filling small voids in resin

Grendels

Does anyone have any tips on filling small or micro voids in resin? The model I am working on is covered with them. I was using squadron's white, but it seems to work best with medium voids. The small ones just won't fill with it. (Yes I know some of you have problems with squadron's I don't, so I use it. Go look at my build of the thunderchild on my technique.) These voids are the size of pin heads, to needle points. I am too uptight to just let the go.......,.

I like squadrons because it dries softer than the resin. So when I sand, I remove mainly squadrons and not the resin of the model itself.

I tried using CA, while this will fill the voids, it dries harder than the resin, so sanding takes off resin and CA at the same time. The only way I got the CA to work was with a file, and that scored the surface of the resin. Which required more sanding to get smooth again.

I am just looking for something better than CA. I thought about just globing paint on it, waiting for it to cure completely and then sanding smooth. My problem with that is in the past I have come across some really nasty curing paint. It cured so hard that sanding didn't dent it much. And when it did, the paint cracked and chipped off.

Give MR surfacer 1000 a try for the small airbubbles, The really tiny ones can be filled with a good brush on primer.

Jeep said:
Give MR surfacer 1000 a try for the small airbubbles, The really tiny ones can be filled with a good brush on primer.

Where do you find this? I have seen it on eBay, but I would like to find it from a hobby shop if possible.

Thank you for the replies. I did fill all of them with CA, I am just looking for a better option for the future. I have more resin kits in my build pile.

Grendels said:
Jeep said:

Where do you find this? I have seen it on eBay, but I would like to find it from a hobby shop if possible.

Thank you for the replies. I did fill all of them with CA, I am just looking for a better option for the future. I have more resin kits in my build pile.

I have Mr. Surfacer 1000 instock, and have the Mr. Surfacer 500, as well as the 500, and 1000 spray primer coming probably Monday.

Fill the hole with thin CA ( Super ) Glue and sprinkle baking soda on to the CA.
There will be a reaction and the CA turns solid. What awhile and you can sand the CA smooth.

Elm City: Thank you for the info. I will take a look and if shipping isn't too killer, I will place an order.

They usually have them stocked over at Spruebrothers.com but the often run out of 1000 I think. But they stock em back up pretty quick.

Mr. Surfacer 500 is perfect for this; paint it on and then sand it smooth. If you have alot of surface detail that you don't want to lose you can always thin Mr. Surfacer with laquer thinner and airbrush a few coats. Finish it off with Mr. Surfacer 1000.

Latest posts

Back