Italeri 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt II

Wyroroy/Quaralane - thank you for the complements! I'm really trying to improve upon my skills. I am having a blast and learning a lot!

Glennonrp - In terms of the putty and sanding, I used an old #11 exacto blade to put the putty in. I was careful not to put it on the fan blades. I actually got some on them but saw it quick enough to take it off. In terms of sanding I wrapped different grits around the edge of a paint brush and sanded the areas down. Then I used sanding/polishing sticks to get smooth. It was a long process but the end result was pretty good.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures tonight but I will get some up tomorrow. I got a layer of primer on most of the body today and some of the ordinance, wheels etc. I've got more sanding to do on the main fues (Sanding is my least favorite part of putting these things together!) I'm getting pretty close to getting most of the primer done, then it is a round of pre-shadding etc. I am really enjoying this build.

I'm right there with you. I don't like the sanding, either. Thanks for answering, though. I know it's a necessary evil and I'm not doing it enough.

Glennonrp, us newbe's are taking over SMA!!! Haha, we will both be at "addict" level pretty quickly.

Progress Pics:
I've got most of the seam lines out of the way. Have a little bit more sanding to do. (First using PE, please be gentle. ???)
A-1083.jpg

A-1084.jpg

A-1085.jpg

Main Drop Tank: (I'm proud, the seam line is G.O.N.E, I've never had a seam go away so well)
A-1086.jpg

Engine Panel things. The right side will be closed so I didn't bother sanding the pin marks. The left side is open to show the sick engine.
A-1087.jpg

A-1088.jpg

A-1089.jpg

A-1090.jpg

Engine areas painted flat black (sorry I don't know the right name)
A-1092.jpg

A-1091.jpg

Intake fans painted gun metal:
A-1093.jpg

A-1094.jpg

Engine painted gun metal:
A-1095.jpg

Exhaust Nozel painted gun metal:
A-1096.jpg

Gatling Gun:
A-1097.jpg

My plan is to drybrush the engine and exhaust nozel then seal it in with some flat clear.

thanks for looking!

The sanding job on the intakes is very impressive! I am not sure I would have been able to accomplish that if I tried 3 times! Great work. As for the bang seat - it will look the part after a nice wash.

Looking forward to seeing the drybrushing. And, I don't think we're taking over... Just keeping it warm. :) but, I noticed I'm recreational now. :lol:

Well I got a bit of work done on the hog today.

I drybrushed the rivets with MM Chrome Silver:
A-1098.jpg

A-1099.jpg

I dryfit the engine:
A-10100.jpg

A-10101.jpg

Both the engine (L) and the intake (R) are in place:
A-10103.jpg

A-10104.jpg

Dryfit of the access panel in the approximate final position:
A-10105.jpg

I decided that I am going to tack the panel in place for painting and then I am going to open it up after. The nice thing is the fit is pretty tight so I don't have to worry about white gluing anything in place.
A-10106.jpg

So, I was all excited because I got everything in place and then I realized I needed to mask the intake fans. Luckily I had an extra intake thing, (I only used one from the kit as the detail set had its own resin one.) I used plastic drafting circles to cut perfect circles out of tape. In order to save tamiya masking tape I tested out the fit using card stock. Looking back I would definately masked the fans before glueing them in place. I was able to do it but it took a lot of patience.
A-10107.jpg

A-10108.jpg

A-10109.jpg

A-10110.jpg

I ended the night sanding and scribing the gear compartment.
A-111.jpg

thanks again for looking!

Ohhhh. Those engines are looking sweet. Rivets just pop right out, and that is a very clever masking job. Almost time for some paint eh

I agree, those rivets look nice. I painted the pilot for my own A-10 tonight after I put some Future on the F-18. Should get some decals on it sometime this week, probably beginning Thursday since I need another coat of Future and we have the Pinewood Derby on Wednesday.

I think it will look cool with the engine compartment open like that. I can imagine the ground crew servicing it. :)

So, I sanded and sanded away today and finally got to the point where I could get the final coat of primer on the bird.

Here she is prior to paint:
A-10112.jpg

A-10113.jpg

Here she is after paint. (I only primed the top)
A-10114.jpg

A-10115.jpg

A-10116.jpg

A-10117.jpg

A-10118.jpg

Thanks again for looking!

This kit looks as if it has greater detail then the HB kit. Just look at all those raised rivets! Looks great and super job so far. I'm dig'n this build up.

What did you use to prime it? I noticed you have the landing gear on without the wheels. Do the gear and wells get painted gloss white? Will you mask those off when painting the body color?

Hey glennonrp, I used model masters primer laid down with my AB. I only sprayed the top of the plane. In terms of the landing gear, they are just dry fit in there, just keeping the girl upright while she dries. I actually painted the forward gear bay gloss white and after I prime the bottom I will paint the two gear bays the same. How's your gal coming along?

Slowly. I primed a lot of the parts on the sprues. And, I put together my pilot and painted him. But, otherwise, between the F-18 and the derby car, I've had my hands full. The A-10 will become the priority soon, though. So, I am enjoying watching this build.

Hey all. I decided I am going to let the primer on the top the bird cure for a few days so I had to find some other things to do. So, I did my favorite thing, (NOT) sanding.... I decided to sand and prime the rest of the ordinance that this beast is loaded with. The pics make it look like it wasn't much work, but believe you me, sanding the seam lines away was a pain in the butt. I'm probably going to tackle the wheels and tires tommorow. I haven't decided how to paint the tires. I have a bottle of testors rubber but it looks a little too brown for me. Is my judgement accurate, any suggestions?

Pics:

Before Primer:
A-10119.jpg

A-10120.jpg

After:
A-10122.jpg

A-10121.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

Yea that rubber is a little to brown I agree. I just every so slightly lighten some flat black and use that.

Latest posts

Back