Super Glue Removal

BobFromEHampton

Building the Italerei MAS boat - part of that build is the clear plastic - perhaps acetate - pilot house "windows". Anyways I royally messed it up on the two windows on the front of the pilot house and have Super glue on the window. Now, this is my second try at this after asking Italerei for another sheet of the pilot windows. Been out of the hobby for many years and getting back into it. Anyway, is there any way of removing the glue and still maintain the integrity of the window to I can try again?

Appreciate any help!

-Bob

Any photo of the extent of what you're talking about ?

Generally , you'll need to sand off the CA using very fine sanding sponges and restore the clear by polishing and using something like Glade ( Future ) acrylic as a top coat .

Solvents that will remove it such as acetone and nitromethane will attack the plastic ( polystyrene ) .
You might be able to break the CA loose eventually with repeated soakings with hot water and or isopropyl alcohol but isopropyl will dissolve acrylics so this might not be possible if the part is installed in an acrylic painted assembly .
Isopropyl has no effect on alkyd paints ( enamel ) .

On the inside surface ?
It's hard to discern exactly the magnitude of the issue from such a small image .
Before you get into an involved recovery process , I'd suggest coating the inside surface ( or the side the CA is ) with a film of brush applied " Future " , ie Pledge Floor Care Finish .
That might make it disappear .
Thin coat only . You can brush a dollop on and allow the excess to flow off onto the surrounding bulkhead .

You can do test removal on a piece of the clear sprue so you can experiment with various solvents and sanding so you know what to expect prior to addressing the model itself

Is it this kit ? :

1357527-43732-73-1080.jpghttps://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-5626-mas-568-4a-serie-w-crew--1357527

It is on th inside. Sorry - the picture doesn't do the disaster justice. I will try Future on some of the extra window material, maybe put some super glue on it and try the Future on that. The devil is those windshield wipers - that circle on the box cover and yes that is the kit. I have the 2 E-boat ones as well to be built, this is my build-skills-again one, using airbrush, etc. I really do appreciate your time and replies.

Latest posts

Back