Geschutzwagon 38t Ausf M "Grille" - destroyed

ROB ,

I agree !! Awesome lookin work !! They really look as if they've been through a fire !! Great Job !

Thanks fellas, sorry for the late reply. Here is where she stands with some interior painting started.

interiorpaint018.jpg

interiorpaint019.jpg

interiorpaint021.jpg

Scratchmod

www.scratchmod.com

"Attempt Figures" They'll need to be wearing a suit of armor for the rust to look real you know. ;D

This I got to see 8)
Tony lee

Aw ...SNAP !!!

Lookin Great !! I love th fact that you "busted" the side of the Panzer wide open. It's really gonna make it look like it was in th "heat of battle" !! Although with th ruptured side like that I would expect some more damage to th Tranny. ??? Unless it's just intense heat that buckled th side ? Regardless .... Awesome Buddy !! ;D ;)

Hiya fellas, sorry for the VERY late reply. Haven't been doing much at the bench as of late.

Erik, yes and no. You have to remember that the hull was only about 10mm thick, and it was of rivet and N&B construction. The force of an explosion or even a round richocheting will "pop" toe rivets. There are some accounts from DAK tankers early in the Afrika campaign telling of getting hits on the armor that did not penetrate....but it did pop rivets and bolts that were just as lethal. Many a tankers were injured in these cases, some severely.

Up date coming soon gents.

scratchmod

Man ...I love it.
Makes me want to go back and finish the Russian T-60 that I started a while ago and is just sitting on the shelf.

DXM said:
Man ...I love it.
Makes me want to go back and finish the Russian T-60 that I started a while ago and is just sitting on the shelf.

you have your Mentor right here.... I'm sure you can learn all the tricks and apply them to your
Blown out T-62... would be sweet to have you pick up a new talent ! hey ?

Just a quick update on this, not much time to work on this as I've been playing around with new AK products.

test003.jpg

test004.jpg

Some of the new AK products are for PG vehicles, did some testing on an old turret.

AKpics020.jpg

A how to can be found on my site/forum

Cheers
scratchmod

www.scratchmod.com

I got to your site and try to understand the layering or colours, using Hair Spray as a Dissolving Barrier, Salt chipping techniques and all... and I am at a LOSS !!!

LOL

You make it look easy and it might be ??? but my brain can't get it !!! I'm having a "DOH" moment !!

Your stuff is so... Multilayered and in depth ! is there an Easy.. one or two step... Entry level
rust or HS chipping effect that can be explained... or demonstrated ??

I know there is many videos on line.. but even the Removal of the salt layer or HS protected layers... I am sometime expecting a certain colour to show up after a step... in your WIP's but instead I see a DARKER shade and you have added pigments in the HS or just after to do...what ? add some sort of pebbly texture ???

I know I am getting all wrapped up about this... ART ! you have developed and are managing so well...
So well it is... screaming at me to TRY it... I luv it !!! but at the same time.... to what extent I want to take it ??? a vehicle still in use ? or a DEAD Soul Still rusting after 60+ years... ?

Very intimidating and Alluring at the same time.... its like the Blue Light for night bugs...
oooh the light !!! but i'm affraid to get burt ! LOL

sorry for the long winded Call for help on demystifying your art of destruction...

Norm..thanks for visiting my site, and for the kind words.

Lots of questions to try and answer!! As with weathering a vehicle, rust weathering is all a matter of layering to achieve various effects. You also have to remember that a certain technique isn't always the right tech to use for certain effects. If you notice my models are all done differently, depending on what and how the vehicle is to be ie: 60 year old rust bucket versus a recent wreck or burnout. The materials and techniques vary on what effects your after.
There are many ways to replicate rust, and everyone has his own method, or preference. I am merely showing/sharing some of the ways I do things and this does not mean it has to be done this way. The most important thing is to be able to envision how and what effects you want to replicate, and the most important thing is to have FULL control over the paints and weathering products. You have to use the paints the way YOU want. By this I mean that because a certain product is meant for one thing only does not mean you have to use it only that one way. Learning how to use products different ways, and mixing products and techniques is very important.
The one thing to do before you even start a build or painting is to visualize how you want it to look...then paint and weather it in your head. You'll see that you will come up with ways of painting and mixing things in your head, makes the actual painting of the model easier. Yes we all do that already in terms of the color of paints and the order in which it'll be painted then weathered. It could just be me that does it this way... and when it comes time to weather the model I already know what to do and how it will look. Kind of hard to explain.
When you know what exactly your going to build and paint, contact me and we can go over some ideas for techniques and effects that will fit the model.
If you go on my forum, you'll see some of my models and from others who use diff techniques on rusty vehicles.
http://myforum.scratchmod.com/user/Discussions.aspx?id=260289
I also have some videos that might help.Look under ....mrscratchmod...on youtube

Hope any of this made sense, or helped.

Cheers
Rob

www.scratchmod.com

I will for sure.... watch and learn ... Youtube Vids for starter... and maybe find a Good candidate kit
or Kit parts... to start on ! I will keep in mind to contact you ... once I am Ready to go BIG ! LOL

Thanks for taking time to answer my Multitude of questions !

Latest posts

Back