Hello, Im a Newbie Here, Recently retired and getting back into my childhood hobby of car models.

stevieb54

My first question here for the group is wheres the best place to buy automotive color or period correct spray paints? Specifically American classic cars. All the hobby stores near me in San Francisco area have gone by the wayside. TIA, Steve

Welcome Aboard !

Are you asking about rattle cans or bottled paint for airbrush ?

You can get a lot from the auto supply stores .
Duplicolor makes a lot of it . " touch up " paint .

Welcome!!!!
Lots of good info here, just ask away or dig around in the older posts.
Post pictures as you go, we do like to see.

My first question here for the group is wheres the best place to buy automotive color or period correct spray paints? Specifically American classic cars. All the hobby stores near me in San Francisco area have gone by the wayside. TIA, Steve
Hi and welcome to the forum. Loads of help available here. Pantherman

Thanks for the welcome/help and suggestions. Urumomo you suggested Duplicolor, they have tons of OEM colors but I keep reading where auto paint cant be used on styrene plastic, is there any truth to that? I have some factory touchup paint from Automotive Touch Up, but afraid it may dissolve the body.

No truth to that .
Those are either modified alkyds or acrylics , most likely the former , the amount of solvents like butyl acetate are too little to damage polystyrene ,
It actually contributes to the bond .

Primer first with an alkyd like Rustoleum's 2X series . really great stuff , and it puts more than enough between any hot coat and the plastic .

Thanks, one paint I have contains MEK and Methyl amyl ketone. Those names bring up memories of bad stuff.

MEK is methyl ethyl ketone .
Also known as Butanone . - just another ketone , but it is one of the most toxic .
It's been replaced by a lot of companies with ethyl acetate .

Welcome!

Thank you everyone for the welcome. May I ask another painting question, if its allowed to continue this thread? I see there is bottles of enamel paints. I bought an air brush many years ago, but never used it. Is this something hard to get the hang of, especially with using proper thinners or reducers when mixing paint? Is there a good place to look for instructions or guidance on this topic?

It's not difficult to use an airbrush , just takes some practice .
YouTube is full of videos on the subject .

Thank you everyone for the welcome. May I ask another painting question, if its allowed to continue this thread? I see there is bottles of enamel paints. I bought an air brush many years ago, but never used it. Is this something hard to get the hang of, especially with using proper thinners or reducers when mixing paint? Is there a good place to look for instructions or guidance on this topic?
It's mainly practice. Try some on old paper or card. You will get the hang of how the paint flows in time and what paint needs more or less thinning.
Just keep asking the forum if you need help, they certainly helped me when I started modeling. Pantherman

Thanks Pantherman, I watched a you tube video, it was very helpful. Mentioned some air pressures of about 25 psi, metallic about 30. Showed some thinning and results with different primer or basecoat colors. Was worth the 35 minutes.

Thanks Pantherman, I watched a you tube video, it was very helpful. Mentioned some air pressures of about 25 psi, metallic about 30. Showed some thinning and results with different primer or basecoat colors. Was worth the 35 minutes.
That's the way forward, now just spray like crazy and you will be telling us how to airbrush in no time.
Post pictures as you go so others can see and learn as well. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back