Basic to Rusting and weathering

Late to the party on this but I just have to say this is one of the best tutorials I have ever witnessed on weathering. :eek: I guess it hits home as I'm a car modeler and seeing these techniques used on a soft skin is just plain inspirational. This is proper weathering not what car guys normally do to hide what they botched while building. Looking forward to further installments. :)

Hi Beo! Seeds work great...try going through the kitchen spice rack too!! Lots of herbs and such are useful!

Hi Dazed! Never late BTW!! Than you for those kind words, you are too kind! lol, I suppose there is a bit of a difference from the accidental and the deliberate types of weathering! ::) Been know to do both i think! ;)

Just a small update here.

After laying down another quick clear coat to protect my works I am adding a little more color. Using Slimy Grime Light, I ran some streaking in a downward motion. Normally I would make these streaks reallly fine, however, I am blending these for some color balance rather than just streaking.

038-1-1.jpg

Next taking a flat and slightly wider brush "humid" with spirits, draw downwards thinning the streaks making sure to clean the brush regularly. What is meant by humid is dipping you brush in the spirits and blotting quickly once and then flipping and blotting the brush again on your paper towel or rag. This removes most of the thinner leaving a trace still on the brush. This will help stop tiding, ponding and complete removal of what you just put on.

040-2.jpg

After there is a nice blending with the previous streaking.

041-1-1.jpg

I will let this sit for a day or so and apply yet another clear coat. Then the final stages of this project. Adding another light wash, some dust effects and a pin wash or two.

Thanks for stopping by again!!! ;)

T it looks so worn I'm waiting for the door to fall off. You certainly have a touch for this.

T, this is a great tutorial. The pictures and descriptions are top notch. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Anthony!!! ;)

Thanks Rob!! LOL...there are plenty of insirational truck around MA ey? LOL!!

Thank you very much CT, I am glad you like!! ;D

A little more to come soon!! Thanks for hanging in there!! ;)

Good thing you aint got wheels on that thing Tod it look so real it could get up and go!!

Thank you Neo!!! I am splitting my time among a few projects at the moment, one of which you may like...or not my "winged friend" ;D. LOL!!!! This is for a Air PTO Group Build over on the Modelers Social Club.

029-1.jpg

I hope to get my SBS of Rusting completed and this one finished up soon!! Thanks for stopping by!!

DANG that thing rocks! Todd you clearly had a cup of crusty this morning because that is incredible.

LOL!! Thanks Anthony!! This little guy will make it to post at some point. I will have an update soon on the SBS truck. I sprayed some AK Dust Effects tonight and I am just waiting for it to dry. ;)

TRM said:
LOL!! Thanks Anthony!! This little guy will make it to post at some point. I will have an update soon on the SBS truck. I sprayed some AK Dust Effects tonight and I am just waiting for it to dry. ;)

Now I really want to see this. I'm almost at the same point in my current build.

How fine of a mist did you do?

Hey Beo! Thin light coats. Build it up as you go. Easiest way. I have laid down heavier coats before. Either way let everything set up for 30-45 min. Little white spirits and some light rubbing....you will love what you see. The first time you spray though, you will say "what did I do" . The rubbing will take of most of the effects on large flat areas and leave a nice build up in the corners and such!. I ran out of time tonight, but I should have a quick update tomorrow early evening EST. ;)

Hey T ,just catching up Bro ;D Impressive stuff my man !! ,makes for great reading and the pics are non to shabby either ;) ...Excellent work mate .

Chris.

Chris, I thank you much bud!

Echo, Thank you too. Just aboput done. I have been working on a quick little base and I will get some final pics up on this!

;)

Todd I've just bought a Revell old VW, purely because of this SBS thread, and I'm going to be giving it the TRM treatment woo!

Hi ya John!! That is great news...I am pleased to hear you are going to give it a shot!! Looking forward to seeing you have at it!!! I will keep an eye open!! ;)

Latest posts

Back