-cage-corsair--106391

Good choice! I generally, religiously, stead-fastly and without deviation, stick fully to the directions, but if you get brave enough to start doing any of this "detailing", coloring outside the line stuff, do keep us updated! I can't imagine deviating from the instructions personally, but I would absolutely love to see that kinda thing.

Rob.

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness. Lots of information here. Post pics of your progress. We all like to watch. :p
Tim

Good choice! I generally, religiously, stead-fastly and without deviation, stick fully to the directions, but if you get brave enough to start doing any of this "detailing", coloring outside the line stuff, do keep us updated! I can't imagine deviating from the instructions personally, but I would absolutely love to see that kinda thing.

Rob.
Thanks Rob, I tend to be of the same mind. To me, detailing means painting/weathering.

Me too! Maybe glue the canopy "open" instead of "closed"... Wheels up, wheels down... them's details I get hung up on.

Rob.

Welcome!!!
Post pictures as you go, lots of good advice here.
I love those WWII warbirds myself, it's my main interest.
Looking for a vintage kit try Mustang Hobbies.

Latest posts

Back