Applying Floor Wax to models

CY343491

Hi,
I can't find Pledge or Quickshine in my country so i've bought a floor wax from local brand. I've brush applied it to my old model which is painted with tamiya xf-49 and i couldn't get glossy effect. Do you apply floor waxes with distilled water mixture? I saw that they are pretty viscous.

Hi,
I can't find Pledge or Quickshine in my country so i've bought a floor wax from local brand. I've brush applied it to my old model which is painted with tamiya xf-49 and i couldn't get glossy effect. Do you apply floor waxes with distilled water mixture? I saw that they are pretty viscous.
What kind of floor wax? What is it's composition? Not all products called floor wax are the same.

Future, down to its last incarnation, was a liquid clear acrylic, that dried clear and shiny, and gave a shine to flooring, like vinyl, linoleum. The label specifically states not to use on hardwood floors, too. The label doesn't suggest diluting the liquid for application, but it can be diluted, for scale model use. I thinned it sometimes with water, for airbrushing, but I also airbrushed it straight from the bottle. Same goes for hand-brushing; I brushed it straight from the bottle.

QuickShine apparently has similar properties, in that it is an acrylic liquid that also dries clear and glossy. But without knowing what product you used, it's going to be practically impossible to say what you could have done to improve it.

Where are you located, by the way, if you don't mind my asking? You've mentioned in several threads that you're not able to find things in your country. It's none of my business, of course, but we might be able to give you better advice, with more information.

Not all floor wax are the same. I have a bottle of Pledge but rarely use it except for on windshields or aircraft canopies. The trouble with floor wax like Future tend to yellow over time. Invest on a proper clearcoat paint. Tamiya has gloss, semi gloss and flat clearcoat paints.

Latest posts

Back