[COMPLETED] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

Re: [WIP] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

I think I may have gone a little too far with the green filtering. Easy to get carried away with the filter coat. I was going along pretty good watching for tonal changes on the brown, I decided on one more coat, and when I stopped, this is what it looked like, my NATO black now looks like dark green. Looks worse in the photos that in reality. Wondering if I should just do a light mist coat of the Nato Black over the dark green to try and bring it back a notch, the rest looks fine. Or should I just let it go hoping the sand mist coat and weathering coming up soon will hide my sins?

46274_464521109601_632169601_6537069_8375803_n.jpg

46964_464521204601_632169601_6537081_4516554_n.jpg

I think I'd get the black back in there.

Looks fine to me, the black isn't really black anyway, more of a Black Grey with a hint of green depending on how you look at it.

The lav looks good! The turret look too pal now.... Maybe it's the flash?

NATO black is, or has a dark dark green hue. So you are fine..... Don't forget you will
Add soo much more to it.... Looking real fine now!

Out!

I agree black/grey after some time in the sun but that scheme is pretty black off the factory line or a fresh repaint. When we would get our new vehicles, deuces, 5 tons and humvees they would stick out like sore thumbs compared to the ones that had been in the elements for a couple of years. After that they fade a lot. You also get mismatched patches of paint where corrosion control is done.

I decided to touch it up a bit, I am much happier with it now, still a hint of green showing. Now Scott, my next step is the decals, should I clear coat the whole thing in Future, put the decals on, then more future then a mat coat or should I just apply the decals directly using the Future as a setting solution?

here is the touched up paint. Again, the camera flash is picking up a touch more of the green than the naked eye is seeing.

46741_464533364601_632169601_6537674_6071084_n.jpg

45241_464533469601_632169601_6537686_2967395_n.jpg

Carsenault said:
Now Scott, my next step is the decals, should I clear coat the whole thing in Future, put the decals on, then more future then a mat coat or should I just apply the decals directly using the Future as a setting solution?

Well, I know I'm not Scott but future/decals/future sounds good, however I wouldn't matte varnish until after your weathering.

Washes, oil paint filters, etc. behave better and are easier to manage on the gloss finish than on a flat finish. Once that is done you could cover it all with some matte varnish if that's what you want to do...

but that's just my input.

Ah yes, that makes sense, Thanks. I must be suffering from some brain fade this weekend., Im not sure why I didnt think about that before starting the filter coat.

For me, it depends on how many decals there are. If it is just a couple of bumper codes and maybe a vehicle name (I could dig mine out and look but too lazy!), I would just brush on some future in the spots that the decals are going to go on, slightly bigger than the decal, let dry, and decal as normal. Once the decals are dry, then future the whole thing and then move on to the washes.

As as rule, I will put a flat coat after the washes, and then do any dry brushing or paint chipping, and then pigments. I generally don't flat coat after pigments, but that is me. I don't like the effect that a matt coat has on the pigments. You get the kit looking good with dirt and dust, go do a matt coat, and it makes your weathering disappear. What I will do however, is a final dust coat of highly thinned out buff or deck tan (sometimes both) to give it the final light dusty look, with will also give you a final matt look because of the matt paint.

There isn't much for decals, the whole sheet is a bit smaller than a buisiness card, mostly just bumper numbers and maintenace stencils.

Take a close up picture or a Scan of your decal sheet! So we can tell you if they are alright!

Sometimes the color or background shade is wrong !

And we would be able to see what you are talking about...

Talk to you soon!

Nothing wrong with the decals really, they are just black text on clear backgrounds. Just wondering if it was worth clear coating the whole kit or not for just a handful of maintenance stencils. I probably will do the whiole thing anyways, as I have an aircraft kit that needs to be sealed up with Future.

many peoples here have different version on How to do weathering...

but sealing your Acrylics with a good Coat of FUTURE Floor polish will ensure you won't damage your
nice Camouflage coating !!!

you can .... scuff it, Oil it up and nothing will happen !!! well! that's the normal thinking behind it !

your oil wash will take place next I am sure.... You could double coat the future... to Encase your decals in there... that will make them look like they are part of the PAINT !!!

Some decals... years ago ! were supper thick !!! so a nice double coat of future kinda made them... vanish into the paint job !!!

Now a days.... decals are pretty much.. thin !!! Well it's not always the case SO !! if you see them while applying them... that they are of the THICK kind !!! then you can soften the BLOW by giving another coat of future....

Don't go too heavy on the future... if you end up with RUNS... they are the hardest to remove....
Windex works but you are talking... SOAKING TIME... so !!! take it easy...

Use your Nice Windex with Amonia to Clean your Nice Air Brush !!!!

Don't let Future cure in your Air Brush !!! many here paid the price to find out !!! Not a good thing !

The fact that your Decal sheet is based on a CLEAR background will alleviate a lot of frustration !

Cut your decals Close to the Graphics.... as per usual ! Leaving only the Minimum carrier film ! and Use a Nice Decal setting solution ! with matting agent built in ! it helps ! it's not mandatory but it sure helps prevent Silvering ! at this stage in the game you sure don't want Silvering !

since you are an Air Craft dude.... you know too well the danger of Silvering... it kinda ruin everything you worked so hard to achieve !

So far ! All I have to say ! is Bravo ! your model rocks and I am sure your weathering will make it shine !!!

Can't wait for more updates....

Norm

out !

Thanks Norm

I have 2 coats of Future on there now, gonna let it cure a few days before starting the decals. then another coat of Future after that to seal them in.

I don't use the good AB to do my Future coats, I use my old Badger 175 for that. My main airbrush is a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution with the fine nozzle and needle. Won it last May at a hobby show, it was donated as a prize by Elm City Hobbies. I love that airbrush, so much better control than the old badger.

I don't clear coat the whole armor models usually. I just do the areas where the decals will go. I matte coat the rest. On an aircraft, I usually coat the whole model with future for decals since there's a whole lotta decals usually and I do panel line washes for planes, after that I matte coat and weather with pigs/pastel. If I weather with oils I usually would usually use a future coat instead but I don't use oils washes or oil filters on planes.

Not much new to show on the LAV since the last update. 2 coats of Future, was still rough because of my paint job, still looking for that right paint/thinner ratio for close up work. I figure once i get the sand/dust filter coat on there it will look better. The Trumpeter decals were super thin, I lost one when it folded under itself. There were quite a few spelling errors on the decals, and a few errors and omissions on the placement sheet so I had to guess as to the correct placement for some. The ones I couldn't figure out were left off.
I've also started with the detail painting. I am off for 3 days starting Sunday so I should be able to get some serious work done. And if Hurricane Earl causes any problems with flooding near my work I may even get an early start to my long weekend. Cheers all.

We're getting ready to see what Earl does to us up here, the worst part IMO is that it's hitting over night. While we're tucked in bed safely, that tree could be crashing on the house...

:-\

The best thing about the future coat over the entire model is how easily it will be to work oil paints or pigment filters etc.

More times than not, I have removed my work from the surface and started over. Even after a day or two I have brought it right back to the future coat and tried again, you just can't fully do that over a flat coat. A matte finish has a tooth to it that grabs the oils and/or pigments and allows stains to set in for good, I know this because I used to work over a flat coat and I was a die hard 'anti-future' modeler, I also used to be an 'anti-acrylic' modeler. Now I swear by both.

In filming my last pigment video (part two, not yet posted) I applied the pigments over the matte finish, because I was just using an old crappy kit I have no intention on finishing and I was just doing it for a quick presentation. I couldn't believe what a struggle it was to remove and just shook my head at myself that I used to think it was just as easy...

The only downside of that is that pigments over future, requires a matt coat over the pigment so they don't fall/rub off.

Matt coat usually makes a good portion of the pigments disappear for one reason or another.

Pigment on a matt coat, and they usually aren't going anywhere.

Washes over a gloss coat....now that is good, eliminates the tide effect you get when putting washes over a matt coat, and easy to get the wash off a gloss coat if you do put too much.

So a good order.

Primer
Paint
Gloss
Decal
Gloss
Wash
Matt
Pigment
DONE!

Least what is mostly what I use for armor.

Secure the hatches, Earl is blowing through. Hoping we don't get much this far north, looks like Saint John and Moncton are going to bear the brunt of it here in NB. NS is going to get hammered.

Last I looked, Earl is going to be parked off of Cape Cod about 2am, landfall in NS (if it maintains it's course) about 8am. WE are leaving out of here at 2pm for a little vacation, hopefully the trek north to the border, and then down the 95 will get us out and around it.

Good info on the application order. It really helps to have stuff like this spelled out. I will follow this for my Willys this weekend.

Latest posts

Back