New here, Hello!

Sprue42

Hi folks,

My name is Ralph and I am about to have another go at scale modelling. I have not built a model kit for several decades and everything has changed. My airbrushes are getting on for 50 (yes fifty!) years old and the last time I painted a model, the only paint choice at my local model shop was Airfix or Humbrol enamels. I have been looking at all the now stuff out there and still trying to take it all in. I was an armour modeller and heavily into WWI 1:32 scale. I also modelled WWII in 1:76 and 1:35 scale. The choice of kits was fairly limited back then. At the time I worked for a now, long defunct model magazine. The editor there was a rail enthusiast and I spent a long time going down that path. Life and work took over and I spent many years away from the hobby. Now, retired and in my late sixties, I am coming back to the hobby.

Early days at the moment, but I am looking forward to catching up on the theory, while I build my new workshop/model room. I may have to buy some stuff on the way.

I look forward to joining in and I will probably be asking a few questions initially...

Hi folks,

My name is Ralph and I am about to have another go at scale modelling. I have not built a model kit for several decades and everything has changed. My airbrushes are getting on for 50 (yes fifty!) years old and the last time I painted a model, the only paint choice at my local model shop was Airfix or Humbrol enamels. I have been looking at all the now stuff out there and still trying to take it all in. I was an armour modeller and heavily into WWI 1:32 scale. I also modelled WWII in 1:76 and 1:35 scale. The choice of kits was fairly limited back then. At the time I worked for a now, long defunct model magazine. The editor there was a rail enthusiast and I spent a long time going down that path. Life and work took over and I spent many years away from the hobby. Now, retired and in my late sixties, I am coming back to the hobby.

Early days at the moment, but I am looking forward to catching up on the theory, while I build my new workshop/model room. I may have to buy some stuff on the way.

I look forward to joining in and I will probably be asking a few questions initially...
Hi and welcome to the forum. Ask as many questions as you like. Great members here with a wealth of experience and knowledge, also very friendly and helpful. Pantherman

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the Herd, Ralph!
Yes, a lot has changed, but a lot is still the same, too. And "new" isn't necessarily better.
Don't worry about a 50-year-old airbrush; I think my Paasche VL is about that old. If it works, that's all that matters.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing your builds!
Best regards,
Brad

Thank you for the warm welcome. It might be a while until I post any pictures of my work. I am building our new workshop and model room at the moment and that will take another couple of months, I expect. It is taking longer because I have realised that timber and sheet-material has got a lot heavier in recent years... Hove you noticed that?

My old airbrushes are still serviceable and have been used in recent years, but only with enamels and ink. The new paints/thinners/retarders are very different and most of my airbrushes are either side or bottom feed with the exception of my Aerograph 63s but they are very limited in capacity and extremely fine. My first job is to get some modern paints and see how I go, but I intend purchase a couple of decent top-feed brush with a larger capacity at some point in the near future.

Sprue cutters are something I have never used, but they seem like a real help, especially the single blade, anvil type. Glue technology has also come on leaps and bounds.

Yes it is still the same hobby, but the biggest change I have noticed is that it is more about the painting than it was forty+ years ago, as there are so many different model manufactures around. These days, there is far less need to 'convert' or modify kits. Another big change is the availability of after-market detailing kits... I am really looking forward to getting back to the bench.

Ralph.

Welcome!!! We look forward to seeing your work, post lots of pictures when you get rolling.

My Paasche VL is also a siphon-feed brush, with the source mounted below the brush. It works fine with all paint media, whether water-based or other types of acrylics, enamels, lacquers. What I found with it was that the cup gets in the way of how I want to hold the brush. You have to dress left or dress right, so to speak. And I'm most comfortable holding the brush like I hold a pen. I got an Iwata Neo as a gift, and it's a gravity-fed brush, with the cup mounted on top. That's out of the way of my grip. But I like them both, both work very well for me.
My VL is a real workhorse, too, and rugged, and simple to maintain.

I'm in much the same situation, getting back to models after around 40ish years. Didn't have a airbrush back in the day so mine are a bit newer. Pretty new here myself and a hearty welcome!

These days, there is far less need to 'convert' or modify kits. Another big change is the availability of after-market detailing kits... I am really looking forward to getting back to the bench.

Ralph.

Howdy! I think you'll find there's still a fair amount of converting and modding to be done. Many times the detail isn't exactly what it's suppose to be or what you would like, especially when you'll be paying 50 times what you did for a model kit all those years ago. It's also the reason you've noticed so many detail kits available... for another 50 bucks.

:rolleyes:

Rob.

Latest posts

Back