New to this

Yorkie3621

Just about to start my first model (1/32 Revell Spitfire)
I used to love building these when I was a kid but could never afford to paint them and probably would've sucked at it anyway.

What should I buy to begin/learn to paint the models?

Thanks

Welcome Aboard !

Are you asking what type of paint and brushes etc ?
What tools and material do you have currently ?

Just about to start my first model (1/32 Revell Spitfire)
I used to love building these when I was a kid but could never afford to paint them and probably would've sucked at it anyway.

What should I buy to begin/learn to paint the models?

Thanks
Hi and welcome. I have only been modeling for just over a year and I have found that if you try every method of painting you sort of settle into your preferred way of doing things.

I mainly use vallejo paints and found them very good especially for brush painting, bit more tricky to get them thinned for airbrushing but you kind of get to know after a few models.

Anyway lot's of help here and many more experienced members than I to answer questions.
Pantherman

I will say that besides finding a good forum like this one for answers or suggestions, which is the first step in getting back to the hobby, welcome aboard. First you can and most likely will end up with a myriad of answers with such an open question. Are you looking for a particular type of paint ie acrylic or enamel? Do you desire to brush paint or spray and if spray are you wanting to use an airbrush or rattle cans? Youtube is priceless for watching demos of different techniques and products. Doogs models is a good place to read and learn about some different techniques of painting aircraft models. Most of all don't get discouraged, find a cheap model or two to practice on sometimes referred to as paint mules if you choose to go with an airbrush, and I'd probably use 1/48th for practice since 1/32 is a bit more expensive.

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the Herd, Yorkie!

As far as painting goes, I'd keep it simple to start. I do recommend using spray cans to start. You'll get better results than hand-brushing, and learning to spray is good practice for such time as you might invest in an airbrush. That's what I did, I practiced using a light touch with rattlecans-learning to apply the paint lightly, learning masking with tape, etc.

I recommend using a primer as a first coat, and then applying your finish colors. I use Tamiya products, mostly, but there are others. Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer is an excellent product. It covers well, doesn't obscure fine details (unless you lay it on too thick, but like I said, you can practice the touch), and Tamiya has a series of aircraft colors in rattlecans, too. If you have a hobby shop near you, chances are they carry Tamiya's products, but you can also find them online, from TamiyaUSA's site or other online vendors.

Remember what the New Yorker told the tourist who asked how to get to Carnegie Hall: "Practice, practice, practice." The more you build, the better you'll get. But remember, too, that it's a hobby, and you should enjoy what you're doing.

I look forward to seeing your Spitfire!

Best regards,
Brad

So many great people with so many answers and great advice on this site.

Welcome aboard!

I started with hardware store rattle cans and Testors paints.

I recently came back to the hobby about a year ago. And found that Vallejo paints are better for me. Their Model Air is thinner and great for me, since I'm not good at thinning paint for airbrush. I am not good at airbrushing but I give it my best.

Since I've returned to the hobby I have completed 3 planes and 3 tanks. At the present I'm working on my fourth tank all done with Vallejo paints and washes.

For my brushes I'm using a lot of my old watercolor brushes and soft acrylic brushes of various sizes.

In addition to this site I watch a lot of YouTube videos.

OOOPPPPSSSS....I forgot, sometimes I use paper masks on large areas then secure them around the edges with Tamiya tape. I use Tamiya AS and TS spray.....PS is not used as it is for polycarbonate like RC car bodies.
Tamiya Spray paint.JPG

I only brush paint smaller details. I used Model Master paints but they are no longer available so I now use Vallejo Model Color acrylic which is excellent for brush painting, if too thick I use their thinner, Thinner Medium and mix it in a small pallet. I clean the brushes with 90% isopryl alcohol.
Model Color-Vallejo.JPGMustang 5.JPG

Last edited:
I only brush paint smaller details. I used Model Master paints but they are no longer available so I now use Vallejo Model Color acrylic whis is excellent for brush painting, if too thick I use their thinner, Thinner Medium and mix it in a small pallet. I clean the brushes with 90% isopryl alcohol.
View attachment 98430View attachment 98431
I'm a vallejo fan.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230318_113412.jpg
    20230318_113412.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230318_113245.jpg
    20230318_113245.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 5
I use Vallejo's Model Color, among other brands of water-based acrylics. I use them with a wet palette and water, though. I also use Andrea, Lifecolor, and craft-store brands Apple Barrel, and Folk Art, all with the wet palette.

I hand-brush Tamiya acrylics, too, but with Tamiya's proprietary thinner. I use a jar of the thinner, pick up color on the brush, dip this in the jar, and get a consistency I like when I apply it to the piece.

Regarding masking, I'll add that I will use PostIt notes occasionally, too. Especially for sharp-edged patterns like Luftwaffe camo schemes. You can use the full edge or cut them for patterns, too.

Latest posts

Back