Do folks wet sand a plastic model prior to applying a clear coat?

trelane

I have a plastic model that I've primed and paint, mostly with Tamiya spray cans. The paint has cured for a few days at least, some parts much longer.
Where I'm unclear is whether I should wet sand prior to a clear coat or after the clear coat? I've found schools of thought for both ways and am trying to get a consensus. The paint itself feels a bit tough; if I compared to sandpaper, maybe 600 grit.
Note that this is a sci-fi model, not a car. So my focus is ensuring the model is attractive and the decals don't silver - but I don't have a particular focus on "polish" the way some model car enthusiasts seem to.

I don't think decal silvering has anything to do with this and orange peel is unwanted texture in the color coat from the coating curing without leveling which has a couple of causes .

If the paint looks good , 600 grit isn't perceptible , then a nominal clear coat application alone is sufficient if you're just going for a higher sheen .

Personally , I think you really want to wet sand it so you should definitely do that . ;) :D

Post some pix !

I don't wet-sand prior to applying a clear coat for decals. I do wet-sand when sanding resin, to keep the dust down as much as possible.

The clear medium itself should give you enough of a smooth surface to reduce the chance of silvering (ie, air trapped under the clear carrier film in tiny pits in the surface).

I don't think decal silvering has anything to do with this and orange peel is unwanted texture in the color coat from the coating curing without leveling which has a couple of causes .

If the paint looks good , 600 grit isn't perceptible , then a nominal clear coat application alone is sufficient if you're just going for a higher sheen .

Personally , I think you really want to wet sand it so you should definitely do that . ;) :D

Post some pix !
I don't want to wet sand at all actually; I'm more afraid of regretting it if I don't

It doesn't sound like you need to wet sand but can you share a few pics to show what you're concerned with ?

Mmm,
I downloaded the image so I could magnify it .
Yeah , the paint looks uneven . Mottled .
Wet sand and respray it ?
You're using rattlecans ? It looks like you're spraying from too far away .
( and I can see a couple of gate marks , from the sprue , on that door )

Oh here it is
Ya what Uru said,,If the paint is pebbley you need to wet sand before clear for your decals

Latest posts

Back