ISD "Avenger" [finished]

Solander

Hi, guys!
It's been really a while.
What I've been doing was moving really far away from the noisy city for 10 days, to swim and fish in a lake, make meat on fire, sleep for 10 hours, breath fresh air and... right! to MODEL! :)
This time I turned to a subject, that has been calling for me for about three years. The mighty Imperial Star Destroyer "Avenger" - the flagship of the Empire in the years of the 4th episode and Darth Vader's personal destroyer before he moved to the complete SSD "Executor".
This is a fairy old AMT kit first released in November 1989 (guess they've tried for the fact of my birth, LoL). I'm sure that you've heard about it far not once, and know, that along with being the only ISD kit ever produced commercially, it is incredibly inaccurate. Guess it's possible to say, that the only thing they've engineered correctly was the overall wedge-like shape of the ship. Everything else is a catastrophe - the proportions are wrong, the paneling is wrong, the detailing is allmost nothing (the details are "painted" on the hull with tiny raised lines). Add to all these giand gaps, and you'd understand why I was waiting to turn to this project for so long.
What I really want is to make this indeed iconic ship of science-fiction a real candy, matching the original 1977 studio model as close as it is possible, add lighting of course, and, what is of the most importance - to have lot of FUN with this.
To help myself with the fun part and make it a little bit easier, I've bought a resign conversion set be Commander Models (also known once for Arvey Model Products). This is an excellent set, 500% worth its money. It includes all the side tranches, the bridge with it's neck, the main hanger bay, main turbolaser batteries and main engines. Tiny parts like turbolasers, engines and side hanger bays have an additional exemplar, just in case you lose one. The set also includes an inscale Blockade Runner and Mil. Falcon. I didn't know that, so have also bought a set of two separate blockade runners - can now start gathering a Rebel fleet :) All the parts had absolutely no bubbling and little but now flash - an excellent example of top level casting. All in all this set (being the only such complete kit of everything you need to build an AMT ISD now) is highly recommended to everyone planning to build "Avenger" (CM also make a "Devastator" set - they differ in bridges and turbolasers)
Ok, now after I've depicted the situation on my beginning of work, here is what I've done so far.

Overall view:

First, i took lots of different sandpaper and sanded down all the raised lines all over the hull

Here how it looked in the beginning

The main turbolaser's area has been glued in place over the cut off one that came with the kit

Glued together the near-the-bridge area, having sctratchbuilt the side-pylons from 1mm styrene sheet (the one from the kit featured a too thick "superstructure shelves")

Here are the corrected side tranches with all their superstructure in place

Both parts of the main hull where virtually broadened with the styrene strips, that covered the "steps" that where initially on this kit. With them together they've made a great additional area for side trenches detailing.

The ion-flow controlling brakers of the kit were cut away and changed to the new, screen accurate, I've also made from styrene strips. (yeah, Evergreen stuff is quite required to work on this ship)

Turning to the lower part of the hull, I've made the strange-shaped panels, missing on the kit, that are covering now the holes for the kit's stand.

The third hole was also covered same way. You can see that I've left the paneling on the main reactor's dome - there it looks ok.

What I'm working on now is the detailing around the main hanger, so it's not yet complete. I've also already cut the holes for lighting the hangar inside.

The engine area was so badly engineered, that it didn't fit at all not with the kit's side parts, nor with the ones from the correction set. So I had to cut it's sides off in order to scratchbild them again later.

At last, here are some more pics of what you get from CM:

With the tiny inscale ships

In order to light the bridge in future I've cut it in two parts

Well, that's what I have for now. Hope you like it - let me know what do you think about all this, guys ;)
Later!

Re: ISD "Avenger" [WIP]

Loving the blockade runners!

So much work you've put into it already. I'm sure you're gonna nail this, Sol, but good god, it looks tough to me.

Thanks, fellas!) Hope the upcoming progress would not take you wait for long.

actually the blockade runner was the ship being shot at by this star destroyer in the very first scene in a new hope.

You're correct, PpigP. I know it as a Corellian Corvette from playing x-wing vs tie fighter and other Star Wars games.

yep! true...it was actually supposed to be the Millenium Falcon first with a different front .

I didn't know that! It seems you know as much about Star Wars, as I know about Star Trek! ;D

i do! obsessed since i saw it in 1977 at the Ziegfeld Theatre in NYC

You're so lucky to have seen them in the theatre (I was only about 2 when Jedi came out). All I got was the stupid 'Special Editions' with the fake CGI Jabba. Like Jabba would let Han stand on his tail and let him live. ::)

ha ha im old. but it was the greatest cuz no one has ever seen anything soo crazy like that back then. the x wing trench run got us sooooo excited!

You're only as old as you feel. Numbers are meaningless when it comes down to it. I have to tell myself that, having just turned 30!

You know, Star Trek only got a motion picture franchise because of the success of Star Wars. They thought they could ride the space sci-fi band wagon with 1979's ST : The Motion Picture. Man, did they miss the mark with that.

I'm actually one of the few who liked that films slow pace. Though it wasn't a thoughtful, slow pace, it had a certain style about it that I liked. It also had a beatiful musical score that came off a bit cheesy when played in context, but stands up very well on its own. Just listen to 'Ilia's theme' and tell me that's not an amazing composition.

Actually, just did a youtube search and found this quite remarkable rendition :- Ilia's theme. Star trek OST. Jerry Goldsmith (Piano version)

EDIT: Sorry if that's a bit off topic there, but at least you can all read the rest of the comments with some nice music. ;D

Here is the earliest concept of the Mil. Falcon by the way. You can see, that it is actually a smaller body
of a corellian corvette with the final Falcon's cockpit.
Ah, and by the way, the surroundings is the hangar of an orbital prison at Hath Abbadon, the conceptual head-planet of the Empire. No Death Star at all back there either.

Great work there Solander!! Ill be watching your progress with much interest!
4333339257_6a2ca82042_o.jpg

Interesting stuff. I certainly can't imagine that ship making it through the asteroid field, or flying inside the 2nd Death star.

Nice work so far Solander!!! I will be following this one as you progress.

Igard said:
You're only as old as you feel. Numbers are meaningless when it comes down to it. I have to tell myself that, having just turned 30!

You know, Star Trek only got a motion picture franchise because of the success of Star Wars. They thought they could ride the space sci-fi band wagon with 1979's ST : The Motion Picture. Man, did they miss the mark with that.

I'm actually one of the few who liked that films slow pace. Though it wasn't a thoughtful, slow pace, it had a certain style about it that I liked. It also had a beatiful musical score that came off a bit cheesy when played in context, but stands up very well on its own. Just listen to 'Ilia's theme' and tell me that's not an amazing composition.

Actually, just did a youtube search and found this quite remarkable rendition :- Ilia's theme. Star trek OST. Jerry Goldsmith (Piano version)

You are so right with your comment on this music! I just posted a comment on youtube for it.
Also, I am one of the people who I know that liked "Star Trek the Motion picture. Unlike Star Wars, and ALL subsequent "Trek" Flicks it was a real sci-fi movie. It wasn't some sort of schlocky Sci-fi/horror thing.
Don't get me wrong, I like all the Trek films, and all for different reasons. Wrath of Khan is my fave., and I really liked the J.J. Abrams a.k.a. Mr. Lens Flare version. :)

Latest posts

Back