[COMPLETED] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

Re: [WIP] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

I agree with dreamnight,it might look a little wrong to you at the moment but weathering can make a hell of a difference to a build. :)

schweinhund227, thank you for the critique, I do appreciate it , no worries. I've been building models continuously since 1990, aircraft and Ferraris are definitely my comfort zones, but this LAV is the very first piece of Armor I have ever tried. I am definitely learning as I go along. Years ago, I read Enzo Ferrari's biography. At one paint he said how he felt about winning a race or not winning. He said he prefers to lose a race because if he wins a race, there was nothing new to learn (or no mistakes to learn from).

I used the kit painting guide as a reference to do the freehand camo. Trumpeter seems to like the full color variety, and although they look pretty, their artwork usually includes shadows that unfortunately hide some of the demarcation lines. especially under the wheel wells and the lower front end, so much guess work was need paint the lower hull. Also, it looks like they got the pattern wrong on the rear
bulkhead as the paint on the edges does not seem to match the paint on the sides of the aft fuselage. I noticed this too late so I had to try and modify the pattern to make it all fit. That would explain why the brown is so heavy towards the back. I came across a line art drawing of the LAV-25 at another forum that I may print off and use as a guide to touch this one up.

Now someone at ARC also suggested I do some dot filtering as part of my weathering. What are your thoughts on that?

10066712t2.jpg

I should have bit my tongue before writing my last post but.... You have lots of
Info pouring in... The new color template shows you are on the right track! So
Disregard my last post...

Spot filtering is a neat trick but not everybody's cup of tea! Fine scale modeler magazine had a great
Article.... About it! Involves lots of small dabs of artist oil paints ( multi-colored ). You might be able
To find it on their website.

Now, where did I put that gag ball? LoL

If I may chime in here,

I can't recall any camo scheme I have ever airbrushed perfectly the first go 'round, I always have to do some touch up with the base color to tweak the balance to my satisfaction, so IMO I think you are right on track here. If this were my build I would load up the airbrush with that green again, tweak some of the areas (like the back mentioned) and then I would lay a fine mist of that green over the whole model. This will tone down and soften the bright colors a bit. Just don't lay it on thick, you only need a very thin, fine mist.

I always start with light colors, as adding weathering will always darken it a good deal. If you followed my command car for the contest you would have seen the very light green color at the beginning, which got darker and darker as the build progressed. Even the Future coat alone for the decals darkened the base color a great deal.

Filters are a good idea as well, whether you use the 'dot' filter method or simply thinned colors applied in patches, both of which can be used to create different effects and both will alter the colors. (as will washes, pigments, and any other effect you add). I'm not a huge fan of the typical dot filter approach seen around the web as I prefer being more precise with my colors placement and most of the times I see the random dot thing done, it all gets mixed up into one slushy color wash. Personally, I like to apply the different colors separately as it gives me more control but in the end, it's all up to you.

Looking great. Lots of videos on applying filters on youTube.

Scan_Pic0040-vi.jpg

That is the one for the LAV-C2 I did. I basically painted it green, drew out the pattern for the brown with a pencil and filled in with NATO Brown (actually I think Vallejo Air Tank Brown), and then once that was dry, drew out the pattern for the black with a pencil and filled (Vallejo Air Black Grey). I actually mis-labeled one of the black panels. When I drew them out, I put a B in the center of the panel so I would know which to fill in...and missed one....well...actually filled in the panel beside it. Pencil lead doesn't come off of a matt finish very easily, but the beauty of armor is it ends up being weathered to the point that usually you can't see it anyway in the end, and if you do...then some strategically placed mud, or a pack will hide it. Lets see you do that on a Natural metal aircraft finish!! LOL.

Point being, I think the different models of the LAV, while having a similar pattern, I think the pattern is different. The LAV-AT and LAV-C2 are similar, but different, as would be the straight LAV25. I am sure if I looked at the LAV-AD I have here, it would again be a similar, but actually different pattern.

As far as tying the colors together, what SMM says will work, just make sure you thin your green out about 15-20 to 1 thinner to paint, you want it really thin. Essentially what you are doing is a filter coat, just applying it via airbrush as opposed to using something like the Mig Filters, or dot filter method. Same principle as using a highly thinned Buff or Deck Tan to represent a layer of dust overall the vehicle.

Its hard to tell in some images, but photos of the real vehicle and the Trumpeter markings sheet are actually very close.

DSC00062_LAV-AT.JPG

LAV-AT_00.jpg

Nice to see all those pictures flying out !!! :p

That will come real handy in helping the fine tuning....

but as a Radio Tech... I would kill those guys for Bending the Antenna mount springs that far ! LOL
it's much easier to unscrew the whips vs... getting one in the head if the retainer gets loose ! 45deg. max.
The small coax cable inside is too short to allow such extremes... Only if they knew ???

Enough shop talk ! Back to painting by numbers now !!! LOL

Elm City Hobbies said:
Biggest thing about these vehicles, is they aren't painted by hand anymore. They are all painted by robots, operating off of a software program, so all the vehicles when painted NATO 3 tone come out the exactly the same. And for a USMC LAV-AT, he has it spot on, save for a little too much brown on the 2 back corners, but that is neither here or there.

AH! But but... what if his vehicle was the one that got hand painted before the robots came in? Or maybe it as hand paint the day they forgot to pay the electric bill?

OR OR! WHAT IF... that day, the A.I. in the software came alive that day and all the paint got messed up and Mathew Brodwick had to come in and fix it by taking it down with a simple game of Tic Tac Toe?

Would... you... like... to... play a... game... of Chess?

Carsenault said:
Now someone at ARC also suggested I do some dot filtering as part of my weathering. What are your thoughts on that?

I'd say yes just for the fact you never done it before it and it's worth a try to at least learn it and see if it works for you. :) Here's a great vid on it from Medic.

Weathering olive drab - part 2: oils in layers

DreamKnight said:
Carsenault said:

I'd say yes just for the fact you never done it before it and it's worth a try to at least learn it and see if it works for you. :) Here's a great vid on it from Medic.

Weathering olive drab - part 2: oils in layers

That's not really the 'dot' technique though, that's more like the way I prefer to do it. Jon applies the colors he wants in layers, separated by another sealing coat of gloss. He has more control over each color by doing it in layers.

The 'dot' technique is more along the lines of applying all of the colors in random dots at once and blending them all together.

Header002.jpg

ScaleModelMadman said:
That's not really the 'dot' technique though, that's more like the way I prefer to do it. Jon applies the colors he wants in layers, separated by another sealing coat of gloss. He has more control over each color by doing it in layers.

The 'dot' technique is more along the lines of applying all of the colors in random dots at once and blending them all together.

OH! Like this vid then? Towards the end?

Oil filters & point wash

DreamKnight said:
OH! Like this vid then? Towards the end?

Aye!

That's also a good example of why I'm not a fan of that method, there's not a whole lot of control as he just blends it all into one.

Chuck is a friend and fellow staffer at another forum and is an amazing artist as well as great modeler.

He explains the dot filter very well in that build ( also found here ).

8)

Yeah, I am no fan of the whole dot filter, or sometimes called Rainbow Filter, just personal preference, I find it tedious and monotonous.

I think this is why the Mig Raineffects was created....essentially, dust colored pigment particles suspended in a matt medium/varnish, put it on in streaks down your kit, and it builds up a layer of dust in the streaks. Something that can be done yourself with stuff you probably already have.

The dot filter does have a great effect, and looks great when done properly....just too tedious for me.

If you are handy with an airbrush, you can take about 20 parts thinner, and 1 part paint (buff, deck tan, etc), and actually spray on the fine vertical lines as well...takes a steady hand and a tiny spray pattern with the airbrush, but can be done. Ditto with the dirty, rusty streaks from bolt heads, take a brown and thin it out, again 20-1, and put streaks in under bolt heads. Better to over thin, and put multiple coats to build it up, than not thin enough and end up obliterating the paint and detail underneath.

Cool effects, thanks for the tips guys. Scott emailed me and gave me a few ideas also,that would be easier, I will try those first to see how it goes.

I am very familiar with Chuk W's work. He has the Me410 build showing at ARC also and its up to like 23 pages so far. He does do excellent work and his artwork is top notch too. Fritzi and Hanna have quite the following over there you know. Actually I suggested he start a comic book based on the characters from his build tread.

I think Blur keeps Chuck pretty busy right now, Fritzi and Hannah are just fun stuff to pass the time.

He does his artwork professionally for a lot of big name stuff. Check out his blog, you may recognize a few things:

http://chukw.blogspot.com/

I always thought it was cool to know there was a 'celebrity' building on the model forums, kinda like on FSM forums there's that guitar player from some glam metal band...

I got the main camo pattern tweaked a bit, looks better now, more balanced.

44981_463024144601_632169601_6497801_8094232_n.jpg

41004_463024189601_632169601_6497802_335492_n.jpg

46930_463024269601_632169601_6497805_7007755_n.jpg

44479_463024364601_632169601_6497806_585604_n.jpg

47800_463024864601_632169601_6497809_4576795_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back