First model in 42 years. How time flies!

I just got back into modeling after many years but I have never tried to build with accuracy and detail...I was just a 12 year old kid back then! Now I want to build some highly detailed kits! I spent a lot of time gathering tools, and supplies and now I am slowly working on small parts, wheels and tires, etc...I need to finish my home made paint booth so I can lay down some body colors soon! As far as advice, patience and practice!
I Was the same when I was a kid I just threw them together but now got into wethering and a lot of detail and lovin it I got advise from other members and you tube

Welcome aboard Joe and what a grand entry you've got here with that Stearman. Glad that you got back into the hobby and am looking forward to seeing that Akagi build in action. I returned to the hobby 12 years ago after an on and off hiatus throughout much of my adult life and have been building full time now since. Great group of folks here and all willing to help out.

BTW.....looking forward to seeing that Akagi build.

bPbaxE.jpg

Welcome aboard Joe and what a grand entry you've got here with that Stearman. Glad that you got back into the hobby and am looking forward to seeing that Akagi build in action. I returned to the hobby 12 years ago after an on and off hiatus throughout much of my adult life and have been building full time now since. Great group of folks here and all willing to help out.

BTW.....looking forward to seeing that Akagi build.

bPbaxE.jpg
Yeah life got in the way LOL 10 years Navy and then years of getting a new career going etc. The Stearman is sentimental as I flew in it last summer and my profile pic is a selfie as I was a passenger. LOL My heart is into all things Navy related (Of course) and I am looking forward to building the Akagi and will post pictures. Thanks again.

Welcome back to the hobby. I have to admit I’ve stepped away for a bit and I’m also slowly creeping back.
That build came out really nice, I’ve thought about trying planes but just haven’t taken the plunge.

Erik
Go for it.....Pantherman

Just ordered the extinguisher. Now where did you get those chocks? :cool:
Scale hobbyist, Sprue Brothers, Ebay. They are made by wheeliant. Just do a search for 1/48-wheel chocks and they should pop up. In fact I just ordered a set earlier this week from Sprue Brothers.

Hi NavyJoe,
I've also recently returned to the wonderful world of modelling after a few decades away, and my advice mirrors what's mentioned above in terms of picking up new tips and techniques.
I spent several happy hours checking tips on YouTube and then got myself an airbrush to experiment with. Weathering techniques and things like panel line enhancers are great fun to work on trying. Magnifier visor and filler options have upped my game big style, as well as using sprue leftovers to modify with a lighter/heat for fine detail and modifications is also great to try out. Latex mask and fine strips of masking tape make canopy lines a breeze too (although not much call for that with WW2 era aircraft).
Any other questions just let us know, the lovely guys here have helped me immensely.
Happy modelling!

IMG20240312170716.jpg

IMG20240312170702.jpg

IMG20240312170639.jpg

Hi NavyJoe,
I've also recently returned to the wonderful world of modelling after a few decades away, and my advice mirrors what's mentioned above in terms of picking up new tips and techniques.
I spent several happy hours checking tips on YouTube and then got myself an airbrush to experiment with. Weathering techniques and things like panel line enhancers are great fun to work on trying. Magnifier visor and filler options have upped my game big style, as well as using sprue leftovers to modify with a lighter/heat for fine detail and modifications is also great to try out. Latex mask and fine strips of masking tape make canopy lines a breeze too (although not much call for that with WW2 era aircraft).
Any other questions just let us know, the lovely guys here have helped me immensely.
Happy modelling!

View attachment 116474

View attachment 116475

View attachment 116476
Nice build, I like it. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back