Grendels lighting Tutorials

hey john what seller do you get your lights off ebay from? my lights should be here between the 13th and 20th. i cant believe i can get them that cheap on their compaired to 60 cents a light at most places i looked at. still geting my supplies together i have thought about modelmantoms kit since it comes with everything i need to look around for wire and battery pack. just leting ya know how my search is coming along. keep up the the good work or the videos :eek: outstanding

Here are a couple that I have used:

bestshop2008hk

led.shop*2010

mobilev

And then there is modelersbrand from model man tom.

I thought I'd have a go at some lights - it all seems pretty straight forward so long I apply some common sense and take my time....

then I started shopping around for components and it becomes baffling. All the different types of chips, capacitors resistors ( I found an electronics supplier that does free postage and no minimum order so good for odd bits to play with) and a search for 555 timer throws up dozens.

So then I go looking up what all the codes and letters mean to try to make some sense and I have had some success. Finally.

Having watched the videos earlier more than once, noted that a 555Timer isn't really suitable for battery power I found a "low power" variant which states in the technical spec - very low power consumption, so could this run off batteries?

Did the chip list what it's power consumption is? If so can you post it? If not, do you have a link to it's spec sheet? I can read it off of the spec sheet.

The big problem with batteries is that these chips need at least 5V to run. This means you are restricted to 9V batteries, and they don't supply enough juice.

Once I get your info, I will post the math here, or make a video about it and post it.

It's on this sheet...

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1388168.pdf

The TLC555CP or TLC555IP, the only difference I can determine is the operation temp window. ???

I was considering using a couple of 1/3N lithium cells in a home made holder. The reason behind this is I want it to be portable and space is really limited inside the model I'm considering using it on as I want the inside details showing as well through the open hatches.

I just had another thought that if I can get a variety of different flash rates off a 4060 then I might be able to use that.

I'm just compiling a shopping list to get some stuff and have a go 8)

I read through the Spec sheet and that chip uses little or no power. It would work fine with batteries.

Your choice in battery will power 8 LED's for an hour. Here is how you figure this out:

The spec sheet on the battery says it will supply 160mAh. Which is mili amp hour. A typical LED will consume 20 mA. So if you take the 160 and divide by 20 you get 8 hours. This means that the battery will supply power to one LED for 8 hours or 8 LED's for one hour.

This is an over simplification. The voltage on the battery will drop as it supplies power. So the effective life will be less. Most likely those 8 LED's will light up for thirty minutes or so.

Now add in the chip you want, the low power 555 and it really won't make much difference. The spec sheet says it consumes 1mA.

A couple of things to remember:

555 chip:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Voltate in = voltage out. Resistors will be needed on LED's
[*]Will only provide one blink rate
[/list]

4060:

[list type=decimal]
[*]multiple blink rates
[*]regulates voltage
[/list]

And both chips must have at least 5V to work. So you will need two batteries in series to give enough voltage.

I just got another battery as they are half price ;D

I thought about the 5V as I was reading through something else and realised I'd need 2.

I have a plan coming together and as parts arrive in the post I will check fit / see how much space I have, particularly with LEDs I was thinking of using a multicolour with fibre-optics to make a flashing console effect thus reducing the actual LED count.

Thanks for the info - I can't wait for my stuff to arrive so I can give it a go!

I want to see it when done, if you post it on the forum, let me know.

Glad I could help!

I certainly will post when I get going - once I get by Breadboard and bits I will post my attempts at getting things going, then the model and how I think I can get stuff to work.

Now I'm reading about getting LEDs to fade in and out using transistors, your videos have got me hooked on lighting projects it seems ;D (well it will once I get going)

You figure out how to get them to fade, then you can teach me something! I have been looking for that circuit!

I think fading can be done with a transistor and capacitor - set up right it will "cycle" dim / bright / dim .... without having to be switched; just need the rest of my stuff to arrive to test it ;D

TiM said:
I think fading can be done with a transistor and capacitor - set up right it will "cycle" dim / bright / dim .... without having to be switched; just need the rest of my stuff to arrive to test it ;D

I think I have seen a circuit like that long ago. When you get your stuff, let me know!

I now have a box of stuff, unfortunately I forgot to add capacitors to the shopping list and so will be placing another order...

in the meantime I am going to dismantle a couple of old modem cards and pillage bits to start playing with! I will not be stopped.... ;D

this doesn't really apply to any wiring but what do you use to hole led's in place? Like for instance the end of a tube or something, is a two part epoxy good? Super glue? I'm not really sure what to use

amateurmodeler said:
this doesn't really apply to any wiring but what do you use to hole led's in place? Like for instance the end of a tube or something, is a two part epoxy good? Super glue? I'm not really sure what to use

The answer is YES. In other words, I have used all of the above. My favorite is two part epoxy. But super glue will work. I have even used good old white glue. And hot glue gun as well.

I took some pre-wired leds out of an old pc last week - they were secured with hot glue.
I intend to use either hot glue or araldite to hold them in place as they have some "bulk", also I plan on making some simple holders out of tube so I can feed fibre optic into the other end and either shrink wrap or paint to stop light diffusing through.

The answer is YES. In other words, I have used all of the above. My favorite is two part epoxy. But super glue will work. I have even used good old white glue. And hot glue gun as well.

sweet, thanks man

Excellent tutorials Grendel. Thanks for posting. They are exactly the things I have been looking for to help me with my 1st model. Please keep them coming. Loved you Spray Booth videos too.

Andy

Thanks! Don't worry I will keep them coming. There will be a lot of lighting work in my Mercury 9 build.

Grendels,

I took your advice on buying LEDs in bulk from Ebay; you saved me a lot of cash!
I checked out your 555 timer vids and had a question about purchasing capacitors.
Ebay has sellers offering a mixed bag of caps; should I buy those, if not I'd appreciate any suggestion where to get them.
Also not to clear on exactly which caps to get for 555. I believe you used a 10uF in the vid; is that what I need?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back