Sanding the pain in the rear but often the pain needs to be endured.

Arkgene

I am a modler from a much earlier period of time but I did a lot of woodworking over the years and my grandfather was a tool and die maker. both taught me about sanding and smoothing. Gramps of course worked with mills and lathes and metal billets for the tools. When he got it all finished and before he took the part out of the machine he had a pair of very soft leather gloves he would put his hands in and rub over the entire piece to feel it. If there was a rough spot or burr left the gloves protected his hands but they caught on the bad area and he would keep working until it was perfect in his touch.
And wood working it is a lot like that too. You do your sanding and smoothing and then you rub your hands over the work and you will feel what you can not see and know that you still have work to do. I recommend this for your modeling also. When you get your sanding done and parrts washed for paint put your glove on and rub over the model and see if you feel any dips or imperfections and take care of them now instead of later when you have painted the parts.

I am a modler from a much earlier period of time but I did a lot of woodworking over the years and my grandfather was a tool and die maker. both taught me about sanding and smoothing. Gramps of course worked with mills and lathes and metal billets for the tools. When he got it all finished and before he took the part out of the machine he had a pair of very soft leather gloves he would put his hands in and rub over the entire piece to feel it. If there was a rough spot or burr left the gloves protected his hands but they caught on the bad area and he would keep working until it was perfect in his touch.
And wood working it is a lot like that too. You do your sanding and smoothing and then you rub your hands over the work and you will feel what you can not see and know that you still have work to do. I recommend this for your modeling also. When you get your sanding done and parrts washed for paint put your glove on and rub over the model and see if you feel any dips or imperfections and take care of them now instead of later when you have painted the parts.
Totally agree with you, I'm a carpenter by trade and there is no feeling like running your hands over the work when you're done.
I do run my fingertips over my builds to check for dips or ridges on the joins.
Pantherman

Totally agree with you, I'm a carpenter by trade and there is no feeling like running your hands over the work when you're done.
I do run my fingertips over my builds to check for dips or ridges on the joins.
Pantherman
Running my hands over dips and ridges. Hmmmmm, not for many months, ooops........ Way, Way off subject........ Happy New year

Running my hands over dips and ridges. Hmmmmm, not for many months, ooops........ Way, Way off subject........ Happy New year
Steady my friend !!! It's not that sort of modeling.
Happy New building year to you and yours.
Pantherman

I had a brother like that, worked in a mold shop, stated out on Bridgeports, lathes, then boring mills and finally polishing. For a hobby he was making a telescope, polished the lens by hand. I was a lowly welder, iron worker then went into a machine building company, working with stainless steel that had to be smooth, for paper industry and food services, made huge vats. I learned fast the art of grinding and polishing to a "cotton ball" finish, an inspector would use a cotton ball, if it stuck to your finished work it wasn't finished. I did that for 42 years, now I just get close nuff!!

Latest posts

Back