Polar Lights Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Papermodder said:
When I first saw 3D printing machines coming down in price, I thought it was only a mater of time till they entered into the modeling hobby. Maybe in time will be able to down load a pattern from somewhere or design your own, then print out the parts on your own machine or at a local service. What you are doing LrdSatyr is just the beginning.

Jim
Wow thanks for that.... I have been wondering what has been taking people so long to do this. Its the only logical step. The tech has been here for the past 10 years now, and its just now starting to come down in price enough to allow this type of stuff to be possible. But you're right... it's only the beginning! And I can see a very cool future!

we still got a lot time 2 months would be enough except for multi entries :D

It's been awhile since my last update... I've been dealing with life as well as doing as much 3D modeling as I can. I finally sent my first piece to the printers. It'll be the roof rack hose box on the passenger side. Because I have an actual place to put it on the kit part, I was able to get some accurate measurements for placing it. If it comes out right, I'll be able to use the measurements I've made to apply to the rest of the pieces. Looks like it's gonna be about a week turn around from sending to the printer to getting them back. If it's off, I'll be able to adjust my measurements accurately and hopefully everything will come out ok. In any event, I've got just about all the extra details done (including side mirrors, extra beacon light, box fan, dash can, and antenna mounts). Still working on the gurney rack for the packs in the back. Just can't seem to find any good measurement info for the one that was used so am having to guess everything and keep running into problems with one piece not fitting where it should and having to redo another to get it to work. Major pain in the butt! In any event, as soon as the test piece comes in I'll be taking pics and letting everyone see how it came out. More to come!

Well... I'm sorry to say there's no way I'll be able to get this model finished in time before the deadline. The panel/consoles I designed can't be printed to the scale that I need and I will have to scratch build them all and there is no way in the time left to do that. I've gotten everything else done except for the lighting and interior painting. But at this point I'm gonna have to shelf this kit until I have more time to complete it. Been having alot of personal home issues lately too so it hasn't been helping at all. But I talked to Scott and he is allowing me to enter another kit that I've completed in the All Open catagory after I pay another fee. No problem. I'm gonna get some pics of it and post them soon. I apologize everyone... I guess I was putting too much faith in being able to print the pieces I was gonna need and that kinda feel thru because the details were too small to print. Who knows... maybe I'll be able to find a printer out there that wil be able to do it for me when the tech catches up! Again... I'm sorry about this one... but at least I'll have something in the contest!

Yeah me too. Some of the key peices I needed printing just wouldn't print at this scale. That's ok.. perhaps sometime in the future I'll get my own 3D printer and do some printing experiments and see what I can come up with on my own. Then ya better watch out! :)

Grendels said:
Sorry to hear it won't get done. Next year however.....

I may not be out yet... Talked to Scott and he'll let me enter a finished model I did recently into the All Open catagory. As soon as I get the pics, I'll be posting it.

Latest posts

Back