Modular kit lighting question (in over my head)

Unreality

or Jonathan if you prefer
OK, so I've poured over Grendels videos (great stuff by the way), and I have an interesting predicament. I am building a multi-level interior for a YT-1300 ship, and I want the different levels lit.

Here's a breakdown of the levels:
Bottom floor crawlspace - lit with red LEDs, won't be a problem as it won't be removable

Main level floor - yellow LEDs for wall lights and fiber for panels (can you make it removable with the fiber optics in there and little room to work?)

Main level cockpit - More fibers, separate piece from the floor, still has wall lights and panels

I saw a little of what Grendel did with the NSEA Protector, but I'd like a few more ideas just to throw around in my head. Thoughts?

BTW: I won't be doing blinkers, so no need for circuits...just LEDs, fiber, and resistors...all connected to a 12V DC adapter. In theory that is.

Not sure how to help you here. I did see your build over in Sci Fi. Are you thinking about doing the build in sections, that can be taken out from time to time?

Originally, that was the plan. But I realize (because I can't splice fiber) that I would need at least one LED per section, as well as some way of completing the circuit or wire connectors for each section. That would be a headache and a half (not to mention the space required in the model).

So, I'm thinking I just need to make the kit modular for painting purposes...then mount the fiber. Then to touch up as needed...and hope I never have to deal with a short or anything like that.

By the way, did you put fiber or just an LED in the little shuttle on the NSEA Protector?

I cut out all the windows in the shuttle, placed an LED in it and used brass screen to get the electricity into the shuttle. It is a bit fiddly, so I wouldn't do that again.

One way to do the connections is with scale train rails. They have connectors and will just slide into each other. But it would be easier to just build in sections and do the lighting separately.

After tomorrow I will be away from the site for a week and a half. It is crunch time at work and I will basically put in a months labor in 9 days. So if I don't answer quickly that will be why.

Latest posts

Back