Can I use the same brush for metals and colors?

luisito8m

Hey guys,

I am confused if I should use the same brushes for metals and colors.. would definitely appreciate if someone has a comment on this.

Basically, I am going to start using these Vallejo metal colors:

• Gunmetal Blue (70800)
  • Brass (70801)
  • Gunmetal Gray (70863)
  • Old Gold (70878)
  • Gold (70996)
  • Silver (70997)
  • Bronze (70998)
  • Copper (70999)

They come as a set of 8 (17ml) on a very nice box, and are not the Vallejo Liquid Metal colors that come in 35 ml, I know the alcohol based metals definitely need a different brush; but never worked with the set I bought, so that is why I am bringing the question up, I am sure someone has used them.

Thanks!
Luis

Hey there Luis,

I haven't been, and don't have a problem. I think if you were using a more metallic type of paint like say the liquid gold series I would say yes, but I don't find that the normal Vallejo Metallics are hard to clean out of the brushes, they behave the same as any other Vallejo paint.

That being said, I find that the metallics in the Vallejo Model Air range are a better metallic. Not so much for the copper and gold, but your aluminum, silver, gunmetal etc. they seem to be a bit better. And even though they are in the Model Air line, they still brush paint very well and usually in one coat as they are just a hair thicker I find than the other Air colors.

Also, something to keep in mind, Vallejo # 521 Metal Medium is just that...a metal medium. You can take it and mix it with any other Vallejo color to turn it into a metallic. Fancy a Metallic Russian Green T34.....we can do that!

Thanks for your input Scott, I've been looking for good metal colors and the reason I chose the Model metals is because I've been skeptical about the liquid gold series due to the alcohol, and they don't come on those fancy droppers!! :'(

I should definitely look into the Vallejo Air, I should at least get one bottle to see how much thin they are compared to the Model series, but from your comment seems to be pretty good, considering that the colors are better.

Do you think that I should use a different cup of water for the metals? They should be water based but really do not know if the metallic pigment does make a big difference.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Also, something to keep in mind, Vallejo # 521 Metal Medium is just that...a metal medium. You can take it and mix it with any other Vallejo color to turn it into a metallic. Fancy a Metallic Russian Green T34.....we can do that!

Is this water based as well? Sounds like a wonder-medium! ;D

Luis

Hey there Luis,

They are all the same base as the rest of the Vallejo Paints, doesn't matter if it is the metallic, regular or medium, or Model Color or Model Air.

Alex Vallejo (one of the owners of Vallejo Paint) has told me that the Model Air metallics have aluminum powder mixed in with them which makes them a little more brilliant.

As well the Model Air metallics, are thin enough to airbrush, but still thick enough to brush paint with.

You have quite a few colors.

Aluminum, Steel, Silver, Chrome, Gold, Brass, Copper, Metallic Rust, Stop Light Red, Arctic Blue Metallic, Gunmetal and Metallic Black.

Latest posts

Back