How Do You Glue Clear Parts?

scaledale

Hi. When I glue clear parts like the window for this Ferrari I'm finishing, I usually scrape the paint from the frame and paint a black trim on the window to cover the glue line. With this kit, the headlight lenses go directly over their frames and trimming isn't feasible. How would you guys go about fastening the lenses so that everything has a clean clear look from the outside? It's just set in place in the second picture.

Thanks, Dale

What I usually do with windows:
8485682121_0096118c01.jpg

My problem:
8485679943_575334fc03.jpg

Spud. I just today bought some of the Aleanas glue. There were several different types of this brand so I got the variety pack that has a bottle of every kind of glue this brand offers. There is five bottles in the pack and the bottles are a few ounces each. Im told this glue is very good for clear parts. Time shall tell ha ha. Ive had very little good luck with any glue Ive used for glass to this point. Hoping this is better. I did find a glue that I tried that was $.97 cents per bottle. Its called Dap. When applied it looks like white elmers glue but dries completely clear. Ill post a pic of this glue tomorrow sometime.

I had the gf pick up some testors clear parts cement and window maker today. It's real neat stuff. I haven't tried it for gluing windows yet. On the back of the package it shows instructions how to create small widows. This is really neat. I took a scrap tree and it had about an 1/2 by 1/2 square. I followed the directions and it produced a 1/2 by 1/2 like glass window(it was so cool) so its gotta work for gluing windows on right? ;D

thorpedo66 said:
I had the gf pick up some testors clear parts cement and window maker today. It's real neat stuff. I haven't tried it for gluing windows yet. On the back of the package it shows instructions how to create small widows. This is really neat. I took a scrap tree and it had about an 1/2 by 1/2 square. I followed the directions and it produced a 1/2 by 1/2 like glass window(it was so cool) so its gotta work for gluing windows on right? ;D

That is what it is designed for. Works fairly well.

I have found that Gator Glue, the acrylic hobby glue, not the kind you buy at home depot. (you can get from elm city hobbies) works great. I've also found that white glue works just as good.

I have tried Future but I haven't been as lucky w/ that. Probably because I get impatient and touch my model before I should.

Just to update this, I couldn't find Gator Grip but tried something called Weldbond and it worked pretty good. It dried clear enough to build the side indicator lights I lost on my car trying to handle them with spring loaded tweezers. The headlight lenses sealed down tight enough to not pop off when I dropped the finished model.

Dale

I found that this glue works rather well. Its $.99 cents at Walmart and comes in a big tube. It goes on and looks just like its Elmers White Glue but dries crystal clear. I love the stuff. For the price it cant be beat in my opinion. Check it out and see if it works for you.

101_0118_zpsaea33b10.jpg

I use white glue, too, for clear parts, as well as Future. For this application, I'd use Future.

Thanks, I'll check it out. The Enzo is done. Check it out over in the Automotive thread.

Dale

G/T Engineering

GS Hypo Cement and Pacer's Formula 560 Canopy Glue are some other options.

Latest posts

Back