How many kits do you have on the go and how do you keep focused?

I got 2 entries for the BSC

The Challenger 2 and the speeder

Finished the Tiger 1 (Academy) for the Inscale a week before
2 more Tiger in line (DML and Tamiya)
Burke Ship (Local Seal GB) just need to add more details and weathering.

as friends always said take your time do in-between builds, when your frustration goes up, get off the bench... take some fresh air... grab a beer or anything you like to do aside from modelling... don't think about modelling for a while. and try to minimize your pending builds to make you more focus on your priority builds. :D

:) Well, apart from the fact that I have evident strong "modelling time" limitations, (to be taken in consideration)... :p

... I just have one (1) kit on the go (M4A2), and two 1:35th figures almost finished (that I will finish, of course -the 1945 German Radio Team) ...

... but putting aside the modelling time issue, this is my way to keep focused... and my way to assure that the things that I begin will be 100% finished. This combined with the motto " If the model is not finished, a new kit box won´t be open . "

RG

PS: I also keep the stash to minimums deliberately (now I have two kits as stash)... :)

Ya know, just cause we have 30-40 in the que, doesn't mean they don't get finished. I average about a kit a week finished. So, how many of you 'motivator' types keep that average? Uh-huh. Thought so. ;) ;D

I'm in the same boat as Elm and Gundam with most of my stash in progress, but Uni prevents me from doing much and it's hard to go back to a kit after Uni. I'm also still messing around with paints to find the one I like. In addition I don't really even have anywhere to put a model once I finish it. The few I have finished went to friends.

Gundamhead said:
Ya know, just cause we have 30-40 in the que, doesn't mean they don't get finished. I average about a kit a week finished. So, how many of you 'motivator' types keep that average? Uh-huh. Thought so. ;) ;D

;D I didn´t meant that... but you will agree that it is very much "easier" to get "lost" with a so wide "Front" simoultaneously, at least for the average guy (well that´s what I think...)...

... a kit-a week completely finished ... is sci-fi to me... ;D maybe with a time machine... ;D

... my "motivator" types... "averages"... ::) well, let´s say in another way, maybe it will be better understood: in my life-with its characterization parameters, should I don´t follow my focusing method, I wouldn´t be able to finish just one ... ;D

I have 7 WIP, two of which are the SMA BSC. I usually have three builds going at once, one is the start phase, one almost complete built, and one that is in the spray booth or weathering stage. When an assembly is drying then I am painting. When the paint is drying, I am building. I try not to get to many projects going at once however there are so many kits I like to build sometimes I have to many going at once. It is hard to choose my next project. Sometimes I see someone else building a model I have in my stash and get my juices flowing to build mine. Bottom line, no matter what phase I am in I am always having fun. My only frustration would be finding more time to work on my builds.

Gundamhead said:

Dude, why does it seem like you're getting defensive?

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but I don't personally think any of the 'motivator types' were addressing your comments specifically, they were merely answering the original posters question and sharing how they do things. You can have as many models in your queue as you like, it is of no consequence to me but you certainly don't have to turn this into a pissing match.

Do you post these 'one per week' finished builds here on the forum? If so, I really need to pay better attention.

Happy modeling

I try and only have one build going on at the bench. I've about 20 to 30 kits in the stash and I've had to really stop myself lately from buying more kits (Need to save money BIG time at the moment ::)) I know what it's like to loose mojo during the build process, I've got this blockade runner going on at the moment for the BSC but all I find myself looking at is Tiger tanks. Like Ken I dont get too excited with the build process (allthough when it's going right it can be very therapeutic, and I can loose hours sometimes just listening to music while scraping plastic and sniffing glue lol) its the painting and weathering that I love.
Oh by the way Ken I'm glad the falcon got a mention, I'm very excited to see what happens with that ;)

I have 46 models in my stash right now. This includes 7 almost completely scratchbuild projects, so there are currently 39 models laying around.
But only one is on the workbench at the time, same as with Ken and merseajohn.
When I've been a beginning modeler, and started to gather my stash so that I could choose between several kits at a time, I've found out pretty fast, that if I get distracted by some model, the otherone I had been working on previously never gets finished.
I still have 3 models from that times:
-Klingon Bird of Prey
-Naboo n-1 starfighter by AMT
-and also AMT's vulture droids set.
I haven't touched each one of them for at least about 3 or 4 years already!
When I've figured out, that pretty soon I was going to end up with a hundred of kits I'll probably never finish, I invented a rule for me - no new models started untill the one on the bench gets finished.
To avoid a situation when I complete the model anyhow, only just to complete it and jump onto something else, no matter how bad it turns out, I found for me a very cool solution, other then just going away from the bench for a while and doing something else (which I certainly also do!)
I'm writing a some kind of a modeling-diary.
There I keep a to-do list, with all the models I currently have in the stash (pretty cool just reading through it and imagining, which box I'm going to pick up next)
and there I also wright all the ideas I receive in mind about future projects - what would look cool, how can I realise this or that here and there, what stuff should I look for for this or that dio etc.
For me it is like building another model, other the one which is my current project, but in mind. And I'm building tons of them I must say :)
Plus I always know what I want to achieve in the end by the very starting of a new project.
And yes, I know, I'm crazy, and thinking about small vehicles from plastic all the time.......
But hey! This is Scale Model ADDICT forum, right? ;D ;D

Ken Abrams said:
Gundamhead said:

Dude, why does it seem like you're getting defensive?

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but I don't personally think any of the 'motivator types' were addressing your comments specifically, they were merely answering the original posters question and sharing how they do things. You can have as many models in your queue as you like, it is of no consequence to me but you certainly don't have to turn this into a pissing match.

Do you post these 'one per week' finished builds here on the forum? If so, I really need to pay better attention.

Happy modeling

Down boy. It was in jest. If you reread, it was in response to 'getting my ass kicked' for having too many in the pipeline. Joking on all sides. If you wish to piss, please, please, use the restroom.

If it's yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down.......

Was that appropriate? ???

Anyways, I've really enjoyed reading everybody's posts, I know its helped me think about how I'm going to "attack" my stash from now on.

Happy Weekend Building!

MNy Stryker M1129 came intoday and i had to put it away dam quick or it was getting started...

spud said:
MNy Stryker M1129 came intoday and i had to put it away dam quick or it was getting started...

;D ;D

Mate, you better put it on the locker and give the key to your girl, with strict orders of not givin´ back to you the key until at least July !!! ;D

Eastrock said:
Hey RG lets see how many shelves Spud making soon!!! ;D

;D Nah EastR ! He´s not in good shape lately... he´s becoming soft....

I bet no more than six ;D

I'm late to the party on this one, but my building queue is probably typical...

Currently in focus:

Wave MaschinenKrieger Raptor armored suit in 1/20 (my entry in the Sci-Fi Fellowship Build at Agape Modeling)

In and out of focus:

Hobby Boss USS Arizona in 1/700, converting to the USS Pennsylvania circa 1935. I have a thread for this one, in the Ships subforum, but I work on it in fits and starts

Monogram Tom Daniel's Red Baron hot rod in 1/24 - 80% assembled

Hasegawa USS Essex in 1/700. I'm adding a hangar deck and correcting some inaccuracies in the kit, building it as the Essex on her first tour of duty, summer 1943

On the back burner:

2 Monogram P-36's in 1/72. They are assembled and a natural metal finish is started. These got stopped 3 years ago, I was working diligently on them, then, on the Saturday before Christmas, my hot water heater burst. There was no real damage, but it interrupted the build and I haven't resumed it yet.

A Monogram P-47D bubbletop in 1/48. Fuselage is assembled, with seams cleaned up. I was going to do a foil job, but now I think I will just use paint for a NMF

An Airfix Mosquito in 1/72. Night camo is applied, I need to gloss-coat it and decal. But it really is a horrible little kit, and I lost interest, after a really good start.

Then I have what's left over from the list of kits I had started in the early Aughts, and resolved in 2009 to finish that year:

An Aurora F4B-4 in 1/48
A Lindberg F11C-1 in 1/48
A LifeLike Hawker Hart in 1/48
A Monogram TBD in 1/48
2 Monogram P-40B's in 1/48

The Essex was also one of those resolution builds, too.

And of course, I have anywhere from 50 to 100 toy soldiers in various stages of completion.

How do I keep focused? Heh heh, I don't really. I work on what interests me at the moment, following only broad goals, like trying to get something off the bench to free up space, or joining a group build, whether online or in our club. But, it's a hobby, so I don't worry too much about focused building unless absolutely necessary.

I'm also running headlong into a wall, as far as display space goes. I don't have anywhere yet to display even a tenth of what I have on the bench and in my stash. So at some point, I'll have to stop building and focus on some remodeling projects around the house. See? Even my house is like a scale model build.

lol jelly that wont happen ;D but i do plan on finishing my sma bsc entrys :) before a new one gets started

Jelly said:
Eastrock said:
Hey RG lets see how many shelves Spud making soon!!! ;D

;D Nah EastR ! He´s not in good shape lately... he´s becoming soft....

I bet no more than six ;D

Jelly I bet its more than seis... especially interesado new kits are already out in the market ;D

Latest posts

Back