Grendels lighting tutorial

Grendels

Hello all,

I am making a set of five video covering the basics of lighting up your models. (No fire, just light from LED's)

The set of videos will be as follows:

Basic tools part one and two
Soldering
LED basics
LED light strips
Making things blink: Timing chips and circuit diagrams

After that, I will start up on the MF herself. But no actual building will be done until after Oct. 1st.

I am very busy at work right now, so I still haven't gotten the lighting plan done. I will have a four day weekend starting on the 30th. I will get it done then, but if I can I will work it up this weekend.

So for now, I will get these five videos done so you can learn a bit before you begin!

speaking of which, here is the first tool video:

Lighting Tutorial: Basic tools part 1

The next part will be up soon

These are really great John. Totally looking forward to the next. I've lit a couple models but for me it's been hit and miss. It will be great to actually learn some technique. That hangar I'm building will require a TON of lighting and I hope to learn more about how to power it all from these vids.

Again, thank you for this.

Most excellent G! Your enthusiasm is contagious. I'm getting excited about this falcon build now!! I'm looking forward to see what you end up doing with the cockpit, (i.e. If you do some scratch building in there).

Grendels said:
Thanks Scott, I will try to get the series of all five videos up soon!

Awesome. This is great stuff G. We've needed something like this for quite some time. I hope peeps see that adding lighting to models isn't rocket science - and applicable to more than sci-fi subjects. Imaging a big piece of armor with the search light lit up, headlights where applicable etc...I think it would be cool. Great for armor dioramas too.

\m/

Debby Boone You light up my life

Some body slap me. I could have sworn I just saw a Debbie Boone video! ;D ;D ;D

Hey John. What wattage is that soldering pencil? rat shack has at least 3 different ones. I have two of them.

Thanks!

ShutterAce said:
Some body slap me. I could have sworn I just saw a Debbie Boone video! ;D ;D ;D

Hey John. What wattage is that soldering pencil? rat shack has at least 3 different ones. I have two of them.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that in the video. It is 25 watts. I didn't know what the wattage was when I made the video. I had to get a new one, because I have lost the tips and needed tips today. I don't have time to wait on them from the internets....

Scott Girvan said:
Grendels said:
Thanks Scott, I will try to get the series of all five videos up soon!

Awesome. This is great stuff G. We've needed something like this for quite some time. I hope peeps see that adding lighting to models isn't rocket science - and applicable to more than sci-fi subjects. Imaging a big piece of armor with the search light lit up, headlights where applicable etc...I think it would be cool. Great for armor dioramas too.

\m/

Debby Boone You light up my life

It isn't rocket science. It adds a little more work, sure, but it isn't rocket science. You do however have to be willing to modify your model to make room for wires and the lights themselves.

I decided today to re-shoot the LED video. So up next will be the review of Modelman Tom's light strips.

I will get that LED video done this weekend.

After months...I FINALLY found the right wire wrapping tool. So I'm ready to get into my madman lighting kit on Oct 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(mind you, I also can't wait to see what modeltom has to offer)

:) This is truly pedagogic, Grendels, you really "transmit".

Knowledge apart, it is noticeable how are you able to use the appropriate "wavelenghts" to get the message getting into one´s "processing machine + hard drive". You´re a truly educator, Grendels.

Thanks a lot for this excellent material, and congratulations for your communication abilities.

Cheers/Salud
RG

Awesome vids, Grendels! I learned a few new things. However for closing the shrink tube, I just use the edge of my soldering iron!!!!!! :eek:

Looking forward to the timer chip reviews and, of course the modelmantom light strips!

Excellent. Having that power supply and breadboard looks very helpful. I don't plan on lighting many models but playing with this kind of stuff is fun. :D

Great video G!! Lots of information and explanation. One quick question for ya: Does the SIZE of the LED affect the voltage requirement? i.e. Does a 2mm red LED require the same 2.2V that a 5mm red LED requires? Thanks G for all of your hard work on this tutorial!!

This is GREAT.when we get going, i'm gonna have to post up my entire plan for feedback. Electricity has always been me achilles heel

Thanks Astroboy!

ShutterAce said:
Excellent. Having that power supply and breadboard looks very helpful. I don't plan on lighting many models but playing with this kind of stuff is fun. :D

If you are going to play around with this stuff, the bread board and the power supply are very helpful. The cost of the bread board isn't that much. The power supply on the other hand, can be very expensive if you don't shop around. A new power supply that will allow you to adjust the voltage is over $100 for a cheap one.

The one I purchased off of ebay was probably close to $500 when it was new. There are no digital readouts, so no one wants power supplies like it any more. That makes me quite happy!

fumblethumbs said:
Great video G!! Lots of information and explanation. One quick question for ya: Does the SIZE of the LED affect the voltage requirement? i.e. Does a 2mm red LED require the same 2.2V that a 5mm red LED requires? Thanks G for all of your hard work on this tutorial!!

From what I can tell, the size of the LED has nothing to do with the voltage requirements. Click on the link for the LED voltage charts. Lots of good information there.

Latest posts

Back