Grendels lighting tutorial

I do have some lighting gels, and I haven't touched them yet. (I was just looking at them yesterday.) I will have to take a look, but the ones I have are pretty clear, so they won't diffuse the light very much.

I saw that same video about the cotton balls and the castle. The first thing I thought was if there was a short, then there would be a fire. Then I thought about it.

Low voltages don't spark much. So if you are using say 3V to light your LEDS, then you won't have a worry. But at 12V and a wall wort, then it might be an issue.

The heat from a few LED's won't light a fire. Just won't, a CCFL, doesn't generate that much heat either. Sure there is enough to melt plastic, or warp it, but not cause a fire.

Tom answered the side firing fiber question for me!

When I get to the Falcon, I will have a piece of milk jug to show you how it works.

Grendels said:
I do have some lighting gels, and I haven't touched them yet. (I was just looking at them yesterday.) I will have to take a look, but the ones I have are pretty clear, so they won't diffuse the light very much.

I saw that same video about the cotton balls and the castle. The first thing I thought was if there was a short, then there would be a fire. Then I thought about it.

Low voltages don't spark much. So if you are using say 3V to light your LEDS, then you won't have a worry. But at 12V and a wall wort, then it might be an issue.

The heat from a few LED's won't light a fire. Just won't, a CCFL, doesn't generate that much heat either. Sure there is enough to melt plastic, or warp it, but not cause a fire.

When I get to the Falcon, I will have a piece of milk jug to show you how it works.
well, just like they use color to alter the colour, they also have frost gel to disperse the light. You use them n combination.

In all honesty, if you p.m.'d me your address, i could send you a swatch book with samples of everything. If it proved useful, you could add it as a product recommendation

astroboy said:
Grendels said:

well, just like they use color to alter the colour, they also have frost gel to disperse the light. You use them n combination.

In all honesty, if you p.m.'d me your address, i could send you a swatch book with samples of everything. If it proved useful, you could add it as a product recommendation

Hey Astrodude! I'm down to one roscolux swatch, with 30% missing, if you have a few to spare, I'll take whatever you can give!

I'll pm you my address, spread it around as you wish, but I'd love one, or as many as you can spare. Happy to pay for shipping as well! 8)

So what is flux all about? And at our level of soldering, does rosin percentage really matter? Any ol' cheap solder will do?

ModelMan said:
So what is flux all about? And at our level of soldering, does rosin percentage really matter? Any ol' cheap solder will do?

Flux and rosin are in solder to help remove oils and oxidation from the surface of the two metals that you want to join together.

Electronics tends to using rosin core, while plumbing will use flux core. The main reason is that the flux has an acid base and the acid can damage delicate electronic parts.

Here is a good site that explains it all:

http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/how_to_solder/kind_of_solder/

Thanks for the mention John, and you mastered that soldering trick pretty darn quick! Compared to surface soldering, which I have found to be unreliable, this really makes a strong connection.

The kitties are awesome!! 8)

Got something to laugh, today . I watched your videos with my 4 Years old niece and she asked me: "why do this man talks so strange" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I told her, thats english, a foreign language. She looked at me and said, that she dont understand one word ;D
We watched the Cats and she said: "At least the cats played there the same way like here" ;D

Chiefpettyofficer said:
Got something to laugh, today . I watched your videos with my 4 Years old niece and she asked me: "why do this man talks so strange" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I told her, thats english, a foreign language. She looked at me and said, that she dont understand one word ;D
We watched the Cats and she said: "At least the cats played there the same way like here" ;D

HA! That's funny! ;D

Chiefpettyofficer said:

That is funny!!!

;D ;D ;D

Thanks for posting these!

I used LEDs and fiber on my contest entry. It turned out fairly well for a first attempt, but I wish I knew more about electronics. It would have been great to put a timing circuit in the Raider.

I am really looking forward to the timer vid in particular!

Grendels, thanks for the awesome videos! Really cool to see how easy those LED strips are to work with.

bkgActual said:
Thanks for posting these!

I used LEDs and fiber on my contest entry. It turned out fairly well for a first attempt, but I wish I knew more about electronics. It would have been great to put a timing circuit in the Raider.

I am really looking forward to the timer vid in particular!

It will be up within a week. I am still thinking though how I want to make that video

Igard said:
Grendels, thanks for the awesome videos! Really cool to see how easy those LED strips are to work with.

Thank you. Yes they are pretty easy to work with!

Now here is the next installment. My kit review. I really dropped the ball on this one. Started on the cockpit today and was severely disappointed....

Millennium Falcon: Kit review

Last night I got started on the cockpit. Modelman Tom posted a comment on my review video that helped me come up with a solution for seating.

I am using the gunner seats for the Cockpit front seats. Hacking up the front seats for the rear seats.

Here are a few work in progress photos. I am not done with the rear seats, but I am with the front ones:

20111002_2.jpg

Here is where I am with the rear seats:

20111002_3.jpg

Not looking that great, but with a figure in them:

20111002_4.jpg
20111002_5.jpg
20111002_6.jpg

I am still working on the rear seats, but I probably won't do too much more to them other than thin the width down a bit. With a figure in the seat, you can't see my mistakes that well anyway. Then factor in the cock pit glass.......

You get the idea.

Also, what is up with the first figure? One is suppose to be Han, but that second figure is wearing a visor. ?????????

Good review. Thanks. Yeah, the kit shows it's age for sure...but with work it'll shine.

First dude is Luke in his PJs..second one is the generic AMT 'space guy with a helmet' figure.

With the blast shield down how am I supposed to see......hans face.
Nice job on the seats Grendels!

Latest posts

Back