Grendels lighting tutorial

Definitely looking at lighting my Falcon build now.
I've got the LEDs
I've got fiber optic.

I may even have a plan.....

Quaralane said:
Definitely looking at lighting my Falcon build now.
I've got the LEDs
I've got fiber optic.

I may even have a plan.....

I will be making a video of my lighting plan in the next week or two. Hopefully this weekend!

Thanx Gren.,
I ahve been needing/wanting someone to help explain this stuff.
I have been to hobby shops, and they weren't of any help.
Looking forward for tips on how to create set-ups with multiple effects, like maybe different types of lights, timing chips, and stuff.
;D
thanx.

aaaah John you leave us Hanging... feed us the rest... LOL

Fun to see you play with LED's

I better pull out my Breadboard and find my Toys...

give us a link to your fav. Chinese supplier... might as well !

Later big guy !!!

schweinhund227 said:
aaaah John you leave us Hanging... feed us the rest... LOL

Fun to see you play with LED's

I better pull out my Breadboard and find my Toys...

give us a link to your fav. Chinese supplier... might as well !

Later big guy !!!

Do an Ebay user search for bestshop2008hk 100 LED's shipped to the US for $5 with shipping included.

Norm, work is VERY busy right now. I am putting in 30 hours today and tomorrow. So it will be a bit, but not that long... Next one will be up later in the week, probably Friday or Saturday.

Quaralane said:
My biggest trick will be the front console. Not a lot of room in the 1/144 ship

Very true! Some tiny fibers sound like they would work. I think the smallest fiber is 0.5mm

ModelMakerMike said:
Thanx Gren.,
I ahve been needing/wanting someone to help explain this stuff.
I have been to hobby shops, and they weren't of any help.
Looking forward for tips on how to create set-ups with multiple effects, like maybe different types of lights, timing chips, and stuff.
;D
thanx.

I will get to this really soon. I have a four day weekend starting this Thursday. So I should be able to get a lot of work done....

astroboy said:
After months...I FINALLY found the right wire wrapping tool. So I'm ready to get into my madman lighting kit on Oct 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(mind you, I also can't wait to see what modeltom has to offer)

and what will you do with a Wire wrapping tool my friend ??? now a days its pretty much ancient technology ?

plz enlighten my Old brain !!! maybe I could make use of such a tool... I used it on OLD Telephone connection back in the days and some 1973 Switchboard equipment !!! but it soon lost it appeal !

we even had an electric winding one... pretty good ! but obsolete by the time we got them !!!

later big guy....

are you sassing me? Is that sass?

Anyway, the madman lighitng kit called for using a wirewrap tool in the instructions.

I like those Videos. Tried some ligthing for my own. I have the MPC Fiber optics Star Destroyer :) I even remember that electric drill of you first video. It works for several minutes, before the drill bit breaking off ;D Maybe not my kind of tool, hehe!

Chiefpettyofficer said:
I like those Videos. Tried some ligthing for my own. I have the MPC Fiber optics Star Destroyer :) I even remember that electric drill of you first video. It works for several minutes, before the drill bit breaking off ;D Maybe not my kind of tool, hehe!

Thank you, the next set will be up later tonight!!!

I have had that tool for years, and it still works fine. I use it all the time. That drill bit is so small and tiny that I just treat it with TLC.

Grendels said:
I have had that tool for years, and it still works fine. I use it all the time. That drill bit is so small and tiny that I just treat it with TLC.

Youre lucky ;D But drilling holes with the handy drill is funny, too. You get a ... special relationship with every hole... ;D

astroboy said:
are you sassing me? Is that sass?

Anyway, the madman lighitng kit called for using a wirewrap tool in the instructions.

Wire wrapping is extremely unreliable, no sass intended astrodude. The concept is that wrapping a post or extremity will produce an easy method of connection. However....wire, usually copper, the perfect conductor of electricity, being flexible, aka a soft metal, is affected by temperature, as all metals are. In cold it contracts, in heat it expands. Also, the tension you use in wrapping, loses grip, relaxes eventually, and slides off if the item is jarred or shaken. Take the time to learn some basic soldering, and it's brother, shrink wrapping. Not hard to learn, and with a bit of practice, and the basic tools Grendel outlined, it will become routine.

Once you seal a model up with this method, it is easy for this to happen, and performing surgery is never a good thing. It just isn't a good way to do it unless your are simply conducting a test run on a circuit.

Trust me on this, it's no fun when the lights stop working..... :(

Hey Grendels, I am really enjoying your series on lighting and electronics. I have watched a lot of videos on youtube about wiring LEDs with a 555 chip and most are terrible. I look forward to you getting to that part of your series. You seem to be going at a reasonable pace, explaining each step and giving us some really good closeups of your work.

As far as getting that glow for engines, what about the option of using the side-emitting fiber optics. I know you talk to MMT a lot and i remember he did a review of these recently so i am sure you are aware of them. What do you think about them?

Another method for dispersing the light inside a model that i have seen is to use cotton balls. This method was used in an episode of Plamo Tsukurou, where the modeller was depicting the fire in Azuchi Castle. He put some LEDs inside and stuffed stretched cotton balls around them so your view through the windows was an orange glow throughout. I suppose this method would be more applicable for the fire because it also simulated smoke as well.

Again, keep up the good work.

Hey gang, I see that you guys use wax paper and such for light difffusion. I work in theatre and we use lighting gel on our lights for colour and for diffusion. If you had any of this at your disposal, a little goes a LONG way. Rosco the main manufacturer of it. Any theatre supply store would carry tons of it. There's over a hundred different colours and diffusions.

The sheets are about 2" x 3" and they run about $10 each. plus, they're made to withstand heat.

And if any of you know of ANYONE who works in a theatre, they always have tons of scraps around.

astroboy said:
Hey gang, I see that you guys use wax paper and such for light difffusion. I work in theatre and we use lighting gel on our lights for colour and for diffusion. If you had any of this at your disposal, a little goes a LONG way. Rosco the main manufacturer of it. Any theatre supply store would carry tons of it. There's over a hundred different colours and diffusions.

The sheets are about 2" x 3" and they run about $10 each. plus, they're made to withstand heat.

And if any of you know of ANYONE who works in a theatre, they always have tons of scraps around.

Hey Dude! Awesome, I worked in theater for many years, yep, roscolux "Gels" are awesome.

The now hard to find swatches are also extremely useful, super good advice my man, well done! ;D

Gamcolor is good as well, just look up "Theatrical Lighting Supplies" and you'll find sheets of many colors are only a few bucks a sheet. You can epoxy this material to clear pieces to really give deep color tones!!

ScaleModelDisciple said:
...As far as getting that glow for engines, what about the option of using the side-emitting fiber optics. I know you talk to MMT a lot ...

Another method for dispersing the light inside a model that i have seen is to use cotton balls. This method was used in an episode of Plamo Tsukurou, where the modeller was depicting the fire in Azuchi Castle...

The side firing Fiber will not likely be strong enough across the length needed. If you saw my video, you know that the middle lighting is mediocre at best ---for this circumstance---. A random array of single leds would light things better. If space were at a premium inside the Falcon and even lighting was not an issue, the fiber might be a good option. But in this case, space is plentiful. Years ago, I was going to use a couple ccfl tubes. The problem was, being straight, one foot rods, they could only get so close and the light was uneven because the back of the ship is a curve and the rods are not. So the ends of the engine bay were brighter than the center.

I saw that video of the 'cottonball castle'. That was ingenius and simulated smokey fire very well. In this instance, simple mil jug plastic or wax paper is your better solution, imo. The wax or plastic will provide a nice even glow whereas the cotton balls will always be 'puffy' and stretched too thin or thick across the area. Also depending on how many leds, how much cotton, that will get warm.

A short circuit, imo, would start a fire far easier in a tightly packed cottonball situation than if a small sheet of wax paper were simple near the leds and they shorted. The milk jug plastic is even better protection since it wouldn't combust, (but would, of course, melt).

Check this link for the Falcon Engine Bay special Modeler's Brand is having!
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3970.new.html#new

ModelMan said:
ScaleModelDisciple said:
...As far as getting that glow for engines, what about the option of using the side-emitting fiber optics. I know you talk to MMT a lot ...

Another method for dispersing the light inside a model that i have seen is to use cotton balls. This method was used in an episode of Plamo Tsukurou, where the modeller was depicting the fire in Azuchi Castle...

The side firing Fiber will not likely be strong enough across the length needed. If you saw my video, you know that the middle lighting is mediocre at best ---for this circumstance---. A random array of single leds would light things better. If space were at a premium inside the Falcon and even lighting was not an issue, the fiber might be a good option. But in this case, space is plentiful. Years ago, I was going to use a couple ccfl tubes. The problem was, being straight, one foot rods, they could only get so close and the light was uneven because the back of the ship is a curve and the rods are not. So the ends of the engine bay were brighter than the center.

I saw that video of the 'cottonball castle'. That was ingenius and simulated smokey fire very well. In this instance, simple mil jug plastic or wax paper is your better solution, imo. The wax or plastic will provide a nice even glow whereas the cotton balls will always be 'puffy' and stretched too thin or thick across the area. Also depending on how many leds, how much cotton, that will get warm.

A short circuit, imo, would start a fire far easier in a tightly packed cottonball situation than if a small sheet of wax paper were simple near the leds and they shorted. The milk jug plastic is even better protection since it wouldn't combust, (but would, of course, melt).

Check this link for the Falcon Engine Bay special Modeler's Brand is having!
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3970.new.html#new

Wasn't gonna say anything, good point Dude...... 8)

Latest posts

Back