How I use & apply CA (Super Glue)

Laurie

This is my way of using CA. Just help for those entering this mad model making world.

Pictures below. Made some time ago. Unfortunately (to lazy to change pictures) activator I use is Loctite. The one in the picture they only sell 50 at a time. This would take me past my living time on this earth. But get 50 of us together & I will buy them.

Just add. The Loctite activator is applied to one of the items to be stuck together. The CA to the other item to be stuck. The beauty here is you only need to 2 hands. The c/a with Loctite will cure enough after 15 or so secs giving enough time to adjust the items firmly into place.

This is my way. Please feel free to add your comments or & how you do it. How we learn.

Laurie

All items are on Amazon or Ebay. Any problems just let me know.

Attachments

• 1eAMhn.jpg
    1eAMhn.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 9
  • d2PCrO.jpg
    d2PCrO.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 10
  • CNI21W.jpg
    CNI21W.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 9
  • zP7WUJ.jpg
    zP7WUJ.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DTqauO.jpg
    DTqauO.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 7
  • B2YPaG.jpg
    B2YPaG.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8
  • rNvwYP.jpg
    rNvwYP.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 9
  • j6nP3u.jpg
    j6nP3u.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Definitely go with the blue. Pantherman
My problem would be fixing PE.

I use the very thin C/A to wick around the edges gives a superb
fixing all edges glued well with out any need for filling.

The C/A is so thin wipe off after placing the c/a & no trace of the glue.

The way I would do it.

Use, forgotten the term used, melted down with cement gooey plastic.

It slightly melts the side of the gap, just as cementing pieces together. Will not crack.

Tried it years ago. CA does not have the same tensile strength & is liable to crack
away from the plastic..

The filler , also being plastic, it will take for instance Mr Surfacer 500 to fill over the top & above the crack & sand down well being of a similar hardness.

Laurie

The way I would do it.

Use, forgotten the term used, melted down with cement gooey plastic.

It slightly melts the side of the gap, just as cementing pieces together. Will not crack.

Tried it years ago. CA does not have the same tensile strength & is liable to crack
away from the plastic..

The filler , also being plastic, it will take for instance Mr Surfacer 500 to fill over the top & above the crack & sand down well being of a similar hardness.

Laurie
Another way. I have strips of plastic, made by Plastruct, in various sizes square round oblong etc.

Lace the gap with cement & place in a piece of Plastruct if necessary 2 pieces to fill the gap. Finally coat with cement. Already to receive a filler as mentioned above. Good strong joint.

Laurie

Last edited:
For attaching PE the best is to use thin glue 1-5 secs. Does not leave drops around the place to scrape of as thicker c/a. I use Rocket but not saying it is any better than others. Just I know its characteristic.

Most important for me is to use a bit of thin tape to position item. Just hem at a couple of points to secure the item in position. Then the rest is easy just wick in the c/a on the edges.

Latest posts

Back