How can I best repair this decal damage?

trelane

I'm working on the Round2 1/1000 USS Excelsior model. I've been applying decals to the upper saucer section and damaged one of the Aztec decals by accidentally scraping it. In the picture below, I have a red circle around the damage.

I want to repair this and am wondering the best way. Should I use my fingernail to scrap off a rectangle along the grid lines and then cut a spare decal to fit the empty spot? Is there a better tool for decal removal that doesn't risk making the situation worse? Any other general suggestions for this spot?

1687806849321.png

Very sad. Are there similar decals on the underside trelene ?

If there are wonder if you could manage to salvage from a few small parts to make the the up the damage. If they are sealed perhaps not possible.

Think otherwise I would tidy it & leave it. Trying to replicate could make it worse by bringing attention to the area.

Laurie

Very sad. Are there similar decals on the underside trelene ?

If there are wonder if you could manage to salvage from a few small parts to make the the up the damage. If they are sealed perhaps not possible.

Think otherwise I would tidy it & leave it. Trying to replicate could make it worse by bringing attention to the area.

Laurie
I have spare decals to use so it's not a replacement problem. I'm just not sure the best way to remove the remaining broken part to replace it.

You should be able to cut a perimeter , with your finger nail ? -- I suggest light pressure on a hobby blade , then carefully and slowly rub off the decals using a damp swab ( Q-tip ) .
dabbing the damaged decals with setting solution ( Micro Sol , Markfit etc ) will make it easier .

I have spare decals to use so it's not a replacement problem. I'm just not sure the best way to remove the remaining broken part to replace it.
Provided they have not been varnished a polishing stick may do the trick.
Plus a prayer.

If anyone reads this post in the future, I did end up using my fingernail to remove the broken decal portions along the panel lines. I then cut out a spare decal and applied the required portion in the empty space, with a paper backing underneath the excess. Once the applied portion was dry, I used a hobby knife to cut it to the right size and remove the excess.

Latest posts

Back