How to motorize & w/ what.

That was cool. And in 1/72 no less. I'm impressed. I'm wondering how they got power to the rear. ???

I know, I know! Both the blades are in sink like the real thing. Gotta be some kind of a right angle flex-shaft or something. I wanna know!

O.k., o.k. I found some 1.5-3V motors for model kits. I think this deserves a discussion. What, how, where, etc. I know you Sci-Fi guys gotta know something other than LEDS. ;D
Anyone!? Pleeeeease! ;)

I would go down to your local RC store that specializes in Helicopters and have a talk with them. I have two RC heli's that I don't fly too much. One of them has a separate motor for the rear rotor, and the other uses a flexible belt. I have also heard of shaft driven rear rotors.

I bet they can help you come up with a solution.

Maybe gut one of those indoor IR helicopters you can find from a mall kiosk? I've got 2 and spare parts are available for them (such as the small motors, battery packs, etc.)

Wow! I never thought of the small rc helicopter parts. Having looked into that, I found even smaller morors. That was very helpful. What I have found is that the rear tail motor is too bir and too noticeable for the models. I'm curious as to what the gentleman from Japan used for the tail rotor.

By the way Grendals. Model Man Tom turned me to your LED videos. Very helpful and informative!

Thanks for the help!
John

Thanks! I am doing an update on the electronics sometime in the next few days.

Tom told me that he sent you my way. Glad I could help!

I managed to get a Youtube account started (LifeFlightModels) and the gentleman from Japan was very kind to help me on how to motorize my 1/48 and 1/32 helicopters. Nothing like I had thought.
Oh yah! I forgot. I also got a nice pack of LEDs and goodies from our Modelman Tom. What a good guy! I'm gearing up, slowly but surely; I'm gearing up!
Now to learn the Youtube thing. Learning curve big time!
Later gang

He did tell me what I needed the best he could. Lots of translating involved. Mega-Hobby has exactly what I need or anyone else for that matter.
http://www.megahobby.com/motors.aspx

I can't wait! I have so many ideas and kit plans going through my head. I think it's all stems from suffering from withdrawl.

I found a bunch of other stuff there that I couldn't find anywhere else. Llike various scale model rubber tires with rims and 1/64th, 1/32nd and 1/16th wide masking tape. Yes, masking tape!!! That deserves a Bill & Teds shout........"Excellant!!!" They are on my top list of internet hobby shops. Nice group of guys and very helpful. They're always interested in what your doing.

When I start my motor project, I think I will try...."try".... and put a video tutorial together. ::) :-\

Cheers

I'm glad I stopped in this thread! That YT link was excellent! Thanks for the good words, AirMed!
Searching yt channels can be extraordinarily difficult. I get no hits on LifeFlightModels..What's your link and I'll sub!

Latest posts

Back