Hello from Latrobe!

RocketFoot

Hello from Latrobe, PA! I'm just getting back into model building after 40 years! I built lots of kits when I was still in school but never took the time to paint or detail them. Now that I am older (and maybe a little wiser) I want to go all out and build some beautiful models! I am still gathering tools and supplies...I just bought an Avanti Air Brush kit with a dual action trigger from Harbor freight. I also got some hobby tools, liquid chrome paint pens, Tamiya painting stands and several cutting mats! I can handle the basics but I am now ready to start buying some paints and primers so this is where I will have tons of questions! My favorite model kits are Muscle Cars, Military Planes, Tanks and Mack Trucks!

Last edited:
From Rolling Rock country! And birthplace of the great Arnold Palmer, and Mister Rogers! Welcome back to the hobby and to the Herd!

You might be interested in an upcoming show, too, PennCon, which is held by the Central PA IPMS chapter. That's coming up next Saturday, the 16th, at the US Army Heritage Center in Carlisle.

Here's the page about the show at the club's website:

http://www.cenpennipms.com/?page_id=33

Visiting a show is a great way to meet other modelers in person, to see what others build, and to browse vendor tables for kits, supplies, etc. Some of our guys from the Lehigh Valley Scale Modelers are making a road trip to the show, though I won't be able to.

Again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing your builds!

Best regards,
Brad

Hello from Latrobe, PA! I'm just getting back into model building after 40 years! I built lots of kits when I was still in school but never took the time to paint or detail them. Now that I am older (and maybe a little wiser) I want to go all out and build some beautiful models! I am still gathering tools and supplies...I just bought an Avanti Air Brush kit with a dual action trigger from Harbor freight. I also got some hobby tools, liquid chrome paint pens, Tamiya painting stands and several cutting mats! I can handle the basics but I am now ready to start buying some paints and primers so this is where I will have tons of questions! My favorite model kits are Muscle Cars, Military Planes, Tanks and Mack Trucks!
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

From Rolling Rock country! And birthplace of the great Arnold Palmer, and Mister Rogers! Welcome back to the hobby and to the Herd!

You might be interested in an upcoming show, too, PennCon, which is held by the Central PA IPMS chapter. That's coming up next Saturday, the 16th, at the US Army Heritage Center in Carlisle.

Here's the page about the show at the club's website:

http://www.cenpennipms.com/?page_id=33

Visiting a show is a great way to meet other modelers in person, to see what others build, and to browse vendor tables for kits, supplies, etc. Some of our guys from the Lehigh Valley Scale Modelers are making a road trip to the show, though I won't be able to.

Again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing your builds!

Best regards,
Brad
Don't forget the home of the first Banana Split and the birthplace of professional football (and Pittsburgh Steeler's Training Camp) Yeah, I guess we are over achievers, LOL!

Welcome!!!! Lots of great info here, dig into older posts for suggestions and solutions, or, just ask!!

Keep in mind:
Some kits you build, some build you :)

Thanks for the welcomes! The first few models I am going to build are the AMT and the Revell Mustang Mach 1 in 1/25 scale. I am building th both to be exact replicas of my actual 1971 Mach 1! I've been collecting yellow 71 Mach 1 diecast for years but now I am upping the game to building them, LOL! Here is a pic of the actual car...

20170610_154704_inpixio.jpeg
After I finish the Mach 1's I might build some Mack Trucks and some military aircraft which I also collect in diecast plus some space ships from Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG and some other smaller franchises! I'm a huge scifi fan as well!

Last edited:
Small world, I lived in Ligonier in the mid 80s before moving to California. Also back to building after 45 yrs .I'm an ex
Trucker so I do mainly big rigs

When you say "Avanti Airbrush Kit", I'm guessing it's the gravity feed brush with the compressor?
I have both the gravity feed and siphon feed brushes, but it doesn't look like the same brush that's in the compressor kit. They're OK brushes. They work well, at least for me, and aren't too bad to clean. I only spray acrylics, so I can't offer any guidance as to how they'd hold up to harsh solvents.

Thanks for the welcomes! The first few models I am going to build are the AMT and the Revell Mustang Mach 1 in 1/25 scale. I am building th both to be exact replicas of my actual 1971 Mach 1! I've been collecting yellow 71 Mach 1 diecast for years but now I am upping the game to building them, LOL! Here is a pic of the actual car...

View attachment 105706
After I finish the Mach 1's I might build some Mack Trucks and some military aircraft which I also collect in diecast plus some space ships from Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG and some other smaller franchises! I'm a huge scifi fan as well!
Awesome car! I always liked that body style of Mustang. 351 Cleveland?

If you get the chance, I'd HIGHLY recommend attending a model show if you can. They are super resources for buying kits- I've always found some great deals on some old kits that I either built or wanted to build when I was a kid. (decals often need replacing, though). About the only downside is the absolutely beautiful, phenomenal builds that you'll see on display... it makes my own not-THAT-bad builds look downright crude in comparison.

Latest posts

Back