How many kits do you have on the go and how do you keep focused?

Carsenault

I am really beginning to lose steam, got so many projects on the go right now, some with deadlines, others dont. Wondering if Im spreading myself too thin. So, How many kits do you have on the go right npow, and how do you keep yourselves focused? Im haveing a hard time doing that myself right now... I think I have modelers ADD.

Kits on the front burner...

1/48 Revell Mosquito B. XX. for BSC '12 and CAMS Special challenge.
1/48 Hasegawa CF-18 for group build at ARC.
1/48 Hasegawa F-16I Sufa

back burner builds...

1/24 Fujimi Ferrari Challenge F430 Competitione
1/144 Revell CC-177 Globemaster

Kis that will probably never get finished...

1/48 Revell/HAsegawa Ar234 B/2N
1/24 Revell Reynard Indycar "Players/Forsyth Racing car # 99
1/48 Monogram P-47D Thunderbolt.

You think you have it bad? Try having about a million kits at the click of a button and a few more in physical stash. My gosh it gets difficult to resist build urges :D

I find the best solution is to strap yourself down. Put the other kits out of sight. And work on one kit until it's finished.

Your best bet is that before you build, make 100% sure that you're absolutely interested in the subject matter. Then, I find it's best to immerse yourself in documentaries, and myriads of information regarding the subject to really drive that interest home.

I have three kits going on right now my hornisse for the spring contest, AMT millennium falcon, and a 1/48 p-51d mustang. Since there is a deadline on the Hornisse I have decided to just pack away my other projects and solely concentrate on the one kit. Its easier for me to stay focused and organized when I only have one project on the bench. When I reach a stand still with this build or I get sick of working on it, I simply just go do something else instead of busting out another kit. For me its just nicer to return to the same project rather than a bench full of unfinished kits in various stages of being built. But thats just me ;)

Lately I have been able to finish a few mainly by keeping the project scope small, not trying to super detail anything and getting into paint asap.

Currently I have 2 at the weathering stage, 4+ in primer and a couple that are still getting assembled - a speeder and the 1.35 Xwing - there are a few dead builds in boxes as well.

You can only finish one at at time - why not start with one?

I dunno, somewhere like ECH, 30-40. It's a hobby. If you lose your mojo on something and don't want to do it, don't. Go on to something else. It's called time out. If a kit pisses you off, put it in time out. Run out of steam, time out. Run out of supplies, time out. You can always come back to it. There's no expiration date on them, so why add stress to not finishing one by some self imposed date? 8)

If you have 30-40 on the go you need a good kick in the ass! :D

I have mabe 6, 2 in primer my 2 Sma builds wich are both at about the 40% mark the su-85 will get put back on the bench after the bsc,

Oh and I have the tiger 100 and Stryker ready for weathering

Best way to get focused is take a break, come back to the bench with a clear plate pic one of the unfinished builds and get it done.

Super detailing can ruin the fun on a build this is why I don't do that, I build to have fun

Gundamhead said:
No, I need more shelves. ;D

The stash size dictates the time out size.

Exactly.....if you take the number of kit sin progress vs the number of kits in the stash, I bet everyone's percentages are about the same.

For example, I know my stash is somewhere in the 600-700 range, 30-40 kits in progress, about 5.7%.....not really that bad. Someone with a stash of only 10 kits, but 5 in progress.....50%...those are the ones I worry about.

Fact is....you start building something and like Gundamhead says....you loose your mojo on it, get PO'ed at it, or life gets in the way, whatever. Better to take a step back and box it up for another time, than to smash it up against the wall, or if you loose your mojo on the build and force yourself to push through.....good chance you are going to end up with a less than what you expected outcome.

if you loose your mojo on the build and force yourself to push through.....good chance you are going to end up with a finished build and that alone might help you to do it again.

Just saying....that worked for me. I pushed through and finished one..it wasn't awesome but it was finished. I then finished 2 others after that.

Three.

1. The Bronco Humber for the HLJ build was only just started.

2. A Dragon half track I owe MMiR, which is about two hours from being finished and will be finished before I start anything new.

3. The Finemolds Falcon which is my back burner long term project.

In the past I use to have a lot of unfinished projects laying around but I put a stop to that right quick when I realized just how detrimental it was to keeping my mojo going. Completing a project on the other hand has the opposite effect on me and the feeling of completion is always a huge boost to get into the next one. My stash usually hovers around the same number, about 30 kits. I just bought one kit at Nationals this past weekend but then again I just completed one as well, so it always seems to even out. edit: (actually just finished two since the gun I mounted on the truck is a separate kit.)

I don't really care for the building process all that much, so I just soldier through it to get to what I love, which is painting and weathering. Now if I could just find someone who felt the opposite, who would send me their kit to paint and weather (and then I'd send back to them) I'd be in good shape. lol

lol Ken i love teh building stage, i think this is because im not as good as some others at weathering but i think im starting to enjoy that aspect more now tough.

On the bench:

Super Semi Zinger
Mercury 9

Both are for the contest, so they get my primary focus.

Started and not finished:

MPC Millennium falcon
Two different A-wings
Brakiri Cruiser
Martian war machine
1/350 enterprise NX

The falcon and the a-wings got put aside when the contest came. I will go back to those when the contest is over.

Same with the Brakiri, although I might pick up on her a bit while the contest is running. She is very near the painting stage, which is not very time consuming on a daily basis.

The Martian war machine and the NX were set aside when I realized I didn't have the skills necessary to complete them to the standard I would have liked. I now have the skills to finish up that war machine and the NX. So I expect to see them back on the bench soon.

I have about 200 kits in the stash, so how do I compare to Scott and Gundamhead?

As for motivation. I only build subjects I really want to see done. This helps keep me focused. Also, getting the project done has such a satisfaction to it that I just try to build to that end. Getting it done.

Most of my WIP pile is at the detail/decalling stage.
And, even then, there are only, maybe, 5-6 of them.

Truly active on the bench: ONE, and I like to keep it that way. Mostly because I know what will happen if I don't.

I think for myself...alot get to the stage where I really can't go forward without getting the airbrush out, and since I am pretty much a lazy bum when it comes to cleaning the airbrush.....don't get it dirty, don't have to clean it, and I end up just moving on to something else.

Bad habit I know.

Bad habit to keep buying kits as well....but it could be worse, instead of SMA, it could be AA, or GA!!

I've only recently gotten heavy into the hobby so I'm not yet as addicted as maybe a few others... I currently have two kits that are WIP. (3 if you count my M1-A2 which I haven't gotten around to adding stowage to yet. But is as close as it can get to done without being done.)

1. Kintec's M-ATV - about 50% done - Lost motovation about 2 weeks ago. Will pull it out whenever and try to finish it for the BSC. I found that when I have a deadline I don't do well)

2. Academy CH-53E - about 3% done. I just opened this kit up and have begun a little bit of construction.

I have 2 other kits in the stash and one coming in the mail this week. I am trying to keep my stash down so that I don't "have" to start a new project before the next one is done. I found that if I have a couple kits in the stash I'm so eager to get cracking that I kinda loose drive on whats in front of me. Maybe I'm a little A.D.D. haha.

lol i get a kick when you say a deadline it is 3 months and after 2 weeks you had half of it done!

I borrowed a methodology from work that helped me catchup, but deadlines for comps kinda made it hard to stick to.

It was a (10x I think) work flow.
I might still have it around somewhere, just have to find it.
Does work, just need strong discipline.

Latest posts

Back