OMG the horror...can this somehow be saved???

hoakin1981

So, having established that I hate weathering, pigments (and all related stuff) and having also decided that I will built all my next Subs in a "just out of the shipyard" state (albeit with some paneliners to accentuate any details), my question to all good folks is, can this mess be somehow saved?

You see, i had read (and seen In a video somewhere) that the pigment used (the green stuff) would almost completely dull down after aplying a clear coat. Unfortunately, after applying a nice coat of matt varnish the outcome as you see was not as expected. You can imagine my horror...

I would really like to go back to the pre-weathering state but (ideally, if possible) without messing with the periscopes, antennas etc. which were of a different color and difficult to paint with a brush.

Can I somehow do that? If yes, how should i go about it???

Untitled_XXX.jpg

What is that pigment ?
It's all sealed in with clear ?
What is the clear coat ? what is the paint ? All acrylic ? or Alkyd ?

What is that pigment ?
It's all sealed in with clear ?
What is the clear coat ? what is the paint ? All acrylic ? or Alkyd ?
To address all questions:
  • The pigment is a Vallejo "Natural" one
  • Yes, what you see is after a (relatively fresh, one hour ago) coat of Vallejo matt varnish
  • All primers, paints, varnishes used are Vallejo water based accrylics except the white "salt line" which was AK Interactive enamel.

You'd need to strip it all off . down to the plastic .
You can do that with isopropyl alcohol -- should be easy to protect the very top of the sail and preserve all that .

You really only need to go up to the deck level , leave most of the sail as is
Will do. I suppose afterwards will have to start over meaning primer, paint etc.

Will there not be a color/hue difference where the two old/new (sail/rest of the boat) paint jobs meet?

It should blend back together fine .

Since that clear coat is so green you can try and rub all that off with wet cotton balls , or wet rag .
If it pulls up the hull colors then you'll need to go the solvent route above .
Vallejo isn't the best for film strength , I don't think those are cross linking polymers

Worth a try though .

Why would you clearcoat any weathering applied to a model kit? There’s no need for it.

Clearcoat is recommended rigor to weathering, never after weathering.

Vallejo is pure garbage. I’d go with a better brand of weathering products.

Latest posts

Back