Interest in MFGB - Banners on page one

Will you participate in a MF Group Build?

• Yes!

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • No.

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Re: Interest in Millennium Falcon Group Build

Sorry, but I think I’ll pass on this one.

I have no real interest in the Falcon as a design or as a vehicle. And considering the difficulties involved in getting hold of one...

Question about the amt/ertl MF kits. Are they all the same scale? I cant seem to find what scale they are in. Is the cutaway the same scale as the regular one?

Yes, they are all the same scale including the cutaway. Works out to 1/66 if you take the FineMolds 1/72 as actually being 1/72.

It would give me a chance to finish my "luxury liner" version. 3 rooms, 1 dining hall and a central arboretum that has the gravity oriented to the curve of the cylinder so the upper and lower windows (gun ports) are at the ends of the room. The VIP room with hot tub is in between the mandibles under the clamps. All siidewall to be replaced with a ribbed plastic for a clean look. The antenna is cut into a pentagram and will have a blue star on it, for the Blue Star Line (not red, they hit icebergs and sink).
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v732/nnyamer/Star%20Wars/Blue%20Star/

Scott Girvan said:
I'd go with the MPC. Yes it has flaws but you can correct em with some styrene and imagination.

Even with that it builds up into a nice kit and won't break the bank.

Not sure about that Scott !!! LOL with all the after market stuff I got for mine... .its over 300$ from 24$ to 300 that took some work... but I got it there and its sitting Idle !!! LOL silly me !

Still debating on which one to Work on... the FM or AMT ???

As long as we keep it FUN !!! then we might be on something big !!!

Later !

...but "styrene and imagination" is far cheaper that aftermarket products norm. ;)

When you look at the sidewalls to the MF, it's pretty simple to scratch build something similar. It's just a bunch of greeblies on some flat stock, even on the 1/72 FineMolds one I have here I can see cylinder heads, transmissions, engine blocks... really straight forward stuff.

I have been debating the aftermarket route on the side walls. First, I can't find any readily available. Second, scratch building this might be fun! Just a matter of finding greeblies to do it with.

Where in the world can you get the blue moon AM stuff other than starship modeler? Cant find it anywhere

That's the only place as far as I know Mr. Natural.

- Norm I meant that without spending the $ on aftermarket one can still scratchbuild the sidewalls fairly easily. It would take parts from 1/72 tanks, car models etc... but I'm sure just about anyone could reproduce the feel of the 'guts ont he outside' without spending all that money on aftermarket.

MrNatural said:
Where in the world can you get the blue moon AM stuff other than starship modeler? Cant find it anywhere

I have been looking all over the web and can't find anything other than the blue moon kit and falcon kits. So it might be the scratch building route for me!

AFAIK those are the only two available (when and if they are available)

I'm sure you'll rock a scratch build on this.

Yeah Grendels, I will definitly be scratchbuilding any mods to this kit. This will be a great opportunity to pick other peoples brains and share techniques. I'm wondering if the kit supplied sidewalls couldn't just be cut down to a more suitable hieght?

fumblethumbs said:
Yeah Grendels, I will definitly be scratchbuilding any mods to this kit. This will be a great opportunity to pick other peoples brains and share techniques. I'm wondering if the kit supplied sidewalls couldn't just be cut down to a more suitable hieght?

Been done before with great success ! It made a big difference on the one I have seen!

And don't see me as a (AM) monster, guys! I just happen to buy all those AM kits while they were available! And while I was BD in scratch building on the AMT MF.....myself...

Looking forward to see what you guys come up with !

DSC02396_resize.jpg

Well i secured my MF! Im going with the AMT cutaway. More than likely I will pick up some PE for this. As far as the side walls go, im gonna scratch them, I feel its a right of passage in some way. I dont want to pay 50 bucks for some resin thats not even 100% accurate ::) I'm truly excited for this build, I get to put my scratching skills to the test and its my first Star Wars build. I think the cutaway will be cool. I'm certain I wont finish it by Feb. I like the idea of doing the interior as well. Will be a challenge for sure. But thats what us modelers thrive off of right? ;)

Just remember that the interior of the cutaway was designed to go with the sidewalls.
So, if you're using the interior, you may want to be careful

Q-Thank you for the heads up! I did some research cause i was concerned about this and it can be done with some finesse

I just picked up a bunch of 1/72 tank kits for greeblies off of Evilbay. I don't think I will be going for accuracy, just what looks good. I think I will also cut up the old sidewalls for more greeblie fun.

Sounds good Grendels, I'm almost thinking I might buy another mpc falcon aswell! (mumbles to myself 'no no must stop buying star wars models...')

Latest posts

Back