Removing old dried on glue.

Ive started my Del Boy Capri Pratmobile, but it came pre-built.

The clear headlamp lenses had been glued in using either old style poly cement or superglue & its turned them half misty.

I tried test fitting the 7mm lenses I bought from Kitform Services but they are too big, plus the fact they are lenses mounted onto a photoetch type material.

Is there any way I could soak the old lenses in some kind of solution to remove the years old dried on glue?

I was thinking about soaking them in white spirits, but im thinking that will melt the lenses.

I could paint them silver to cover the glue up, but only as a last resort.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Hey Wayne, are the lens flat on the back,...Could you not sand and polish the glue off,...or is the glue on the fronts too ?

Ive sanded as much as i can, but the glue remains.

The lenses are flat on the inside, im going to silver wash the outside to try & disguise the glue.

It's tough to say for sure, given that you don't know for sure what kind of glue was used.

If you think it was CA glue (superglue), you could try a cotton swab dipped in acetone, which will dissolve the glue. You have to be careful, because it can also melt styrene, though a swab soaked in the solvent won't be hard to control. I have used this method myself.

If it looks like the glue melted the plastic as part of the bond, I'd say that it was a glue designed for use with styrene, which melts the plastic to create a weld. That kind of glue, you cannot remove. You'll have to sand down the former join to get a clean surface.

You might be able to scrape the remaining glue away, too, with an X-Acto knife.

That's about all I can think of, without seeing the piece or knowing more about the glue that was used.

A dip in future can sometimes clear up problems on clear styrene. Just make sure that one edge is on a piece of paper towel to wick away excess. You can remove future with ammonia, so if you try it and don't like the results you can just remove it.

I have removed scratches from clear styrene by polishing with very fine sand paper and then the future dip.

Grendels said:
A dip in future can sometimes clear up problems on clear styrene. Just make sure that one edge is on a piece of paper towel to wick away excess. You can remove future with ammonia, so if you try it and don't like the results you can just remove it.

I have removed scratches from clear styrene by polishing with very fine sand paper and then the future dip.

Second that! I use polishing pads, which go from 1800 grit to 3600, I think, in a series of 5 or 6 successively finer grits. I recommend them highly for your tool kit.

Latest posts

Back