Issue 5..some issues

Talen

Got my issue 5 two days ago, gorgeous magazine, but as I was reading it last night, I had some issues that soured my experience slightly.

First before I start, I understand the difficulties of creating this magazine and that it is not the full time job for any of the staff that create it, and I appreciate all of the hard work they put into its creation.

It really is one issue, and I know the reason behind why, but still made my reading experience less than optimal. The first article and somewhat of the second article were nearly unreadable. Why I prefaced this paragraph with saying I know the reason why, is that both contributors are non-native English speakers, first Italian and the second Spanish. More so in the first article than in the second article, it seemed that there was a straight translation of the article from the contributor's native language to English. The biggest example of this is in the opening paragraph of the Phantom Menace article, I had to read it 3 times, and still was unable to understand what exactly it was trying to say, I inferred that it was talking about why the MIG-21 caused the creation the Top Gun school. It got a little better after that, but not by much, I ended up giving up after only half the article and just looked at the pictures instead. The second article was by far easier to read, but still had issues where I had to re-read sections to understand what he was trying to convey.

I have seen this same issue in previous issues, but no where near as bad. As I stated before, I understand the difficulties of bringing this magazine, but with articles being hard to read or understand, it takes away from the goal of the magazine, which I believe is to teach us new ways to improve on our skills ultimately leading to completion of our own projects. I wish I had a clear and easy suggestion as to a solution to this, the only thing I can think of is a copy editor that can go through articles written by non-native English speakers and edit them for flow and readability. I know that Ken and Scott are probably maxed out time wise and probably don't have the extra resources to pay someone. (Depending on time and volume I could possibly volunteer to help with this.. :) )

Might be a good idea, Talen.
Although I'm not sure where the resources for on might come from

I was mystified at first how Chris Jerrett made that awesome Duster out of the Zvezda 1/48 Me-109F-2 listed on page 1 of the article until I saw the second set of tech specs at the end ;). I get why they left those first couple as they were to capture the writers intents...but I would like to think the authors would be understanding if there were slight rewrites in order to aid in comprehending the article a bit more. Course-- they write English a heckuva lot better than I do Spanish and Italian...

Talen said:
...and I know the reason behind why,

Actually if I may be frank, you clearly don't know the reason why considering that you've over simplified such a convoluted process by addressing 'proof reading' as the answer.

Sorry, but if anyone thinks that I would have left 'stupid Americans' in the opening text of the opening article, (let alone leaving such an unreadable mess) then they obviously don't know the difficulties of the process of creating a magazine and the plethora of areas of production where things can go amiss.

Jeeves said:
I get why they left those first couple as they were to capture the writers intents...

Actually no you don't get it, we left nothing on purpose.

Of course the entire articles text was re-written.

Of course the entire article was then proof read by others.

Somehow, that final edit never made it into the PDF that was sent to the printers.

/end

I have spent a few days trying to track down exactly where things went wrong but I cannot pin it down to one specific instance or action or person along the chain of assembly...and again to be frank, I thought of at least ten possible scenarios where things may have gone awry and not one of them was as simple as someone forgot to proof read.

Yes, Jose's article has a few ugly goofs as well, descent instead of decent hit me in the face like a fart in church as soon as I turned the page, but that article's mistake factor is not even comparable to the first.

At the end of the day, you only have one more issue of the magazine to deal with these things possibly souring your experience.

Sorry Ken--

I had only typed that as per a conversation we had had way back after issue 1 where you had said that you left the lingo from one of the authors in there as the regional dialect--can't find the conversation now. I would've never thought it was something such as you stated...very sorry. That really stinks-- still enjoyed the issue-- my dad also served 2 tours in construction in 'Nam as a Seabee-- the selection of models serves as a very fitting tribute to those we've lost and those we are very fortunate to have among us still.

Ken, your reaction is why I hesitated even posting this. I tried really hard to put thought and understanding into what I said and even so far as to praise the staff. I meant no malice in my words, I simply saw an issue that could negatively impact a magazine I do like. I will take the lump in making a bad assumption concerning editing and take responsibility for that.

You're right , I have 1 issue left, and if this is the way you treat your readership it will be the last magazine I will purchase while you are editor.

So as of right now, I will do what you have all but told me to do in your response and shut my damn mouth, where it concerns this magazine.

I've read it three times as well and can't really make head or tails of it. I have been going back in my mind trying to remember what happened. I know Ken and I talked about rewriting it; I know Ken rewrote it; I can only assume that either a: I didn't copy the new text into inDesign or b: copied it and failed to save.

Either way I'm 100% certain that gibberish is a result of my error. I apologize for the lack of professionalism.

Scott Girvan said:
Either way I'm 100% certain that gibberish is a result of my error.

I'm not

...but considering our printed emails in the magazine, your phone number and Spot the Goof (which was designed specifically for this), this isn't the place to discuss it.

Somehow ill-informed and speculative assumptions is all in good faith but if I reply with factual statements to set the record straight, then I'm being malicious.

Brilliant.

If this is going to cause this much issue, just kill the thread. I now know better.

Good morning :)

:) "Talens", I´m not able to see any issue being you (IMHO) a polite, well mannered, and empathetic user. You were even offering your help with future translations. And if I´m not wrong, apart from being a user of the site, you are a costumer who spends $ here, right?

:) "Test", I can´t see (IMHO) any malice in your answers.

Business / marketing relations / costumer handling self-analysis / response modulation/ alternative products / internet.

Have a good day you all :)

Thank God I have only one more issue of this so called magazine to put up with.
After waiting so long for it to arrive and then find it was essentially dedicated to
machines designed to kill meant that it took about 3 minutes to glance through it
to find something of interest to me.
In fact, I am so disgusted with SMA that, just don't bother sending issue 6 my way.
Issue 5 went into tha garbage bin earlier today.
Goodbye.

exLisburnman said:
After waiting so long for it to arrive and then find it was essentially dedicated to
machines designed to kill meant that it took about 3 minutes to glance through it
In fact, I am so disgusted with SMA that, just don't bother sending issue 6 my way.
Goodbye.

I have all 5 issues so far, and can't find one that doesn't have these so called "killing machines" in them. Sure there are articles for civilian vehicles, but for the most part it is military builds with the odd sci fi thrown in (which are just futuristic killing machines I guess, so same, same).

Fact that it is a Vietnam War issue would be pretty much obvious that it would be filled with military hardware and not civilian vehicles, or My Little Pony builds. But that's just me.

Loved the issue, as I have loved all of the issues so far, and look forward to Issue #6. Sure it would be nice if their release was more consistent, but it's hard to rush perfection, so I don't mind waiting for it from both a reader standpoint as well as an advertiser's stand point.

Quality product all around, despite some of the language issues.

exLisburnman said:
Goodbye.

Obvious Troll, but i was very satisfied with the magazine. My grandfather,who flew a f4 phantom, was very interested with the f4 build. He spent alot of time looking at the build steps and the markings

Just wondering, I ordered this issue 3 weeks ago through the website using PayPal...when might I expect it in the mailbox? This isn't to gripe about it but I had also ordered some photo-etch from a company in Ireland a few days after and got it a week later?! Is this coming from Canada? If so, is customs that much of a pain in the butt???? I'm trippin coz I dig the magazine big time...can't wait for it!!!! :'( :eek:

Hi,
You should have it soon. We got backed up with tons of orders but ken has gotten things sorted out.

Hey Scott...just got the mag today....woohoo! Thanks man, sorry I was being a worry-wort...awesome stuff!!!! Funny, was watching "The Last King of Scotland" with Forest Whittiker and what do I see on the cover...a 1/35th scale Forest!!!!! That figure is a dead ringer for him! Even my wife spotted that right away!!!!! From Bravo 6, right???

Latest posts

Back