Another Dragon P51 Mustang 1:32

Moon Puppy

I understand there is a lot of excitement about the new Tamiya P51 in 1:32 scale, shoot, I'm excited also. I have had this Dragon kit in my stash with a Big Ed set for a long time, just the fact that I still appreciated the Big Ed sets tells me it's been a while. But I started it the other week after getting Jerry Rutman's resin set. Who knows, this may be the last Dragon kit build online! ;D

This is a build I have been threatening to do for a long time. Doing it for "Operation Overlord" over at Modeler's Alliance.

P51D003.jpg
Built the engine but not going to show it, the build will be buttoned up and clean. May load the bombs, or tanks. not sure yet. But going for that Alclad NMF on this. No open panels anywhere. Flaps may be down, control surfaces in neutral position because the stick lock is in place on the resin.

P51D004.jpg
OK, not much to look at right now.

Using stuff from both the Big Ed and Rutman's Resin to get the look I'm wanting. Also using some online pictures of the cockpit and bunches of references I've tucked away over the years.

The floor of the cockpit was first painted with a wood grain sealed with enamel clear coat, then acrylic flat black. Then I took a spotter brush with some windex on it and scrubbed off the wear spots.

The Yellow Chromate...yea, way too yellow. I don't have anything other than green. any suggestions on the mix I should do to get zinc chromate? I'm using oils on this, that's Cadmium Yellow.

Suggestions, comments and ROTFLYAO are welcome.

Re: Trumpeter P51 Mustang 1:32

That Resin looks great. So is this the Trumpeter or Dragon? I'm building the Dragon kit right now too ( http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3268.0.html )

Have you tried Tamiya's Yellow Zinc Chromate? It's a very muted yellow, especially after clearcoat and a wash. Here's a shot of it on my Blackhawk

IMG_20110701_122449.jpg

Re: Dragon P51 Mustang 1:32

D'OH! Sorry about that, yes it's the Dragon P51.

Yeah Myke, I've already been checking out your build, I think I'm subscribed to it.

I'll check out your images later, I can't see photobucket stuff while at work. Thanks for the help.

Re: Dragon P51 Mustang 1:32

Oh cool.
Yea I have that same problem at my office. Stupid firewall rules. haha

Ah yes, I see now. maybe a slight tinge of green to what I have. I'm working with oil colors on this one color. I don't have much call for it and don't see buying it in the near future. Thanks Myke.

I renamed my thread... 8)

FYI: I picked up some Testors MM Chrome Yellow and that seems to be a perfect match to what i've seen in photos. I may have found a winner.

test fitting with the IP in place and I end up with about a 3mm gap right above it. Can't close up the fuselage. Guess I should have thinned the side walls down to paper thin. I can't trim the IP itself.

Think i'm going to puke...

Oh yeah, the Gear suck.

is that long snakey tube below where the pilots seat is, a relief tube?

considering those airplanes would be in the air for as long as 6 or more hours at times thats what i am guessing it is.. people need relief.

If my OLD brain serves me right....

I believe the P-51 Zinc-chromate used in factory depended on its Source !

Depending where in America those Plane sections were Made.... the Zinc-Chromate would be either a yellowish tint or the Greenish tint....

Check your books or Pick a colour !!! I am sure either could be right !!!

Looking good this far !!! Glad to see YET another Dragon P-51 Myke has some company !!!

Later !

Norm.

As someone said, NAA is short for No Aircraft Alike.

I just like the different tones on the inside.

Norm I didn't realize that chrome yellow comment was about the Zinc. I have plenty of chrome yellow, thought it was too yellow for the zinc. I just greenwashed over the yellow I had already in place and after a wash or three, I think it'll pass. Thanks!

Chrome yellow was common on P-47s (in the wheel wells and such) but I dont think I've ever seen it on P-51s. Not to say it wasn't, but a greenish yellow zinc chromate would be a better color for a P-51 I think.

Norm is right about zinc chromate not being the same shade from factory to factory. For instance, the interior color of a B-17 could be found anywhere on the green or yellow spectrum. Like he said, check some sources and just choose what you want.

Is that wee tube the one that comes in the kit? or is that molded in with the resin piece?

The Relief tube is part of the resin set, btw, this is Jerry Rutman's cockpit work. Really nice detail such as the tube.

Myke that tube shouldn't be too hard to replicate if you wanna do it. It sat under the seat and may not even be visible by the time I get the seat installed.

OK, who's sandbagging on the GFactor P51 landing gear.

All my usual sources are out of stock and i'm willing to bet they will not restock because of the Tamiya kit on the horizon. I know one of you horders out there has a set you can spare, give me a shout if you wouldn't mind getting rid of them. Buy or trade are options.

schweinhund227 said:
If my OLD brain serves me right....

I believe the P-51 Zinc-chromate used in factory depended on its Source !

Depending where in America those Plane sections were Made.... the Zinc-Chromate would be either a yellowish tint or the Greenish tint....

Check your books or Pick a colour !!! I am sure either could be right !!!

Looking good this far !!! Glad to see YET another Dragon P-51 Myke has some company !!!

Later !

Norm.

i think your right, the inerior was more of a greenish color, while the instrument panel was a flat black, same as with the inside of the landing gear, but some of those parts i believe where a natural silver color too..

Moon Puppy said:
OK, who's sandbagging on the GFactor P51 landing gear.

All my usual sources are out of stock and i'm willing to bet they will not restock because of the Tamiya kit on the horizon. I know one of you horders out there has a set you can spare, give me a shout if you wouldn't mind getting rid of them. Buy or trade are options.

Curious no? The Tamiya is almost perfect, yet folk need to buy $ resin for it. Yet while that same resin had sat for months and years in the stores, nobody touched it for the kits it was meant for. We are an odd lot.

Yepper! Tamiya has to uphold the torch! They never disappoint! Take a look at their new Spitfires.
And you will understand why its 200$

LoL

Latest posts

Back