Equipping The Paint Room

Munchiezzz

Im in the market for an Airbrush. I'm not looking to do anything really detailed. My main objectives are spraying Primer coat, Base coat, and Clear coat. Any details I would spray would be masked off and spayed such as body stripping, racing stripes and that sort of thing. As for type of paint i will be using, im still researching but im thinking acrylic sounds about the best to use overall. With that said I'm not looking for the best of the best. I was really tempted to just use rattle cans but i think an Airbrush would probably be a better option. I want something that will:
-Spray evenly
-Give a nice final look
-Easy to clean

For a compressor I'm between:
Master Airbrush Cool Runner II Dual Fan Tank Air Compressor
VIVOHOME Professional Air Compressor

I am up for considering another compressor if there's a better or more reliable option.

As for Airbrushes these are the ones I'm currently looking into:
Iwata Eclipse HP-CS (about $120)
Paasche Talon TG-3F (about $100)
Iwata Media Revolution CR (about $85)
Badger Patriot 105 (about $90)
Master Airbrush (comes with the Master compressor)

As with the compressor, I'm up for considering other airbrush options if there's something that better suits me. I very much look forward to the input everyone has as I will be purchasing my new Airbrush setup in about 2 weeks. I can't wait to take pictures and get started and share my journey with everyone. Thanks everyone for your help and kindness.

You're going to get as many different answers as there are respondents . ;)

I have a Talon and a Patriot but use the Talon 99% of the time .
There are good deals on Amazon for the whole kit with the 3 needle sizes and a fan air-cap .

There are good deals on Amazon for the whole kit with the 3 needle sizes and a fan air-cap .
I can only share what I use and I have no complaints.

Airbrush-Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed. $170

Compressor-Master Airbrush 1/5 HP Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Compressor Kit Model TC-320 - Professional Single-Piston with 2 Cooling Fans, Longer Running Time Without Overheating - Regulator Water Trap, Holder. $89

Booth-CO-Z Airbrush Spray Booth with 141 CFM Exhaust Fan, Portable Paint Spray Booth for Airbrushing with 3 LED Lights, Turntable and Extension Hose, Airbrush Spray Booth Kit for Painting Model Craft Hobby. $107

Last edited:
I can only share what I use and I have no complaints.

Airbrush-Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed. $170

Compressor-Master Airbrush 1/5 HP Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Compressor Kit Model TC-320 - Professional Single-Piston with 2 Cooling Fans, Longer Running Time Without Overheating - Regulator Water Trap, Holder. $89

Booth-CO-Z Airbrush Spray Booth with 141 CFM Exhaust Fan, Portable Paint Spray Booth for Airbrushing with 3 LED Lights, Turntable and Extension Hose, Airbrush Spray Booth Kit for Painting Model Craft Hobby. $107
What would be the recommended needle size for my needs?
Primer, Base, Clear?

What would be the recommended needle size for my needs?
Primer, Base, Clear?
I use a .35mm needle for pretty much everything.
I recommend watching this video on airbrushing. It’s a long video but has a lot of information in it.

Last edited:

Very true. I have 3…

Paasche H single action - my workhorse AB I use almost exclusively

Brand new but yet have had a chance to use them.
Iwata Neo
Sotar

I've got 2, a Paasche VL, and an Iwata Neo.
I got the Neo second-hand and haven't used it yet.
I like my Paasche VL, it's a double-action, though I use it mostly as a single-action brush. It's rugged and reliable. The only thing I don't like very much is that it's a siphon-fed brush, and the cup is in the way of a comfortable grip for me. I want to hold the brush like a pen, but the cup is in the way. Doesn't make it unusable, but it's a minor nuisance.
The Neo is a gravity-fed brush, cup on top and in line with the aperture. So it's not in the way of holding the brush.
I should be able to get some finer lines with the Neo than I can with the Paasche, but till I get it set up, I won't know for sure.

I picked up an airbrush kit from Harbor Freight to get started on! The whole kit was $99. There was a kit for $89 but it had a siphon style airbrush. I wanted to learn on the gravity feed brush that was included with the $99 kit.

The quality or brand of compressor isn't too much of a concern. The key is that you make sure you have a pressure regulator and a moisture trap. And the moisture trap should not be mounted right on the compressor. It should be down the line, near your airbrush. Or they sell small moisture traps that physically attach to the airbrush. I use that style.

As for the airbrush, like others have said, everyone is going to have a different opinion. But here are some uiniversal things that can affect what you should buy.

You mention airbrushing your primers. If you use any sort of filler primer, then you should get an airbrush with a larger needle. like a 0.5mm needle. The larger needle will work better with thicker media.

I use an airbrush with a 0.5mm needle because I use high build primers sometimes. And I frequently shoot metallic paints, and sometimes I even shoot true metal flakes. So I need the larger needle.

Then you mention that you want easy to clean.

If you want easy to clean I highly suggest getting an airbrush with a floating needle seat. This eliminates nearly all offerings from Paasche and Badger, and some of the airbrushes from Iwata and Harder and Steenbeck.

The only airbrushes I know of with a floating seat are the Badger Patriot 105, the Iwata Eclipse, and the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution. There might be others, but these are the ones I know of.

You want the floating needle seat because it can be removed without tools, and it is larger and easier to clean that the other styles.

Another thing you want to avoid if you want easy to clean is you do not want a siphon feed. The easiest airbrushes to clean are gravity feed.

I have tried all kinds of different airbrushes and I ended up with an Eclipse. I don't know where you found one for $120. They are $160 or more. But in my mind they work best for me. They are reliable, parts are easy to get if you need them, and they are easy to clean. If you want the same floating needle seat design as the Iwata Eclipse, but you want to spend less money, I'd look at the Badger Patriot 105.

I feel your pain myself, I'm just began collecting what I've seem on U tube to be a basic starter kit. From shooting friend I bought a compressor with thank $60.00, said the airbrush was junk. Then I new airbrush about $50.00 with 3 needles gravity feed, seems fine to learn on all I've done is some spoons so far.I have trouble using the button trigger for control of paint , Iwata side cup an I 'll give it a try later, but I do like the sight pic better, that was $120 I think, the last model I built I was 10 or11 so it's sure has changed a lot form about $1.50 for all paint an glue. an model, to $ 230.00 an no model, hope it works out OK.

I feel your pain myself, I'm just began collecting what I've seem on U tube to be a basic starter kit. From shooting friend I bought a compressor with thank $60.00, said the airbrush was junk. Then I new airbrush about $50.00 with 3 needles gravity feed, seems fine to learn on all I've done is some spoons so far.I have trouble using the button trigger for control of paint , Iwata side cup an I 'll give it a try later, but I do like the sight pic better, that was $120 I think, the last model I built I was 10 or11 so it's sure has changed a lot form about $1.50 for all paint an glue. an model, to $ 230.00 an no model, hope it works out OK.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I found it better to buy cheaper equipment to start with until I got better at using it.

2 years later I am still using the 2 £20 airbrush kits I bought on amazon and they still work pretty well. It has been good practice to keep stripping them down every month for a proper clean.

I tend to buy a couple of paint pots with every new build and it really doesn't take long to build up a collection. Try sticking with a preferred topic, I mainly do German armour. Each build tends to use the same paint so only a couple of extra one's needed each time. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back