[COMPLETED] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

Carsenault

I wasnt gonna enter this in any gb but I found out this morning that the USMC LAV-ATs were deployed during ODS, I decided to enter this in this GB as well as the ODS GB at www.arcair.com. I won the kit off the door prize table at a hobby show last summer, not something I would normally build, but it looked different and interesting enough to want to try it out. I was really impressed with the kit when I opened it up. After talking to Scott from Elm City Hobbies about it I found out that Trumpeter was about to release a Canadian LAV-III kit. I bought that kit yesterday from Scott. Now I have never built any armor before so I was gonna use the LAV-AT as a practice run for the more complex and detailed LAV-III kit. When I found out about these being used in ODS I figured why not include it in the GB.

I started this last night and I was very pleased to see how smoothly everything went together. Without a cockpit to build, paint detail and fit before closing up the fuselage, this went together much faster than all the aircraft I am use to. I had the lower hull completed in no time so I decided to start the upper hull before calling quits for the night. Here's where I am at now.

LAV-AT003.jpg

LAV-AT002.jpg

LAV-AT001.jpg

Re: [WIP] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

Looking great Charlie.

It's really cool to see you (and others, myself included) taking on a new scale and genre. The only thing that can come of it is a good stretching of technique and ability. I really am looking forward to watching this one.

Looking great! Awesome choice!

Ferris828 said:
Looking great! Awesome choice!

I agree. Excellet choice for a vehicle. Sharp looking kit.

I finished the major assembly earlier tonight. I havent finished building a kit that fast in ages. Some time over the weekend Ill start painting and post a few more pics. This does look sharp.

Here's the latest batch of pics. I completed the upper hull yesterday after noon...

lav-at0012.jpg

lav-at0022.jpg

And the the turret and rear bulkhead last night, all is together now, fit isnt perfect, Ill have to fill a few gaps befpre I start painting. Great thing about armor, I dont have to make the gaps pretty. I had attached the rear bulkhead to the lower hull before attachinbg the upper hull. When I do the LAV-III, I'll jopin the hulls togetehr before putting on the bulkead.

lav-at0032.jpg

lav-at004.jpg

lav-at005.jpg

Damn, that's a smart looking kit. More more more!

I agree. This went together fast. Can't wait to see more.

Carsenault, you're just flying through. Looks great. The PE really adds to the fine details.

Very nice. What a cool kit. Strange seeing armor kit in gray plastic.

Now I know deep down you want to paint it metal flake red with pinstripping! ;D

Wow.... Just flying through with this....

Some kit just fall together nicely.... Good job!

I guess you will be hitting the paint booth soon!

I will be watching!

schweinhund227 said:
I guess you will be hitting the paint booth soon!

Yup, it hit the paint booth Friday night for some preshading, then the color coats started yesterday. I only have the Nato Green on it so far. Ill do the Nato Black and Brown today. Once all that is done Ill snap some piccies.

Is that a dark ale in the background? :)

sunsanvil said:
Is that a dark ale in the background? :)

Very observant. Although I like a good stout, that is simply my favorite drinking vessel with whats left of some of Capt Morgan's fine rum and some diet coke.

Got some paint on this one now, starting to look more menacing. Colors used were Model Master FS 34227, Tamiya Nato Black, and Gunze Wood Brown. I free handed the camo. Looking at the photos, I can see where I need some touchups. Ill do some post shading as well to fade the paint out a bit. The wheels look a bit funny in black, but once I get them dusted with sand, they should blend in a lot better.

Note, these pics are presently uploaded to facebook instead of photobucket. I cant upload to Photobucket from my mancave pc for some reason. When I get a chance, Ill get them uploaded using the main pc and switch the links here.

45560_462707859601_632169601_6490546_5530416_n.jpg

44818_462707899601_632169601_6490547_1113906_n.jpg

44818_462707904601_632169601_6490548_6382280_n.jpg

40415_462707959601_632169601_6490550_2463394_n.jpg

40415_462707964601_632169601_6490551_4473633_n.jpg

Don't take my criticism too much at heart!

NATO schemes are hard to do and need more than one sitting to
Tweak out till you are satisfied!

When you head back to the booth.... Recut the green ( add more ) and reduce the amount of brown.

Like I said, it's a positive reinforcement guys !

You may take a look at this one.... The amount of brown is in balance...
isaksson_lav-at_13.jpg

isaksson_lav-at_36.jpg

It's not mine..... So don't kill the messenger ! I just wanna lend a hand! I know the Nato scheme
Are a pain in the butt to do..... And Redo ! I sometimes use a lead pencil to trace ( lightly ) my intentions.... Lead pencil doesn't bleed thru your paint and can't be seen after it's covered up in paint.

Take your time cutting, What is nice with light coats of paints.... You can easily cover them up!
Like I keep preaching.... NATO schemes take a few sittings to get just right!

Looking forward to your next sets of photos....

And don't worry about me.... Creeping on you! I'm not like that, I just wanted to give you a
Little tip.

Hope you will forgive me?

schweinhund227 said:
Don't take my criticism too much at heart!

NATO schemes are hard to do and need more than one sitting to
Tweak out till you are satisfied!

I think it looks fine. After some weathering it'll look more balanced.

Having just checked the references, his scheme is bang on, a little heavy on the brown on the very back, but otherwise great.

The green looks slightly bright to me, but that could just be the lighting, and your weathering coats is going to tone it all down anyway.

Biggest thing about these vehicles, is they aren't painted by hand anymore. They are all painted by robots, operating off of a software program, so all the vehicles when painted NATO 3 tone come out the exactly the same. And for a USMC LAV-AT, he has it spot on, save for a little too much brown on the 2 back corners, but that is neither here or there.

Looks good Charlie!

Latest posts

Back