Decanting Spray paint

Ferris928

Hey! Since I couldn't find a post on Decanting Spray paint, I thought I'd post my first foray into it.
I'm currently working on a Revell 1/48 P-38J Lightning in Aluminum and needed a good paint to put down. One of the guys at the LHS suggested decanting some Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminum spray-paint and spraying it through my AB.
I've seen others do it and have good results, I've always been worried about it painting 'me' instead of getting in the bottle. So I figured 'what the heck.'
These are the vids I watched on Youtube.
-----
Decanting Spray Paint - Part One
Decanting Spray Paint - Part One
Decanting Spray Paint - Part Two
Decanting Spray Paint - Part Two
-----
I didn't use any tack, I just taped the nozzle up pretty well.

Since I knew it would expand in the bottle, I used three.

Not too bad of a job. :)

After over an hour of de-gassing.

I poured the 2 smaller bottles into the large bottle and set it outside for about another 2-3 hours with the occasional stir to help get the gas out.

Finished.

This should last me quite a while (I hope). I also placed a note on the other side of the bottle to remind myself to "open slowly" just in case. Most of the gas was gone, but after closing it and shaking it up 'a little,' and opening it SLOWLY, I heard a bit of a hiss. I did this a few time and the hiss got less and less. I'm not up to any exterior painting on the kit yet, it'll be a few more days. I'll update then.
Thanks for checking it out!
Cheers!

Me and cans have a Hate - Hate relationship. :)
i should be getting to using it in the next few days.

Heh heh, when I saw this thread in the list, I immediately thought of Brett Green's video, from Hyperscale. That's the YouTube vid you posted ;D

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious to see how it comes out for you.

the Baron said:
Heh heh, when I saw this thread in the list, I immediately thought of Brett Green's video, from Hyperscale. That's the YouTube vid you posted ;D

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious to see how it comes out for you.

There are a few other ones on Youtube, but Bret's are the best (I think), the others were doing it kind of half-@$$ in my humble opinion (like doing it inside the house) and Bret went into better explination of what, why and how...
The paint that got on me was from removing the cling wrap from the bottle. The 'spray' process was very clean (on me anyways). But this should be done outside or a VERY ventalated room.
Cheers!

dasboote34 said:
Wait till you see how well that sprays in the a.b! You may never go back to using the can ;D

I must agree ,I use decanted paint quite often and it sprays perfectly ,but that again comes back to your paint being thin enough . However ,you will like the way it sprays :) ,As long as you give it at least overnight to gas out its good stuff .

Chris.

I have always done mine in the house, but always had lots of newspaper around, open window to my right for ventilation.

I do mind a bit different, I use modeling clay to adhere the straw to the nozzle, and I use masking tape on top of the bottle, 2 strips, leaving a section where the 2 strips meet to allow the straw through.

Another method I have seen is to actually take and drill out the nozzle, and CA a piece of brass tube in place, and then just use the same nozzle on each can you use, cleaning it out in between of course.

I just think this is a win win situation for anyone that doesn't have paint thinning down to an art which I'm having trouble doing. It seems one time I get it perfect then the next its way off. I think I'll keep trying to thin the paint as its part of learning the process and getting it right. If I find a paint that I really like then maybe Ill decant, I don't know. I'm a big fan of decanting though. It seems that every can of paint I have decanted to this point has been spot on with no thinning required.

@hooterville75: Keep working on the thinning. I've had an AB for many years and every once in a while I don't mix it right and gotta start over. :)
@Elm: Thanks for mentioning the way you do it and that other one. :)

Well, I finally got to using it. it came out great. The only bad thing would be my surface prep, but as for the process, it's wonderful. I probably should've done what Chris does, give it a night to de-gas. It stunk a bit, but laid down really nice. even going over it a few times, no noticeable thickening of the paint.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I think I will definitely try this again.
Thanks for checking it out.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back