Panzer 38T....Rebased.

Phil57

I did this Tamiya Panzer 38T about 12 months ago. It was actually my first project when I decided to start making model tanks again. Overall, I was happy with how the actual model turned out, but over time I started to view the base I made for it as not very good. So, I decided to remake the base for this model and here is the finished project. Nothing flash, just a simple vignette featuring the tank in some long marsh grass which has dried up during the summer in Russia 1942.

Phil

Attachments

• _DSC3411-2.jpg
    _DSC3411-2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 15
  • _DSC3412.jpg
    _DSC3412.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 16
  • _DSC3413.jpg
    _DSC3413.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC3414.jpg
    _DSC3414.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 15
I did this Tamiya Panzer 38T about 12 months ago. It was actually my first project when I decided to start making model tanks again. Overall, I was happy with how the actual model turned out, but over time I started to view the base I made for it as not very good. So, I decided to remake the base for this model and here is the finished project. Nothing flash, just a simple vignette featuring the tank in some long marsh grass which has dried up during the summer in Russia 1942.

Phil
Phil, well worth the effort. It looks really good . Loving the long dried grass, what did you use for it?
Pantherman

Phil
Very nice, Phil. I like how he's just mowing down everything in his path.
Was the grass tedious? It looks great!

Gary

Thanks guys for the comments. The grass is cut off clumbs of a cheap nylon broom. It was an old broom just sitting in my shed so no harm done and the wife none the wiser. Yes it was tedious and time consuming. What I did was push holes in the foam base with a pencil, filled the holes with white glue and then started cutting off the clumbs of nylon from the boom and slotting them into the holes I had made. Simple yes, but I had to do a small area at a time until the glue dried as it was falling out whenever I touched it. When I finished it I thought now how do I paint the grey colored nylon strands not to mention the bright blue foam base? Really that wasn't all that hard and the airbrush did the trick nicely.
I have always wanted to do a tank in long grass and whilst I am sure you can buy better looking grass on line, the trouble is you have to spend quite a bit of money buying an electro static applicator to make the grass stand up and I wasn't prepared to go to that expense. Plus, I wasn't entirely convinced the applicators work all that well on really long grass/reeds. Hope this helps.

Phil

Thanks guys for the comments. The grass is cut off clumbs of a cheap nylon broom. It was an old broom just sitting in my shed so no harm done and the wife none the wiser. Yes it was tedious and time consuming. What I did was push holes in the foam base with a pencil, filled the holes with white glue and then started cutting off the clumbs of nylon from the boom and slotting them into the holes I had made. Simple yes, but I had to do a small area at a time until the glue dried as it was falling out whenever I touched it. When I finished it I thought now how do I paint the grey colored nylon strands not to mention the bright blue foam base? Really that wasn't all that hard and the airbrush did the trick nicely.
I have always wanted to do a tank in long grass and whilst I am sure you can buy better looking grass on line, the trouble is you have to spend quite a bit of money buying an electro static applicator to make the grass stand up and I wasn't prepared to go to that expense. Plus, I wasn't entirely convinced the applicators work all that well on really long grass/reeds. Hope this helps.

Phil
I like the dedication and recycling. Definitely going to try that method soon. Hope my attempt comes out as good as yours.
Pantherman

I like the dedication and recycling. Definitely going to try that method soon. Hope my attempt comes out as good as yours.
Pantherman
I am sure it will mate. Just keep it small and try a circular or kidney shaped base around your vehicle to avoid dead ground. That base around the 38t only just fits the tank lengthwise and at the most it would be just shy of two inches on either side. Not big and thus easy to fill.

Phil

Latest posts

Back