How to make molds and casts

Biskup

Ok here's the way that I know and which I use to make molds.

1. Using cardboard or plastic or old packs for salads, ice cream etc. We are making box to contain the element that we want to make mold of
formowanie01.jpg

2. We build up the box using any method you want only important thing is that it needs to be tight.
formowanie02.jpg

3. Next we glue in the element we want to copy. If the shape of the element is complicated you can bras on to it some kind of motor oil or lubricant (it needs to be really thin best are those in spray) in this stage you need to be careful not to over do it so you won't lose the details.
formowanie03.jpg
formowanie04.jpg

4. This is my pressure and vacuum chamber which I'm using to make molds and casts.
formowanie05.jpg

5. This is the compressor I'm using to power up the chamber.
formowanie06.jpg

6. Next stage is to mix up silicone that I use to make molds. I'm using Mold Max 30 it's a silicone type material which I hardens but after that is very elastic which makes him very good to use for molding.
formowanie07.jpg

7. After mixing silicon with the hardener I put it in to chamber.
formowanie08.jpg

8. Now I making vacuum which is pulling out of the silicone all air which got in to during mixing stage. I'm leaving it under vacuum for about 10 minutes.
formowanie09.jpg

9. Here is silicone after vacuum.
formowanie10.jpg

10. Now we are purring it in to the box with element trying to make the stream as thin as possible and trying to pure in to the lowest part of the box. Because I was making picture my stream was thick.
formowanie11.jpg

11. Here is the box already filed with silicone.
formowanie12.jpg

12. Now we are puting the box in to the chamber... AGAIN...
formowanie13.jpg

13. And we are making vacuum once again allowing all the air that got in to the box during purring to get out. Again we are leaving it under vacuum for 10 minutes.
formowanie14.jpg

14. After vacuuming we take the box out because the silicone needs air to harden. Now we have to wait for about one day so the silicone will harden.
formowanie15.jpg

15. After silicone hardens we cut the box.
formowanie16.jpg

16. Now we take the box of and we are left with silicone and out original sculpt.
formowanie17.jpg

17. Next stage is to take out the sculpt and we are ready to make copies.
formowanie18.jpg

18. We prepare the same amount of resin. I'm using Smooth Cast. I also add couple of drops of gray matt paint so the cast won't be so shiny and will look better. Of course if you mix it properly :)
formowanie19.jpg

19. We mix the resin.
formowanie20.jpg

20. Resin is finally mix and we are ready to pure it in to a mould.
formowanie21.jpg

21. Now we pure the resin in to the mould carefully making sure it will be filled in entirely.
formowanie22.jpg
formowanie23.jpg

22. After we fill the mould with the resin we put in to pressure chamber.
formowanie24.jpg

23. We need to make sure to sill the chamber properly so that there won't be any leaks.
formowanie25.jpg

24. Now we apply pressure. I normally apply about 4 atmospheres and we leave the mould to harden (under pressure).
formowanie26.jpg

25. After time needed for the resin to harden we can open the chamber and take out the mould.
formowanie27.jpg

26. Now we take out the cast from the mould.
formowanie28.jpg

27. Finished now we have mould, original sculpt and a cast and we can make as many cast as we wonî–¹ :)
formowanie29.jpg
The black spots on the cast are because the paint was a bit old, but it doesn't change the cast in any way.

THE END

Hope it was a bit helpfully.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Cheers
Lukasz
P.S. If I posted in wrong section please move it to more suitable place.

Cool tutorial. I do some casting myself.

For those that don't have a vacuum chamber, as they can be pricey, especially if you are just doing a little bit of casting, a running dryer can be used to get the bubbles out of your RTV and Resin. The heat from the dryer will also help cure them a little faster. The vibration of the dryer will shake most of the bubbles out of the RTV or Resin mixture.

Works well if you better half is doing laundry, this way she doesn't yell at you for running the dryer for no reason! LOL

Lightly tapping the side of the mold can also work, if it's a smallish part.

I don't do a lor of casting, but I've picked up a couple of tricks along the way.
Could never really justify a pressure pot

I started with foamcore and cardboard mold walls, Legos are SOOOOooooo much better for walling up the mold, but may require some no sulfur modeling clay around the bottom to prevent leaks. When making two part molds we have been putting airsoft BBs in between the mold halves to make index "nubs" this works well, Great tutorial over all, I cast quite a bit and even learned something.

Latest posts

Back