Chipping with Elmer's glue

mr lucky

Greetings ... a few years ago I saw a video where the guy was using Elmer's Washable School glue for a chipping medium, he also used enamel paints for the top coat. I finally got around to trying it this weekend and I really like the results. I used it on some scratch made1:35 corrugated metal roofing which I'll also real quick try to explain too.
For the corrugated metal I use the adhesive backed peel and stick foil HVAC tape, NOT DUCT TAPE! I peel the paper backing from it then stick that to kitchen aluminum foil. That covers the sticky and gives the metal the right feel and weight, I think. I then use the .080 corrugated siding from Evergreen as a template for the grooves. I use an old paper bone to get form the grooves.
IMG_4133.JPEG
I then prime that with RustOleum red primer.
IMG_4132.JPEG
To get the rust colors I use a variety of cheap craft paints that are sponged on and wiped on.
IMG_4122.JPG
After this dried I used a sponge to dab on the washable Elmer's, I did NOT use a clear coat over the craft paint, I've found these paints to be pretty sturdy once they dry, but I'm sure a clear coat wouldn't hurt. I then used a variety of Vallejo blues and greens airbrushed over the glue after it had dried completely. I let the Vallejo dry as I cleaned the airbrush and made some tea, then I grabbed a wet toothbrush and started gently scrubbing the paint.
IMG_4125.JPEG
IMG_4126.JPEG
I'm super happy with the results, I think I'll be sticking with the Elmer's going forward.
Erik

Latest posts

Back