Grendels lighting tutorial

This is very helpful!!! :D

I am working on my revell 1/72 space shuttle cockpit and I'm planning to add LED's to it. and tons more details....

Quaralane: I do have the seats done, both the front and the rear. I will get it posted soon. I am trying to get all of the basics on the lighting tutorial done first. Only a few more of those to go and I can get back to work on the falcon.

Here is the next update, this time we are reading circuit diagrams and putting together a circuit:

Lighting tutorial: Reading circuit diagrams 4060 style

The capacitor was: One 0.01 micro farad capacitor, mine says 103f on it

I have to make a few more segments for the 4060 feature video and then I can get it up. Probably this weekend. I did a lot of posting on YouTube in the last few days, and I want to give people time to catch up!

One other issue with "flashing" LEDs is that they may not flash in unision when wired up together.
I ran into this with my 1/537 USS Odysseus kitbash.

These chips would be a MUCH better way of getting blinking lights.

Very nice tips, though, John

Quaralane said:
One other issue with "flashing" LEDs is that they may not flash in unision when wired up together.
I ran into this with my 1/537 USS Odysseus kitbash.

These chips would be a MUCH better way of getting blinking lights.

Very nice tips, though, John

I was afraid of that, they are leaking signal, causing the other LED's to become erratic. That is also a problem with the 555 timer chip.

To me this chip is the easiest one to get blinking lights out of. One capacitor, one resistor, and you have it. No resistors on the LED's, no crazy wiring. Real simple. These chips are cheap too! Look on Ebay, you can get them from anywhere from $0.50 to $1.00 each.

Great info on the 4060! Now I know exactly how to get the wig-wag lights on the police car I want to build :D

As for the self-blinking LED's, I have used one of them once, and if you connect a blinker to a standard LED in series, it causes the non-blinker to blink in unison. Sometimes for real simple things that's all you need.

You are welcome!!

I have heard from a few that that RGB flashers behave in funny ways when you put them together, but I have not heard that they make other LED's Blink. Good info to know!

Grendels said:
You are welcome!!

I have heard from a few that that RGB flashers behave in funny ways when you put them together, but I have not heard that they make other LED's Blink. Good info to know!

Actually I was referring to the regular blinking LED's that have been around for years now. I thought it was that type that someone was mentioning in a previous post. I do not know how a regular LED would act when put in series with one of those groovy multi-color flashers that you had in your last video. But I think a great application for that groovy flashing LED would be in an astromech/R2 unit's head!

Again, great job with the videos-- lots of useful how-to stuff.

I should be getting my 4060B CHIPS soon ! Well I hope ? LOL and will be Playing "John" the Science Guy on YouTUbe... LOL

Just to prove it really does work... I know it does but so that others can see its not "Black Magic" !

Thanks JOHN for all that Time filming and making those Circuits for us...

Norm.

schweinhund227 said:
I should be getting my 4060B CHIPS soon ! Well I hope ? LOL and will be Playing "John" the Science Guy on YouTUbe... LOL

Just to prove it really does work... I know it does but so that others can see its not "Black Magic" !

Thanks JOHN for all that Time filming and making those Circuits for us...

Norm.

Feel free to post that here. So others can see it does work.

I will get started on the 555 videos this week. Work has kept me really busy last week, and I got nothing done on models..... :'(

Definitely have your work cut out for you.
I remember that "cockpit," and not too fondly.
I ended up painting "Luke" as Han and building a console from thin balsa many moons ago.

Good luck on her, John

Thanks Patrick! I know I have my work cut out.

Here is the next update!!!! The chairs are now done!

Millennium Falcon: The chairs are done!

It will be a couple of weeks until I get back to her. I am trying to finish up the Brakiri and Dessloks before I get too far on this one.

Awesome work so far Grendels! Very cool. I also got an MC 80 through the post last week! ;D

Latest posts

Back