First Model in 6 years!

Hey builders!! It been some time since I have built or painted a model, I used to have a full airbrush kit with 40-50 tamiya colours, panel accents, and lots of weathering stuff. Unfortunately my health over the last 8 years hasn't been good. I ended up selling it all. But im finally getting back into building. Going to pickup a few models, paint, cement and whatever else I might need this Saturday. The only thing I won’t be getting right away is a airbrush kit. Im gonna start off using the Tamiya spray paint cans. I know lots of you have probably used it, im just looking for some imput on how everyone that has used it feels about it?

Did you like it?, did it come out looking good?

I know to use very light coats, im just gonna go slow with my first one and see how it comes out. Does anyone have any other advice for me besides slow and lots of thin coats?

Thanks!! MilitadyModeler1991

Welcome to SMA !

Sounds like you got rattlecan operation down .
Tamiya makes a great product . ( just pricey ;) )

Tamiya sprays are great and I actually use them when I can.

They spray very nicely and if you do thin coats you can even get some preshading effects by doing a panel line wash before spraying

Their AS-20 is a great color base for Star Wars models for example, and I use their TS-32 Haze Grey for Tie Fighters.

The Falcon here was painted with black primer, then AS-16, and then some lighter coats of AS-20 leaving some of the more recessed areas shaded.
Weathering was then done with pastels and oils

I did not use an airbrush on it at all

1708706043244.png

I also recently used AS-11 (I think) as the color for the Zero

The only downside is limited color range and most times your stuck having to go back to mixing paints

Last edited:
Hey builders!! It been some time since I have built or painted a model, I used to have a full airbrush kit with 40-50 tamiya colours, panel accents, and lots of weathering stuff. Unfortunately my health over the last 8 years hasn't been good. I ended up selling it all. But im finally getting back into building. Going to pickup a few models, paint, cement and whatever else I might need this Saturday. The only thing I won’t be getting right away is a airbrush kit. Im gonna start off using the Tamiya spray paint cans. I know lots of you have probably used it, im just looking for some imput on how everyone that has used it feels about it?

I know to use very light coats, im just gonna go slow with my first one and see how it comes out. Does anyone have any other advice for me besides slow and lots of thin coats?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

Hey now! Willkommen! I can't say much on Tamiya spray, I use there bottles for weathering and like alot...look forward to your builds!

I finally picked up a couple models, I got a Tamiya De Havilland Mosquito B MK IV. And also got this one. The Revell P-40B tiger shark. Both are in 1/48th scale as this has always been my favourite model scale size to build. Should bring back some of my skills I used to have. LOL

17F7F080-7BCB-4A4D-AAE0-DAC5529DE739.jpeg

I finally picked up a couple models, I got a Tamiya De Havilland Mosquito B MK IV. And also got this one. The Revell P-40B tiger shark. Both are in 1/48th scale as this has always been my favourite model scale size to build. Should bring back some of my skills I used to have. LOL

View attachment 114545
I have both of those kits in my stash.
Waiting until I get caught up on builds in progress then was thinking about doing the P-40.
Tim

I have both of those kits in my stash.
Waiting until I get caught up on builds in progress then was thinking about doing the P-40.
Tim
I just happened to come across this one. I went to a craft store in my town to grab some fine point brushes, and they had a isle of model kits. (Cars,bikes,military, ships) And they also had a massive 1:25th scale B17 Memphis Belle. But I found they had a lot of Tamiya products paint,putty,tools,models. And this one was only $23 so I figured why not

I just happened to come across this one. I went to a craft store in my town to grab some fine point brushes, and they had an isle of model kits. (Cars,bikes,military, ships) And they also had a massive 1:25th scale B17 Memphis Belle. But I found they had a lot of Tamiya products paint,putty,tools,models. And this one was only $23 so I figured why not
I also have an Airfix 1/48 P-40B Warhawk. It's the same plane just flown by different aviation groups.

I had that kit in my hand yesterday at Hobby Lobby. I shoulda just bought it for a future build. The P-40 is a classic!

A cool side note: 25years ago I was at small local airshow and there was a guy selling old military unit patches. He had an AVG Flying Tiger patch on the table for $20. It looked legit to me so I bought it. After I paid the man, I started asking questions about it, and to my amazement he didn’t really know what it was ( because he mainly sold Army Unit patches).

Last edited:
Welcome back into modeling! This is a great forum with a lot of people who are very supportive so it's a good, safe place to post as you've already noticed! Can't wait to see what you do with your Tamiya paint and Revell P-40!

Latest posts

Back