ISD "Avenger" [finished]

Re: ISD "Avenger" [WIP]

Nice work on this, so do you like the upgrade kit? I have been thinking about picking it up. The star destroyer is one of the models on my dream list. To light her up properly.

Thanks everyone! Means a lot.

merseajohn said:
Can't wait to see the video at the end of this project, slow pan across the bottom, engines blazing ;)
Awesome.

You bet it, John. First thingI do after finishing her - lots of filming ;)

Grendels said:
Nice work on this, so do you like the upgrade kit? I have been thinking about picking it up. The star destroyer is one of the models on my dream list. To light her up properly.

I think this kit is worth it's every penny. Especially the sidewalls - this build would have last for a year if I hadn't have them.
It is very sharp in the means of casting and with an awesome detalisation.
The only 3 problematic things I can say about it is:
1- some flesh in the inside areas (I had a problematique area in the one of side hanger bays, but that was alright due to the third additional one that comes with the kit; same problem inside one of the main engines and same solution: I had 4 in my kit; finally some melted casting inside the trash hatch on the back of the bridge neck - this was almost got reed off with a knife and is going to be hidden under some greebles)
2-Hardships with lighting the solid bridge - I'm going to tell about it in my next update
3-No living area superstructure, only the side walls.. But hey, You can't have it all, right?

So my verdict is: if You are going to build this kit and have some spare money for the upgrade set - go for it, it would help You a LOT.

Thank you for the review. They have a few nice kits on their site, an I have been thinking about getting one or two.

Grendels said:
Thank you for the review. They have a few nice kits on their site, an I have been thinking about getting one or two.

You are welcome :) I myself consider getting the Arvey Products Nebulon-B and Super Star Destroyer - they seem two very fine models.

Now on this Avenger

I've complete detailing the top part of the hull for now, ending detalisation on the "wing"-area around main turbolasers.

The engine piece was glued in place

The additional side-trenches from accurising kit were enough to use them for some areas of the upper structure

Then came the problems of lighting the bridge.
I've drilled two holes in order to give some light to the trash hatch on the bridge neck

Then made a big hole for a number of fibers that went through the neck piece and the upper structure as well

Same hole was drilled in the bridge detail, that I've made hollow with the help of a Dremell

So, now everything is ready for lighting

At last I've decided to make this model detachable, so I can for ex. paint it as a whole, then unassemble in 3 distinguished pieces and easily add fiber optics, or make some maintenance if I get a burnt out LED.
So I took these neodymium magnets...

and installed them into the two hull halves with the help of CA and Revell Contacta glues, epoxy and two component putty (I want the mounting points to be really strong)

This is my first try in making a model, that holds together on magnets, and I must say that the result has really pleased me a lot

Thanks for the interest, guys, some more to come soon ;)

Really nice use of those magnets. It looks great when put together.

It's gonna look great when it's done AND it'll be fully maintainable. As if the Empire would settle for anything less. ;)

I really like your magnet idea. Looking forward to the updates.

Amazing work with the detail. And a VERY good idea with the magnets

Thank you, guys! Much appreciated.

Took some more time on this babe today, so made some progress.

First of all I've made the appropriate armed structure on the nose

Besides that, to strengthen the magnetical mounting of the hull parts even more I've installed two screws into the bottom half, put them through the top one and held in place with screw-nuts.

The upper structure now holds in place with magnets too

And at last I've worked with the bridge, and now it is possible to turn from a simple panel on it's back to a hiding in-scale Millennium Falcon, like in "Empire", wherever you'd like! :)

What I'm planing to take on next would be drilling holes for future lighting.
I'll try to bring it to another update on Tuesday, well, at least I hope I will. Unfortunately, I will have to leave on Wednesday for a week - decided with friends to spend the last week of summer camping on the banks of Volga-river and sometimes returning back to civilisation to see some local places of interest. So.. probably no internet for a week to. Due to this fact, by the 31-st of august I'm gonna have Christmas allredy with the present of BSC results video => now spoilers in written form, I beg you ;D
And, if it happens so no news for updating would be ready for the next two days, let me use the ocasion and wish you a great time watching those resulsts videos we are all so waiting for. I'm sure you know youselves,but this is going to be a BOMB, guys! :)
Cheers!

That structure looks a LOT better that the old stock kit bits

Wicked. This is gonna be soo cool. I was never a huge fan of the ship....just because it's so monochromatic in color, but man with all this detail I'm changing my mind about it.

Great work.

Thank you for the compliments guys :)

Scott Girvan said:
Wicked. This is gonna be soo cool. I was never a huge fan of the ship....just because it's so monochromatic in color, but man with all this detail I'm changing my mind about it.

Great work.

I was thinking about the paintjob this model is going to require. Don't want it to be too monochromatic as well. Of coarse I'm going to keep as close to the look of the studio model as it is possible, so the overall shade is light - gray, almost white. But the studio model also had lots of aztec panels with blue, sandy and green shades, almost absolutely invisible. With dimensions of 10*10 mm. In my scale hat would mean SUPER TINY.. Already awaiting TONS of masking with several seconds of airbrushing after that ;D

Latest posts

Back