gloss and matte coat finish recommendation?

Fork Virus

Can any scale model addicts recommend what kind of gloss and flat coats I should use that are enamel paint friendly?

Thanx for viewing!

For a good gloss coat, you can't go wrong with Future floor polish. Or, as it's being called now "Pledge, with Future"
As far as the matte coats go, I really cant tell you as I mostly work in acrylics anymore

Quaralane said:
For a good gloss coat, you can't go wrong with Future floor polish. Or, as it's being called now "Pledge, with Future"
As far as the matte coats go, I really cant tell you as I mostly work in acrylics anymore

Thanx Quaralane! I wasn't sure of the Pledge with Future, because it's an acrylic based product. I'll put that on my buy list.

i find the vellajo one makes things look milky so for Matt i use Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear for Gloss i use Humbrol as i dont like future, helps to have a stirring tool for the humbroll ones tough

For gloss I use Klear / Future and for Matt I actually find Humbrols 'Acrylic' matt one of the best :)

Chris.

Thanx Addicts! You all relieved my fears about which coats I should get. I thought the clear coats were exclusive to what they were painted on in the first place (enamel paints stick to enamel coat/acrylic paints stick to acrylic coats.). Probably the best thing to do is try the "mentioned" above and see how it works. :D

Guys, what about Microscale's Micro Flat and Micro Satin. Any experience with these?

Scott Girvan said:
Guys, what about Microscale's Micro Flat and Micro Satin. Any experience with these?

Tons. They were my mainstay up until a few years ago when a gloss coat cracked on me, no idea why, but it prompted me to try the Vallejo's and I like them better if for no other reason than they are ready to airbrush (you have to thin the Micros with WATER).

For a gloss coat, honestly, the MicroScale finish is a little more consistent/smooth, the Vallejo gloss requiring a learned touch to get it right (tends to "texture" a little if you don't work fast or heavy enough), but for Matt the Vallejo produces a flawless DEAD flat finish, almost impossible to screw up.

Scott Girvan said:

I've used them for years but now I use Alcald's clear and flat.

wyoroy said:
Scott Girvan said:

I've used them for years but now I use Alcald's clear and flat.

I just used Alcald's flat and was impressed. Very nice results.

Cool Thanks. I had, and used the Vallejo Flat and Satin with great results, but ran out and saw the Micro Flat and Satin in a shop and bought it. Gonna try it out soon.

Thanks.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Lots of Vallejo Matt and Satin here! ;D ;D

I'll be stocking up on several things at CAMS - bring lots of sanding sticks! - and Tamiya thin.

Guys, i need your help. How do you airbrush this stuff:
val_510_1.jpg

Whenever i try to spray it it ends up all grainy and not shiny at all... What pressure do you use and do you thin it or use it from the bottle?

Also, how do you spray Future/Klear/Pronto? I had even less luck spraying that stuff than vallejo...

Wanted to start gloss coating P-40 today and luckily i tried it on scrap piece first. I almost ruined the model...
Cheers!

I dont use the Vallejo myself Flipflop ,But I do use Klear/Future all the time . It doesnt need thinned ,just pour and shoot .I keep my pressure about 15-18 psi and hold the AB away from the model ,spray on using light coats giving a few minutes between coats . ....Never had a problem with it :)

Chris.

FlipFlop said:
Guys, i need your help. How do you airbrush this stuff:
val_510_1.jpg

Whenever i try to spray it it ends up all grainy and not shiny at all... What pressure do you use and do you thin it or use it from the bottle?

Also, how do you spray Future/Klear/Pronto? I had even less luck spraying that stuff than vallejo...

Wanted to start gloss coating P-40 today and luckily i tried it on scrap piece first. I almost ruined the model...
Cheers!

Drop in your airbrush and go, but use a higher pressure that you would normally. Like 25-30lbs. This goes for also the Matt and Satin varnishes as well.

I'll try both on some scrap piece using your advices. Future is definitely more practical because it's cheaper. Anyway, thanks for your help. ;) ;)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back