DECAL HELP required.

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
ok so i found out from someone, that instead of using Decal Bonder Spray i can use clear paint for adhering the printer ink to the decal sheet, does this mean any clear coat paint, Enamel? Acrylic? beacuse here in the redneck boondocks i don't have much selection, i am very limited.

The decal spray that comes in the Testors Decal kit, is just Testors Lacquer Clear Gloss.

You could probably get away with an Enamel as well, I have only used the Lacquer myself. And only after I had the bright idea of using Future on the first decals I did. Well Future and water don't mix...in that water dissolves Future, and the ink from the printer that the decal is made out of. Soon as it hit the water, the ink started to run, and in about 10mins you couldn't tell there was a decal ever on the paper.

Print out another, give it a shot of Lacquer Clear, let dry, and worked like a charm.

Elm City Hobbies said:
The decal spray that comes in the Testors Decal kit, is just Testors Lacquer Clear Gloss.

You could probably get away with an Enamel as well, I have only used the Lacquer myself. And only after I had the bright idea of using Future on the first decals I did. Well Future and water don't mix...in that water dissolves Future, and the ink from the printer that the decal is made out of. Soon as it hit the water, the ink started to run, and in about 10mins you couldn't tell there was a decal ever on the paper.

Print out another, give it a shot of Lacquer Clear, let dry, and worked like a charm.

roger that, i got some Enamil clear, if that does not work on the way to my grandpas i will pick up a can of laquer clear! thank you for the tip!

I have been using an enamel paint. It is a rustoleum product. Works fine. I think the key here is to use something that is NOT water soluble.

13aceofspades13 said:
ok so i found out from someone, that instead of using Decal Bonder Spray i can use clear paint for adhering the printer ink to the decal sheet, does this mean any clear coat paint, Enamel? Acrylic? beacuse here in the redneck boondocks i don't have much selection, i am very limited.

I just use Krylon type of coating. Spray a light coat on it. Don't build up a big layer or your decal will curl when you try to apply it on the model.

DreamKnight said:
I just use Krylon type of coating. Spray a light coat on it. Don't build up a big layer or your decal will curl when you try to apply it on the model.
DEFINITELY heed this. I seem to always overdo it. Lost a Reliant aztec pattern because of it

i now have 2 Airplanes with Decals on them, one is complete, (has been actually just getting upgrades) and one is in the process of being painted and stuff and is waiting on a new canopy, and im thinking of also upgrading my Grandpas Corsair for him that i made him for his birthday.

i can finally get some good decals on that thing now, when i made the USMC F4U-4C, i originally wanted a Decal of the USMC Emblem but had no way of obtaining it, now i can make it, and now that i have some experience and better tools i can make the corsair look even better! im thinking of making a corsair that is more compatible with the rest of your guys planes, i just wish that Tamiya made a F4U-4C so i could make a replica of my grandpas for myself with closed landing gears, the Tamiya Corsair kit looks so much better than the Revell, the thing is the Tamiya 1/48th scale corsair is a F4U-1D and what i want is a F4U-4.

I dont use any Spray, just the Decals. After deploying I covered them with Clear Varnish

Chiefpettyofficer said:
I dont use any Spray, just the Decals. After deploying I covered them with Clear Varnish

Chief,

Homemade decals done on an ink jet printer you have to coat with something, otherwise the water soluble ink from the printer will dissolve once it hits the water.

Decal spray like what you get in the Testors decal kit is just a clear lacquer, so I would assume that any clear lacquer or enamel would work fine.

Ah, I use a Laser Printer, thats maybe the difference. Its a HP Laser-Colour Printer. There are special decal-sheets for use with Laser Printers. I deployed my decals on the futuristic Messerschmitt. That works without any Sprays etc.

That works because a laser printer actually fuses the material to the surface of the paper.
Inkjet decals can be just washed off without a sealer coat

Quaralane said:
That works because a laser printer actually fuses the material to the surface of the paper.
Inkjet decals can be just washed off without a sealer coat

forever i was trying to figure out why myself.

Quaralane said:
DreamKnight said:
DEFINITELY heed this. I seem to always overdo it. Lost a Reliant aztec pattern because of it

Quoted for truth!, clear coats are sensitive to humidity, that is what made my Shervick tractor build turn into a frosted flake!

i have had no issues with putting too much Lacquer on my decals, probably beacuse i spray just one good layer over the top and thats good enough for me.

I believe the blushing is caused by humidity,, It's happened to me, our humidity is horrible in the summer.
so I switched to acrylic varnishes

Latest posts

Back