Clear colours for heat affected metal?

TiM

Hi guys,
A question about creating a heat affected look or temper on metal, for example a fabricated exhaust manifold or heat shield...

I'm aware that several manufacturers make clear colours, I don't own any yet so before I do and to help in a decision process what are good and bad for this kind of use.

I used Vallejo Model Air, Model Color and Game Color as well as the old Citadel and Coat d'Arms at present, as well as FW inks amongst others.

I would also like something that will stick to bare metal (stainless steel photo etch) that is a heat shield if possible or some recommendation for prepping it to keep the shiny metal - clear coat first??

PE, you could anneal it slightly, or use some 600grit sandpaper to lightly scuff the area you want to paint. Without a primer on the metal however, you might have a hard time getting acrylics like Vallejo to stick.

Alclad has some great colors specifically for what you want to do in their Hot Metal line of paint, but you likely don't want to go out and buy a whack of paint for something you might use very little of, as well Alcald is a lacquer, so not as smell friendly as the Vallejo.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I'm not against getting the odd extra supply, I didn't want to go diving in to yet more unless it is worthwhile...

Whilst typing the first request I started thinking how - I might start by trying some gloss varnish as a carrier for ink, although some of the effects I've seen with alclad recently make it a very interesting prospect. £4.50 a bottle is a bit steep and I don't have a spray booth since my work-space is basically a bedside table as I work away from home and only have a rented room!

gloss varnish as a carrier for ink

not a bad idea !
, I have been experimenting with Future and food coloring , it makes a fantastic transparent color and sticks very well,, I used it on chrome on my 55 chev build.. it flows and sticks very well.

Latest posts

Back