High gloss paint?

hook1169

"220 221 Whatever it takes" - Mr. Mom , M. Keaton
Should I use an enamel paint if I want to get a high gloss coat of paint? Like that of a nice new car finish? Or are the tamiya paints just as good as say a floquil or MM enamel?

thanks for any tips you may have.

Really the paint doesn't make much difference if you are putting a gloss coat over it.

You can paint a flat/matt coat and still have a high gloss finish if you just over coat it with some layers of gloss varnish.

Of course polishing it out is also going to make it shine also.

I'd go with Scott on this one .I prefer to lay a matt colour down and then a clearcoat ....much better job in my opinion .

Chris.

I would of never thought..... I am glad you guys were here to answer my question! Much appreciated.

Plus I have always found that flats are so much easier to lay down then glosses (gloss tends to run). Like Scott and Chris said finish in clear gloss.

Couldn't agree more.
Enamels ofthen give a better shine but for a showroom finish on your auto kits its all about the clearcoats.
2K clears are awesome but make sure you have a decent respirator (not a simple dust mask) and good ventilation or a spray booth.

Alclad make a great 'Gloss Klear Kote' that sprays well right out of the bottle and if you can get gold of Future then I know a lot of people who have used that as a clearcoat that gives a great finish once polished up, it is a floor polish after all :)

Latest posts

Back