AMT Trek K'Tinga ST: The Motion Picture

I hear you Solly. I just did a quick dry fit of the neck, shoulder plate and both lower & upper hulls. The neck on this kit is at a disgusting 40 degree angle pointing down. At best it's supposed to be around 5 degrees. It looks like a dog sniffing for a spot. I need to sleep on this and figure out a solution. Maybe Edgar Casey can help me shed some light on this dilemma.

Classic Movie Line #23

My affinity for picking models with dreadful engineering and fit is unabated. The neck angle on this is so God awful I really do not know what to do.

neck4.jpg
neck3.jpg
neck1.jpg
neck2.jpg
badredneck.jpg

As you can see in the pics the neck is set properly to it's joining part. I thought at first I did something wrong but after 30 minutes of dry fitting I've come to the conclusion this is plainly designed wrong. The angle at the base of the neck is too steep rendering the downward angle.
In the last pic I high-lighted the area that would need extreme and radical modification. If I cut that area out and sanded it to sit flush it would dramatically effect the look of the ship. Any suggestions?

Glorfindel said:
Classic Movie Line #23

My affinity for picking models with dreadful engineering and fit is unabated. The neck angle on this is so God awful I really do not know what to do.

neck4.jpg
neck3.jpg
neck1.jpg
neck2.jpg
badredneck.jpg

As you can see in the pics the neck is set properly to it's joining part. I thought at first I did something wrong but after 30 minutes of dry fitting I've come to the conclusion this is plainly designed wrong. The angle at the base of the neck is too steep rendering the downward angle.
In the last pic I high-lighted the area that would need extreme and radical modification. If I cut that area out and sanded it to sit flush it would dramatically effect the look of the ship. Any suggestions?

You have the neck on upside down!

Glorfindel, really great work so far on this. Especially all the lighting preparation.

That neck must be upside down.

GLORFINDEL,

Great save on th side of the Neck .....This kit is def. testing th Skillz. Puttin you though your paces ... at least th Neck is on up side down & you don't have to Reengineer that party of th kit !!

Keep on Rollin' brotha' !!

Great work this week making some serious progress! ;D I never knew there was so much to do on these kits ::) Keep up the great Work!! :D

To quote Perry White "Great Caesar's ghost"! First the good news....the neck was upside down! I placed my support tube hole on the shoulder plate below the kits support slot. This alignment threw me off and I didn't realize I made the critical error. Though the kit does leave alot to be desired for a guy that doesn't look at the instructions doesn't help himself. He turns to others in the herd.
Now the bad news....I read your responses about 10 minutes too late and already used my dremel at the base of the neck!

Insert BuckWheat picture here.

LOL....guys I laughed out loud after I had seen I really did dry fit it upside down. What a cacophony of mistakes. The funniest thing is Wednesday night I placed it in correctly and I was saying to myself yesterday "hmmm, it didn't do that the other night".
The best news. I traded e-mails with Jeff at JT Graphics and he didn't get a chance to send out the other parts yet, bulb and bridge. He's sending them out along with the new neck with no extra shipping costs. My man.
I hope that's the last of my idiotic moments for this build. So until then I'll draw out my lighting scheme and do a mocked up test run before I install anything.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Glorfindel said:
Classic Movie Line #23

Are you sure you didn't let me pick the kit for you?

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Replacement parts on the way!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
My man Jeff at JT Graphics comes through big time! Get home from work tonight to see a lovely parcels box jammed into my mailbox. "Heeeeeelo" up grade parts and new neck! Wow they look great. I need to take pics tomorrow and show off the parts for comparison.

Latest posts

Back