decal help

GCB

Hi,
Being new to the forum I may be posting in the wrong place, however, need help with decals.
Before setting them, I use a gloss varnish (Mr Hobby Spray), however I still have silvering and cannot get rig of those... and if not silvering, the decal is too obvious.
How do you manage to sort out these issues??
Thanks

Attachments

• F16 - Decal issues.jpg
    F16 - Decal issues.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 5
  • F16 Side detail decal - RS.jpg
    F16 Side detail decal - RS.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 5
This post is OK here , but better posted to " Painting , Decals & Weathering ... " so it's easier to find in the future for people searching this topic .

I assume you are using a decal setting solution ?

Understood.. and yes, using Micro Set/Sol..
Once i tried Tamiya decal adhesive on the surface before setting the decal, but there were traces around the decal I could not get rid of.

IDK , I've never had silvering with decals .
I'm convinced it's from crap decals , too much time soaking prior to application or some kind of contaminate upon the substrate that acts as a bond breaker .
I never gloss coat prior to decal application .

But standby , :D , others here should have some input .

I never clear coat prior to applying the decals. I will apply a coat of matte clear after decals are on. I also use Micro Sol/Set.
I have had one issue with silvering and I believe it was a bad decal. It seems, (from what I have read), that the bigger the decal the more chance of silvering.
My train of thought is wetter is better when applying decals and then air dry.

Attachments

• CH-53G.jpg
    CH-53G.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 3
We you have carried out all the methods known to man.

However sometimes things go wrong.

First. Just wonder how smooth your paint is under the varnish. To get the best results as smooth as possible.

Second. How thick are the decals.

Third. I will be surprised if this does not cure it. Use it on all my decals now.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/e...dium-version-daco-products-dcpr01b-47357.html

I use the strong type. If you have a decal which goes around protruding or un flat parts it will also do the job. I am not exaggerating as I have had superb results & have been amazed.

Laurie

We you have carried out all the methods known to man.

However sometimes things go wrong.

First. Just wonder how smooth your paint is under the varnish. To get the best results as smooth as possible.

Second. How thick are the decals.

Third. I will be surprised if this does not cure it. Use it on all my decals now.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/e...dium-version-daco-products-dcpr01b-47357.html

I use the strong type. If you have a decal which goes around protruding or un flat parts it will also do the job. I am not exaggerating as I have had superb results & have been amazed.

Laurie
This is a better description from the makers.

https://www.dacoproducts.com/

click on Deco Products then decal setting & gives a full blurb.

Laurie

If you are concerned about tap water you could always try distilled. Easy enough to let you know if the water is an issue.

Latest posts

Back